The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'm pretty sensitive because I've read all over that you don't usually feel symptoms of type 2 diabetes at the beginning but I can actually feel when my blood sugar goes to around 6.5 or higher. I get light-headed.

I am newly diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic but my levels have been around the pre-diabetes range for the most part.

The past 3 years that I've had blood tests my sugar was just a touch high around 5.6 and 6.0 but the latest one it was 7 and my A1c was 6.7%. But now that I've been diagnosed and have got myself a glucose monitor, I've noticed my symptoms and those symptoms have been going on for at least 3 years.

I have had numbness and tingling in my hands and feet and also felt light-headed. I wonder now if I've had diabetes for 3 years, even though it was just diagnosed. I didn't have those symptoms all the time. It would just be some days. Lately though for the past few months, I've had the numbness and tingling, and also a slight memory loss. My sugar hasn't been low. It's been high.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Yeah, in my experience, symptoms happen.

My eyes get a bit blurry and I feel sort of restless all over, with a touch of heartburn. Numbness and tingling increase, too. So far I haven't had high numbers for days on end, but if I ever do, I'm sure the brain fog will roll in thick.

Unfortunately, I must concur that you were probably diabetic long before diagnosis. That seems to be the most common experience.

How are you handling those highs?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't feel terrible during the highs, but just somewhat light-headed. I don't feel like I'm going to faint, but just a little odd. You reminded me of another symptom... for the past 2 years, my vision gets blurred sometimes. Just a little blurry.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Before being diagnosed prediabetic, I had the light-headed feeling and numbness and tingling in legs and feet. Once I got my blood sugar below 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L) - where diabetic complications can start - and kept it there, it wasn't long before all that went away. The blurred vision should disappear as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts