The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is a low. If my BG are under 150 I am good.

I see folks here who are stressed out if thier # are even over 100. or even 90.

Am I being told something not correct? Or what. :confused:

·
Registered
554 Posts
What did your doctor give for the reason for such high numbers?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I would certainly disagree with your doctor. What is his reason? I consider 140 a too high # for me. I try to maintain 90-120 at all times.
I agree 140 is too high. I am not taking insulin or any other medicine right now and try and stay 90 to 120 also. I get an occasional 130 single test. My doctor told me if I hit 140 get back on my insulin. 140 is too high as a constant in my book. What does the 140 convert in a A1c I wonder. I would think it to be high.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Many of us got similar advice from our docs. My educator explained to me that once you're diabetic, preventing lows is top priority.

Trouble is, highs are every bit as damaging, and the dangers to self and others (brain fog while driving, for example) share a lot of similarities.

Levels of 140 and above cause cellular and neurological damage.

I aim to keep between 75-120. I do get the occasional quick spike, but I try to keep that nonsense down to an absolute minimum. (I don't get lows.)

·
Registered
930 Posts
I dunno but I have heard that at 120 mg/dl one's immune system is up to 75% defeated so over that one can expect more infections and slow healing wounds.

Bearing in mind that I quit taking meds (Glyburide and Metformin) for 4 years until I developed neuopathy because of the "death warmed over" horrible hypos that I was experiencing. Like on my lab report it stated my blood sugar was 42 mg/dl and it was never mentioned. It seemed that my A1c of 6.1 to 6.7% was fine by them even though it was obtained by me bouncing between 40 and 400 mg/dl. I disagree with that!

ColaJim

is a low. If my BG are under 150 I am good.

I see folks here who are stressed out if thier # are even over 100. or even 90.

Am I being told something not correct? Or what. :confused:

·
Registered
718 Posts
One of my diabetic friends believes as long as he's under 180, he's good. That's what he's been told. Most of us know that is too high of a number, but his doctor says it's okay, so that's what he does.

When I was pregnant with my first, they wanted me under 140 @ two hours after a meal, and under 100 fasting.

With my third, they'd changed to under 140 @ one hour after a meal, 120 @ two hours, and under 90 fasting. Anything under 70 was considered a low.

The reason for the new guidelines? These are the numbers that most closely emulate a non-diabetic's normal blood sugar.

So, if these are considered normal numbers, and my doc wanted me in this range while pregnant, so I could provide the most normal environment for my baby possible... then I think it's also the most ideal state for my body even when NOT pregnant.

I may be diabetic, but my goal is to have normal blood sugar numbers. Being diabetic doesn't give me an excuse to have higher numbers... it just means I have to work harder to get "normal" numbers so I can avoid any complications.

Anything under 70 is considered hypoglycemia by medical definition. Anything over 140 can cause damage. I try to stay between 70 and 120... but I don't sweat the occasional higher number. Since I am no longer on medication, I don't get lows. So, I really don't have to worry about going to low anymore...I may get down in the 80s, but no lower, and that's perfectly healthy. Non-diabetics with normal blood sugar have fasting numbers in the 80s. If it's okay for them, it's okay for me.

But if you are on medication you have to keep an eye on it because you can drop to a hypo quickly. I know I had plenty of hypos while on meds.

·
Registered
554 Posts
One of my diabetic friends believes as long as he's under 180, he's good. That's what he's been told. Most of us know that is too high of a number, but his doctor says it's okay, so that's what he does.

When I was pregnant with my first, they wanted me under 140 @ two hours after a meal, and under 100 fasting.

With my third, they'd changed to under 140 @ one hour after a meal, 120 @ two hours, and under 90 fasting. Anything under 70 was considered a low.

The reason for the new guidelines? These are the numbers that most closely emulate a non-diabetic's normal blood sugar.

So, if these are considered normal numbers, and my doc wanted me in this range while pregnant, so I could provide the most normal environment for my baby possible... then I think it's also the most ideal state for my body even when NOT pregnant.

I may be diabetic, but my goal is to have normal blood sugar numbers. Being diabetic doesn't give me an excuse to have higher numbers... it just means I have to work harder to get "normal" numbers so I can avoid any complications.

Anything under 70 is considered hypoglycemia by medical definition. Anything over 140 can cause damage. I try to stay between 70 and 120... but I don't sweat the occasional higher number. Since I am no longer on medication, I don't get lows. So, I really don't have to worry about going to low anymore...I may get down in the 80s, but no lower, and that's perfectly healthy. Non-diabetics with normal blood sugar have fasting numbers in the 80s. If it's okay for them, it's okay for me.

But if you are on medication you have to keep an eye on it because you can drop to a hypo quickly. I know I had plenty of hypos while on meds.
My husbands doctor has told him for 15 years that it is good if his numbers stay under 180 after meals and fasting under 120. My doctor said he wants my fasting under 100 and after meals under 160. I didn't listen and keep my meals under 120. Occassionally I go over when eating out but that is not a pattern.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I agree 140 is too high. I am not taking insulin or any other medicine right now and try and stay 90 to 120 also. I get an occasional 130 single test. My doctor told me if I hit 140 get back on my insulin. 140 is too high as a constant in my book. What does the 140 convert in a A1c I wonder. I would think it to be high.
If my calculation is correct, 140 (7.7) would be an A1c of 6.5

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think a lot of us have been given bad information from doctors and dieticians. I was always told 140-180 were good numbers after meals. It wasn't until I did my own research that I found normal people are usually under 100. No one know when damage begins but I am not going to tempt fate. Actually under 70 is defined as a low. If you can keep bgs in 80-110 range you are doing great.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If my calculation is correct, 140 (7.7) would be an A1c of 6.5
my A1c is 6.1. as of yesterday. 1month ago 8.3.

so am I to ignore her advice ?
As I was leaving she did say I was doing great & keep it up lol.

But then she did say to slack off on heavy cream, butter, eggs, fatty meat, salt. I am on Lipitor now.

That said I had bacon, eggs & coffee with Heavy cream for breakfast. :D

I am so confused as to what to believe & to do. I hate to change Doc. She is a100 times better then the first one I had. He was just no-account. I didn' t like him at all.
I feel like I am some sort of do this , no do this merry go round.

60 carbs per day. 1200 calories. mostly I am under both these ##. my lantus was lowered to 20units.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think a lot of us have been given bad information from doctors and dieticians. I was always told 140-180 were good numbers after meals. It wasn't until I did my own research that I found normal people are usually under 100. No one know when damage begins but I am not going to tempt fate. Actually under 70 is defined as a low. If you can keep bgs in 80-110 range you are doing great.
when I am 80/88 I feel dizzy & shakey. She , Doc said that is a low.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
when I am 80/88 I feel dizzy & shakey. She , Doc said that is a low.
It's not technically hypoglycemia, it's simply low FOR YOU.

Once your body gets accustomed to being at healthy levels, you won't feel low unless you get around 70. My body never really lets me stay there anyway, it will always do a liver-dump (a release of glucose into the bloodstream by the liver) when I get close...

I echo what others have said - keep your numbers under 140 after meals, and if possible under 100 fasting.

Many doctors are told the higher numbers because there is a concern for hypoglycemia for some patients... however unless you take insulin it's almost impossible to become hypoglycemic under normal circumstances. As such, the closer you can be to regular numbers, the healthier you will be...

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
my A1c is 6.1. as of yesterday. 1month ago 8.3.
Carolina, that is awesome. Seriously awesome. If you keep doing what you're doing, you'll be in the 5% club the next time -

I agree it's confusing and frustrating. Here we are, a bunch of people with diabetes, getting results from not doing what the mainstream tells us we should be doing. But there =are= docs who agree with us about eating fewer carbs, healthy fats aren't evil, etc - it's just that there are far fewer of them.

We all have to make our own decision of course, but I'm choosing to continue doing what has given me success, and even the Diabetes Educator who called a couple months ago to check on me is no longer trying to convince me to do it her way. She admitted there's a doc in town who is always telling her that she (and the ADA) tell people to eat too many carbs.

It seems very logical that if we want to be healthy, that emulating the healthy body of a person without diabetes is the way to go.

As for hypos, I'm not on insulin so it's not an issue for me, but I've been impressed with Shalynne's numbers for example. She's on insulin and has truly great fasting numbers in the 70's and 80's without going hypo.

