The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting source (are they gearing up for a class-action lawsuit against statin-makers perhaps?!?) but anyhow...

AboutLawsuits - Doctor Warns About Link Between Lipitor, Crestor and Diabetes...

Published: December 2nd, 2011

Statin-based cholesterol drugs, such as Crestor, Lipitor and Zocor, may actually increase the risk of diabetes, according to a report by a prominent osteopathic physician.

Dr. Joseph Mercola, a leading physician and blogger, is warning that the cholesterol drugs, known collectively as statins, are linked to an increased diabetes risk.

Looking at a number of studies and analysis of statins in a report published on his blog on November 28, Dr. Mercola warned that statins increase insulin levels and blood sugar, resulting in one out of every 498 people placed on a statin regimen eventually developing diabetes due to the drugs’ side effects.

Dr. Mercola notes that increased insulin levels can promote belly fat, high blood pressure, heart attacks, heart disease, fatigue, thyroid disruption and have also been linked to Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease and cancer. He also states that drugs like Lipitor and Crestor increase blood sugar levels as a byproduct of preventing your body from creating cholesterol.

Statins are among the best-selling drugs in the United States, with $14.5 billion in combined sales in 2008. They use the liver to block the body’s creation of cholesterol, which is a key contributor to coronary artery disease.

In June, a study by European researchers found that patients given high doses of statins were more likely to develop diabetes than those given low doses, but determined that the cholesterol-lowering benefits outweighed the diabetes risk.

That study was a follow-up to a previous meta-analysis published in February 2010 in the Lancet by the same researchers. That report indicated there was about a 9% increase in the risk of type 2 diabetes among those who use statins.

Another study published in March in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology found that some statins could increase the risk of diabetes by as much as one-third.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
The doc I see opted not to prescribe a statin for me just for this reason.

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hopefully now doctors won't feel the need to prescribe statins to all diabetics to protect them from heart disease in the future. It has always amazed me that doctors freak out about LDL numbers even good ones but are less concerned about higher after meal bg numbers of patients. Of course we know which one causes the most damage to diabetics.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My endo will still prescribe a statin because I already have diabetes and because there aren't enough studies to prove this concern or his guideline people don't think it's a problem. I will counter that he doesn't have enough studies to conclude statins are beneficial and he will give me an evil stare and refuse to discuss it anymore saying it's more complicated than that [and I'm not smart enough to understand]. He'll then say I need a low dose statin and I'll say I don't and he'll say I'll need to write on your chart that you refused and I'll say fine. We'll depart with tension, again.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
He'll then say I need a low dose statin and I'll say I don't and he'll say I'll need to write on your chart that you refused and I'll say fine. We'll depart with tension, again.
Now that sounds familiar...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I had previously quit taking my statin (Crestor) in an attempt to see if my cholesterol could be controlled alone and with diet and exercise. I do have a hereditary predisposition to high cholesterol, and I have been on a statin for many years (started with Lipitor). My cholesterol went out the roof when I quit taking the statin (even with fish oil and other supplements to help keep the cholesterol down). Therefore, I went back to the statin and my cholesterol is so much better now. I do not think taking a statin lead me to being a diabetic since I had gestational diabetes and that was before taking statins. So, I do believe the statin does increase my bg's, I do not believe it lead me to being diabetic. With that said, I'm not crazy about taking a statin because of all the bad press, but I obviously need to take it. Perhaps with my WOE now and my lowering cholesterol numbers I'll eventually be able to quit it again with good control, however until I get down further with the number I will not and can not give up that med. Also, the report you showed said 9% develop diabetes. Those are exceptionally low odds IMHO, and because the history is there for me, I would have had to take that chance anyway. I do not believe I would have done it if it was just for the purpose of lowering chances of CAD because of diabetes.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Renee... obviously you need to make up your own mind up and discuss options with your health care providers but I am not convinced that high cholesterol (from any source) has been proven to cause Cardio-Vascular Disease.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My endo will still prescribe a statin because I already have diabetes and because there aren't enough studies to prove this concern or his guideline people don't think it's a problem. I will counter that he doesn't have enough studies to conclude statins are beneficial and he will give me an evil stare and refuse to discuss it anymore saying it's more complicated than that [and I'm not smart enough to understand]. He'll then say I need a low dose statin and I'll say I don't and he'll say I'll need to write on your chart that you refused and I'll say fine. We'll depart with tension, again.
This sounds exactly like my doctor. The evil looks I would get when I would object to statins. I am one who has very high HDL , almost 100 which makes my total cholesterol go over recomended level. I finally did give in and started one of those lesser statins (prevarastatin). Well after 15 months it destroyed most of my muscles and joints and increased my bgs to over 200+. Once I stopped the statins within weeks all my symptoms disappeared. I still have some residual muscle damage and am slowly trying to rebuild muscle. My doctor now admits that I cannot take statins and recomended I start taking CoQ10 to rebuild mitochondria that the statins destroyed.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Renee... obviously you need to make up your own mind up and discuss options with your health care providers but I am not convinced that high cholesterol (from any source) has been proven to cause Cardio-Vascular Disease.
You are the second person I've heard that from Frank. A co-worker told me that cholesterol really has no bearing on CVD according to reports. So why did they (back in the 80's I believe?) start with the whole cholesterol being so terrible for you? Ah, I think I know? That is when hydrogenated and trans-fats were introduced and diabetes and cardio disease increased at neck-breaking speeds right? Well, maybe Wednesday I'll discuss getting off this statin then. Maybe my cardio will agree. It's worth trying.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
This sounds exactly like my doctor. The evil looks I would get when I would object to statins. I am one who has very high HDL , almost 100 which makes my total cholesterol go over recomended level. I finally did give in and started one of those lesser statins (prevarastatin). Well after 15 months it destroyed most of my muscles and joints and increased my bgs to over 200+. Once I stopped the statins within weeks all my symptoms disappeared. I still have some residual muscle damage and am slowly trying to rebuild muscle. My doctor now admits that I cannot take statins and recomended I start taking CoQ10 to rebuild mitochondria that the statins destroyed.
So sorry you had such complications jwags. I hate when doctors do that. If there was no real reason to put you on that it should never have been prescribed. I do know that the statins can cause horrible muscle damage, and it can be permanent. Are you currently taking the CoQ10? I was taking it, but stopped. I don't know why I stopped. I think at one time I was taking so many different supplements in an attempt to control my health issues without medication that I got tired of taking so many pills. I think I just threw everything away one day and said that's enough! Hope you are getting there with those muscles though.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Dietary fat is a small contribution to our overall fats . . . our livers manufacture about 85% of it right in-house. ;) We have Ancel Keys to thank for manipulating his data & omitting everything in his research that didn't agree with his preconceived notions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts