The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a bad reaction to the metformin I was prescribed. My first thread in the intro section was about it. I was going to post a link to it but the forum won't allow it yet. After calling Thursday, Friday, and Monday with no useful response from the doctor's office, I called again this morning and, well, got a little agitated and refused to be pawned off to the voice mail system again.

When I finally got to talk to a nurse her solution was she'd talk to the doctor and call me back- the same line they gave me yesterday. I was persistent and insisted on advice sooner and eventually I got to go in and talk to the doctor.

Alright, so, the metformin caused all sorts of havoc because nothing was staying in me (and I'm on seizure medication, take drugs to prevent the high fevers I get, and take medication for chronic pain) and you folks here helped me to make the decision to quit it until I could see the doctor. I had an incredibly rotten time since last Wednesday culminating on Saturday in a fever over 104, multiple seizures, and inhaling vomit when my seizures, fevers, and pain had previously been well controlled.

He had me come into the office to tell me that it was a good idea to stop the metformin and to do nothing about my diet until I saw him next week. And why couldn't he tell a nurse to tell me that last week before my meds had been out of my system so long I had a cluster of seizures?

He noticed that I was agitated (mad as hell is more like it) and asked if I felt anxious. I made the mistake of saying yes, whenever things are way out of control, I feel anxious. I think any person who has had eight losses of consciousness and also has aspirated vomit while seizing in a three day period would feel a bit anxious or upset. I think a person who didn't would be abnormal. Especially when the course of action the doctor recommends is to do nothing.

But no, he feels I have out of control OCD just because I feel like taking no action is not an acceptable action. He went on to tell me that not doing anything wasn't a big deal because he has other patients who have blood sugar numbers like 900 before they see him. Then he talked about my PTSD and told me that wanting to do something to control my blood sugar until he felt like advising me was a sign of serious OCD that needs to be medicated. He criticized me for seeking help from my health care plan when no one at his office was available and told me that making all these calls was just making me sicker and that it was unhealthy. I told him I have an appointment to see a counselor on Thursday. He wanted me to have a psych evaluation right away. I asked what the benefit of having a psych evaluation would be when I'm already going to see a counselor. He said that I needed medication and someone who isn't a doctor can't provide medication. I said I don't want psych medication, I'd rather do therapy and I already have an appointment for Thursday. He wants me to have my therapist call him when I see her. And he tried to push the psych evaluation. I told him to just tell me what to do about my diabetes and I wouldn't feel anxious. Give me something other than nothing to do about it and I'll be fine. Then he went on about my lack of trust and my PTSD some more. And then he wanted to pray with me. I said it wouldn't do any good and he told me that anyone who feels that way is in a very bad place. He brought up the psych evaluation again.

Afraid I'd be forced into a psych evaluation and afraid of being detained against my will I immediately apologized, thanked him for his time and left.

Am I wrong? Would you normal people out there be agitated or feel upset or anxious if you'd just been through five days of almost constant vomiting, eight losses of consciousness, aspirating vomit, having liquid diarrhea, and an unresponsive doctor's office? And then had the doctor have you come in, wait forever, and tell you not to do anything? Something tells me anyone who was all smiles and peaches after that would be a strange bird indeed.

Thank you for letting me vent.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Short answer, Find another doctor, do pass go, do not walk, but run and find another doctor. I can tell you I would not let any one talk to me like that. Don't even get me started on the forced religion, lets pray together, pray I don't smack you in the head when you close your eyes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And I didn't even tell you about him asking me, "Mzzz. Kylyssa, how long have you been practicing medicine?"

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am so sorry you had to put up with this doctor. I would report him to the Medical Board in your county. Call your health plan and tell them what happened and you need a new doctor ASAP. Explain to them you need to find a practice that can deal with your other conditions too, so you don't have to go through that again. The statement about you are OCD because you worry about your bgs is crazy. Just because some idiot had a 900 before seeking treatment doesn't mean the rest of us should walk around with very high bgs. I obsess if my bgs go above 130. I can imagine what he would call me. Having multiple chronic conditions does take a toll on you. I think seeing a counselor is a good idea. I'm not sure if you need anymore medications to interact with your epilepsy meds. So many doctors have this feeling that if they just over medicate us we will be quiet. Now, that is malpractice. I wish I could give you a big hug. In the meantime since you are not on any diabetes meds, try to relax and eat low carb. I'm sure the stress of the doctor's visit sent your bgs soaring. I would not go back to that doctor again.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yes, run - don't walk - as far as you can from this lunatic doctor. And then stop by the County Medical Society & tell them everything you've told us; your health plan should be willing to back you up, since they tried to help too, in the doctor's absence. This is unconscionable and his license should be pulled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts