The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my doctor added Metformin ER 500MG to my diabetes treatment plan. I took Metformin for a VERY brief period in 2000, but it made my stomach really upset and I stopped taking it. I now need more help with my pathetic insulin resistance, Actos is not helping enough. I have a few questions about Metformin. What type of G/I issues can I expect? Nausea, vomiting, bloating? Does taking it with food help? My doctor instructed me to take it in the evening? If the body can or does adjust to the side effects, how long does it take? Days, weeks, months? I have got to do something to help with my insulin resistance, I keep taking more and more insulin and the weight gain continues. I am planning on starting the Metformin tomorrow (Friday 9/17/10). That way if I am up sick all night, I can sleep all day Saturday. And I got my Metformin for free at Giant Eagle. I have insurance and have no co-pay right now, but who can pass up something FREE! :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
I began taking Met ER in July 2008 and didn't experience much discomfort. I did have lots of gas but that subsided after a few weeks. It seems I was in the fortunate minority as far as discomfort goes. I always take met right after a meal, never on an empty stomach which works for me. I switched doctors earlier this year and when he wrote a new rx, he wrote it for regular met, not ER. I think since my body was already used to the other, the regular didn't bother me at all. I have, however, noticed a decrease in appetite (a good thing) and lower numbers on the regular met. I wish you success and little, if any side-effects.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i too take Met ER. i take 500mg a day, ALWAYS after eating in the evening. ive never had any of the symptoms that ive heard others have/have had.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i too take Met ER. i take 500mg a day, ALWAYS after eating in the evening. ive never had any of the symptoms that ive heard others have/have had.
Do you ever experience side effects from medication? Some people are just lucky in that respect and don't get side effects from any drugs/meds.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Do you ever experience side effects from medication? Some people are just lucky in that respect and don't get side effects from any drugs/meds.
Fortunately Metformin is the only drug that ive really ever taken before, and initially i had some gas issues, but other than that, i dont think i have had any side effects for some time

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
When I first started taking metformin a had some bloating, gas and a pretty good case of the runs :( It went away after a couple of weeks. I have been taking metformin now for probably close to 20 years...I dont have any issue with it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I first started taking metformin a had some bloating, gas and a pretty good case of the runs :( It went away after a couple of weeks. I have been taking metformin now for probably close to 20 years...I dont have any issue with it.
I find it really strange that I am able to stomach erythromycin with no problems. It is known for its numerous G/I side effects.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update On Taking Metformin ER

OK, I didn't take the Metformin ER last night as planned, I chickened out. :eek: I was concerned about starting a new medication in the evening, especially one that can cause the runs and stomach issues. So, to test the waters, I took it today about 1:20PM after lunch and all that I noticed is that I was a little nauseated and some slight bloating and a little bit of gas. I was very happy! I know this is just one dose and there isn't that much of a build up in my body yet, but I think I can deal with this. :):):)

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
its recommended that Met be taken in the evening, after a meal.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Glad to hear that it wasnt all that bad for you :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its recommended that Met be taken in the evening, after a meal.
I will start taking the Metformin after dinner tonight. I just wanted to see what the side effects would be. I didn't know if I would get the runs and really didn't want to be up all night.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
I will start taking the Metformin after dinner tonight. I just wanted to see what the side effects would be. I didn't know if I would get the runs and really didn't want to be up all night.
Thats totally understandable. Who hasnt been there? lol

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update On Taking Metformin ER

I have only noticed that I have some extra gas when taking the Metformin ER. I was in the health food store the other day and I read that Artichoke Leaf Extract was good for gas so I picked up a bottle and it really does help. I am not taking a therapeutic dose yet so I will have to wait to see what happens when the time comes to increase the dose. I am happy with the results since I was expecting to have some bad G/I effects.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.