Your shaky feeling when you are in the 80's is most likely your body just not being used to those numbers. At first I got that when my fastings went into the 90's. I think it's hard to tell where our body will find its sweet spot until we give it a little more time -

Mostly, you've got a lot to be proud of. Congrats.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Carolina, that is awesome. Seriously awesome. If you keep doing what you're doing, you'll be in the 5% club the next time -

I agree it's confusing and frustrating. Here we are, a bunch of people with diabetes, getting results from not doing what the mainstream tells us we should be doing. But there =are= docs who agree with us about eating fewer carbs, healthy fats aren't evil, etc - it's just that there are far fewer of them.

We all have to make our own decision of course, but I'm choosing to continue doing what has given me success, and even the Diabetes Educator who called a couple months ago to check on me is no longer trying to convince me to do it her way. She admitted there's a doc in town who is always telling her that she (and the ADA) tell people to eat too many carbs.

It seems very logical that if we want to be healthy, that emulating the healthy body of a person without diabetes is the way to go.

As for hypos, I'm not on insulin so it's not an issue for me, but I've been impressed with Shalynne's numbers for example. She's on insulin and has truly great fasting numbers in the 70's and 80's without going hypo.

Your shaky feeling when you are in the 80's is most likely your body just not being used to those numbers. At first I got that when my fastings went into the 90's. I think it's hard to tell where our body will find its sweet spot until we give it a little more time -

Mostly, you've got a lot to be proud of. Congrats.
My doctor is very pleased with my progress and as far as low carbing, he said I am doing it right but technically, he can only recommend the ADA diet as it is in his contract with the clinic. They are not allowed to recommend any other diet plan.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Normal people go go above 100. My sister (non-diabetic) clocked 120 30 mins after a meal. According to Blood Sugar 101, 140 1 Hour after and 120 2 Hour after meals is okay.

Secondly, Metformin, the most common drug for T2 does not causes Hypos. Also your body automatically responds in case of of low BG by releasing glucose.

I am pretty sure most of you guys who experience hypos worry too much about a low carb diet. For sure go for a low carb diet but dont over do it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Normal people go go above 100. My sister (non-diabetic) clocked 120 30 mins after a meal. According to Blood Sugar 101, 140 1 Hour after and 120 2 Hour after meals is okay.

Secondly, Metformin, the most common drug for T2 does not causes Hypos. Also your body automatically responds in case of of low BG by releasing glucose.

I am pretty sure most of you guys who experience hypos worry too much about a low carb diet. For sure go for a low carb diet but dont over do it.
Metformin can cause hypo's although not commonly. Also, low carbing can deplete or limit some of the stored glycogen so you may not have enough to "kick in".

·
Registered
718 Posts
I was diagnosed Type 2 right around the same time I got pregnant, though I didn't know I was pregnant until a month later... my doc immediately put me on Glyburide which causes the body to release more insulin, and therefore can cause hypos.

My fasting was in the 260s when I was diagnosed. I have no idea what my postprandials were. Though I didn't have any symptoms of high blood sugar, my body thought that was "normal."

So when I started the Glyburide I immediately felt, dizzy, shaky, and thought I was going to pass out.... checked my blood sugar and it was 109 - a perfectly NORMAL number... but for my body, it felt "low." The next time I felt hypo it was in the 90s, then 80s, then 70s.... but then after a month or two, I adjusted and only had hypo symptoms when I hit the 60s. I spent most of my day in the 70-90 range and was fine.

It takes a little while for our bodies to adjust to normal blood sugar when it's been so high for a while. Our bodies react with hypo symptoms at first... but once it gets used to normal numbers you'll feel fine in the 70-80-90 range. If you DO feel the hypo symptoms, no matter what the number, you should treat it...just a little bit, b/c you don't want to overcompensate and then go high.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My doctor is very pleased with my progress and as far as low carbing, he said I am doing it right but technically, he can only recommend the ADA diet as it is in his contract with the clinic. They are not allowed to recommend any other diet plan.
This is just insane . . . that a political entity has this much influence on medical care in this country! Big Pharma & all their money - that's what greases the wheels! :mad:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts