The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have taken B12 off and on to try to help with the extreme fatigue I've had for much longer than I've taken metformin. Maybe should start taking it again, huh?

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
My multivitamin has 250 mcg of B-12.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't, except in my daily multi-vitamin.

My wife has been taking Metformin for several years now and was recently diagnosed with B12 deficiency. We have started a several course injection therapy to restore normal levels..

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have been taking shots long before I became a diabetic. My b12 is super low due to pernicious anemia.
How often do you take shots?

·
Administrator
Type 2
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just added a daily sublingual dosage of B-12. I am going to see if it helps with the exhaustion I have been dealing with for the last couple of weeks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am curious, for those of you taking B-12, what were your lab readings?

I have seen a decline in my B-12 over the years since starting Metformin, but don't think I have felt any effects. My last reading was 353 pg/ml. The lab reference says greater than 200. The decline has stayed steady for a number of years.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I have been on Metformin for over 10 years taking 2,000mg per day. I did not know about the B12 issue until I received my newest edition of Consumers Report Magazine. In it they reviewed all suppliments as far as when you should or should not be taking them. B12 was on the list stating that if you take Metformin you may need B12! I cannot beleive I did not know this before now. I will check with my doctor next visit...!

Another example of how important this website can be........SMILE

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yes, this IS a great site to learn new stuff! I did not know about the B12 either and I was on metformin since 2011. I see the endo on Friday, but likely will be going back on metformin in the next couple of months (my body seems to need a break from it now and then) and will make sure I also get B12.

Reactions: auntiekris

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Those of you that are taking B12, how much are you taking? Is dosage based on weight or results from blood tests on your B12 or both?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just started taking B12 1000mcg and 400 mcg of Folic acid. A quick Google search suggests it's based more on age and gender. My doc apologized for not putting me on it sooner (she prescribed Met about a year ago).

And this was without any recent testing of anything but my A1c & FBG.

Reactions: div2live
1 - 19 of 19 Posts