The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this so called friend of mine who is so wrong on her eating just told me that she now use's Agava because it is just like sugar & its safe for Diabetics & it is very low on the glycemic list.

when I saw it is Fractose thats all I needed to see. am I right?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
In a lot of the Gluten Free recipes I use , Agave is their sweetner of choice. It is all fructose which may not show up on your meter but will make Insulin Resistance worse and gradually raise your HbA1c. I substitute other sweetners with some canned coconut milk , instead.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not for me - no different to white sugar as far as my body/mind is concerned...

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Actually, it is much worse than either sugar or HFCS. Sugar and HFCS are nearly identical. They are both about half glucose and have fructose. Agave is mostly fructose. Both/either are a nightmare for diabetics, but fructose is much worse and not just for diabetics but for everyone in anything but tiny amounts.

If you care for a detailed (VERY detailed) explanation, you can view it

A hepato-toxin similar in harmful effect to alcohol which among other things causes fat deposits in your liver. Your meter can't even begin to tell you the evils of this stuff.

Fructose, the consumption of which has skyrocketed over the last 40 years is one of the prime suspects in the diabetes epidemic we are now in. I can't imagine anything more ill-advised than INCREASING our consumption of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts