Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Do Your BS's Rise With Severe Pain?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  righteousdude2 
#1 ·
Since I have neuropathy, fibromyalgia, and degenerative disc disease, there are days when any combination of the three can become a full fledged "pain tsunami" sending my blood sugars in an upward spiral. :Cry:

With that said, are any of you suffering from similar experiences? And if so, is increasing your insulin the only thing you can do to counteract the "pain storm" sweeping over your body? I'm just coming off a four day "storm" that nearly drove me to madness! :eek:

Your comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh, one last point; m neuropathy is not caused by loose sugar control. My A1C's are in the mid five range all the time. I have what neurologists say is non diabetic, rapid onset peripheral neuropathy.

Thanks for your comments, feedback, and thoughts.

Pastor Paul

#4 ·
Thanks

I've been going to pain management classes so long that I can teach the class. Actually, my HMO felt I reaped as much as one person could possibly reap from the class, so they stopped paying for classes about five years ago.

My shrink moved me to mental health classes that dealt with pain, and once again, the HMO says I maxed out on benefits last year.

I have all the support and understanding I can possibly ever hope to have. It is just dealing with the pain.

I have an arsenal of med's (Extended Release Morphine, Immediate Release Morphine, and Gabapettin); Zolstrix, Capacian Seed Cream; bio-feedback techniques; TENS unit; pressure point technology, etc.

Sometimes I simply exhaust all of these sources, and it leaves me in tremendous pain limbo.

When the neuropathy and fibromyalgia flare up together, I am in big trouble. Everything has subsided, as of today, but when it's raging throughout its areas of interest, it can be overwhelming.

I wrote a great book on pain and suffering, and it has been well received. I have a cult following in the area of Print on Demand books, and Thorn D is one of three books, I've written.

When I left the pain management group, the leader, and MFT, told me privately that I had taught him tons about pain and suffering, Today, he is heading the Pain Management Department at my HMO. I like to think that, along with others in the class. We helped give birth to the importance of managing individual pain. You gotta remember, 15 to 20 years ago. Most medical and mental health counselors felt pain was simply in the person's head. :violin:

So thanks for bringing up the thought of attending pain management classes, it is something many on the forum ought to look into as a helpmate to get them through those rough times.

Pastor Paul

G
#3 ·
I definitely notice my BGLs increase with pain and stress too. I just got back from visit with my doc and I've been told I must get quality sleep... that's my focus for now.... but having hypos and pain all the time is not helping. He has given me this new drug to try called Circadin (Melatonin) which he says is mild like taking a panadol as far as sleeping aides go... but should give me ability to wake up if I need to. Will see how I go. :D If you're in severe pain... Jen's suggestion about pain management clinic may be a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.