The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My numbers increased only 10 points after one hour of eating a good size apple.

Any chance part of the apple carbs dont register on the meter ?

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
My numbers increased only 10 points after one hour of eating a good size apple.

Any chance part of the apple carbs dont register on the meter ?
Nope!

Apple has both glucose and fructose - the glucose will show up pretty quickly, the fructose a bit later - but both come through in the end.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Sorry to disagree with you John but, your meter does NOT measure fructose. The apple has fructose, a sugar. fructose get absorbed into your blood, fructose does the same damage as sugar but your meter does not measure it. Fructoes get converted by your liver to triglycerides.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
diabetes86 said:
Sorry to disagree with you John but, your meter does NOT measure fructose. The apple has fructose, a sugar. fructose get absorbed into your blood, fructose does the same damage as sugar but your meter does not measure it. Fructoes get converted by your liver to triglycerides.

Thats the reason I put forward this question. So how do i know that an apple is safe ?

·
Registered
741 Posts
sorry I'm a tad confused here lol...so apples and obviously other fruit high in fructose...do not raise blood sugar but they still do damage?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Bg did go up but only 10 point. And there were about 20 carbs. Some things dont match up

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
sorry I'm a tad confused here lol...so apples and obviously other fruit high in fructose...do not raise blood sugar but they still do damage?
I dont know ALL the ramifications of fruit,
According to my certified diabetes educator.
meters do not read fructose
fructose gets absorbed directly
fructose does the same damage as sugar (if your BG is to high, including the fructose which we cant measure)
fructose is converted to triglycerides by your liver (so what does not get used gets converted to fat).

That is my understanding. Fruit tends to spike me anyways. So I eat limited fruit.

So if your BG is low or low enough that you wont go over 140 (including the fructose which we cant measure) fruit is OK

Reactions: Genie

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Sorry - but we are slightly at cross purposes.

I don't know whether my meter registers fructose or not and I am quite happy to accept your statement that it doesn't.

However, the body handles it as a sugar and whilst it may not show on our kit - it still does the damage of all sugars just as you say.

For that reason I stand by my response that it "spikes" us and prudence when eating it is called for. :)

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
1. Your meter does not measure fructose.
2. Fructose is metabolized by the liver into triglycerides (fat) and glycogen (glucose).

This is why foods with fructose are said to not raise your BG immediately but raise it later. Your liver turned it into stored glucose (glycogen) which can be released later to raise your BG.

That said the amount your BG goes up is dependent on a ton of factors such as
* How often and quickly you measure. When I eat an apple, I spike in 30 minutes. So if I only tested at 1 hour I miss it.
* What else you have eaten recently (did you eat it with cheese or ate a fatty meal hours prior?)
* Your own insulin sensitivity at that time of the day (many do worse with carbs in the morning).
* How quickly your stomach empties (if you have gastroparesis then it could take hours to digest)
* Your gut bacteria can affect how well you are able to digest fructose, if you have fructose malabsorption then much of it won't make it to your liver and will be eaten by the bacteria in your gut (causing discomfort and gas).
* Your hormonal state and health. Estrogen, testosterone, leptin, etc all affect how well your body uses insulin and glucose.

I don't really have a point, just trying to provide some helpful facts. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Apples are 1 fruit I can enjoy. I don't get a huge spike from them and don't see it in my numbers the next day like I do with some foods.
Everyone handles them differently though I'd say.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I can eat a few wedges of apple, if I use enough peanut butter on it. But a few wedges only - not a whole apple, not apple salad or apple pie or applesauce or anything else "apple".

·
Registered
782 Posts
Apples are 1 fruit I can enjoy. I don't get a huge spike from them and don't see it in my numbers the next day like I do with some foods.
Same. But then, I've only eaten them in the afternoon, which is my most carb-tolerant time of day. I have more problems with bananas, for some odd reason.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Same. But then, I've only eaten them in the afternoon, which is my most carb-tolerant time of day. I have more problems with bananas, for some odd reason.
Bananas are a notorious fast & hard BG bumper. But if you can get GREEN (unripe) bananas, their carbs are resistant starch & shouldn't bump you up too much. The caveat is (and of course there IS one - ;)) that they're nothing like a ripe banana. I use green bananas in place of potatoes. As soon as I get the bunch home, I peel them (with a knife - they're too unripe to peel otherwise - score the peeling lengthwise in four or five places, and the strips will usually peel down smoothly), drench them in lemon juice to prevent oxidation, and cook them for 1 - 1½ minutes per banana in the microwave. Then I refrigerate them until I want scalloped "potatoes" or something equally potatoe-y. This is all Marty's fault - he developed more/better ways of using green bananas, including cutting them like fries & making french fried bananas. ;)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I am a bit confused. I have understood two things

1. Does this mean that there is indeed a spike which exists but is not visible on the meter ? In that case does it mean that even though my meter shows 105 it may really mean 150

2. Fructose does not raise BGs directly so there is no spike in reality. Fructose gets stored in the liver and contributes to liver dumps later. So the glucose in the apple I ate contributed to the small rise in BG but the fructose got stored by the liver.

Which of the above two is the consensus of the group ?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
They're the same thing: Because fructose is processed in an alternate way, it does not make its way into your bloodstream right when you eat it, and since it isn't in your bloodstream, it can't possibly register on the meter. But it stores in your liver where it is available for later liver dumps when you least expect it. It's gonna getcha sooner or later - you're gonna spike, so just be aware . . . or beware.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Ok I am a bit confused. I have understood two things

1. Does this mean that there is indeed a spike which exists but is not visible on the meter ? In that case does it mean that even though my meter shows 105 it may really mean 150

2. Fructose does not raise BGs directly so there is no spike in reality. Fructose gets stored in the liver and contributes to liver dumps later. So the glucose in the apple I ate contributed to the small rise in BG but the fructose got stored by the liver.

Which of the above two is the consensus of the group ?
This is my understanding
  1. The glucose content will generate a modest spike fairly quickly.
  2. The fructose content will generate an invisible (to our meters) spike somewhat later after the digestion process. I think this can be as long as three hours later.
As someone has already posted, both figures depend on many things including, for instance
  1. What sort, size and ripeness of apple
  2. How sensitive you are that day
  3. What else you ate with the apple
Bottom line - I like apples, especially straight off our own tree and they don't give me an issue - but they are carbohydrate, so they have to be factored into my overall diet plan for the day and Judy won't let me near them if I'm running high! :eek:hwell:

John

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I don't recall all the details - I'll go review it if I find the time - but the video lecture called "Sugar the Bitter Truth" will explain in great detail how fructose is processed and the results. It varies a lot based on the overall amount. The small, normal amounts (like what one would get from an occasional piece of fruit) have a more benign result than the huge overdose most of us have been taking since the put HFCS and sugar in everything. Basically, his conclusion is that fructose in small quantities is a food but in larger quantities it is a a hepato-toxim ("liver poison") very similar in its effects to alcohol. The lecture long and a little comples but well worth a viewing.

Because of our shared history of large overdoses of fructose, I pretty much try to avoid it completely in all its forms.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sugar: the Bitter Truth

Sean Croxton of Underground Wellness gives an abridged/truncated description of it, and also strongly urges you to view the long version!

Here is the 90 minute version & it's well worth the time:
Dr. Lustig is a pediatric endocrinologist.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Tony,

After i saw this post this morning, I did a test..

I was 5.5 This morning.. I ate a pretty small apple...

And Guess what?

1 hour later raise till 7.2
2 hours later at 6.5

I went for a 6 kms walk: around 1.2 hours..

And after finished the walk, i test straight away

It drops back to 4.4mmol

I didnt have any meds this morning.. Just water and Apple.

PS: It was a RED SWEET Apple.. I can taste sweetness in it..

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well this morning I was at 101. Two other things happened (other than the apple I ate)

1. I ate a lot of chicken last night. My Firm had a community meet. We have another tonight

2. I did no exercise last night

1 - 20 of 28 Posts