The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tomorrow I have my first appointment with an endocrinologist that i have had in 3 years. Since then i haven't been able to test regularly and i haven't had a long acting insulin in the last few months so i have been trying to control with short acting......i'm really nervous about going and just wondering what i should ask.....my husband is trying to help me as much as he can but there is still a lot he doesn't know about diabetes......i guess i am looking for some extra support and insight.....i'm pretty scared.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Well don't go in there cringing. Be frank and forthright and tell the endo what has happened, and why. Then tell them what you want to do, now. If fear is the reason you have not been seen, explain THAT, too.

I am sure most endos are experienced with this situation, particularly with this economy. And yours may well order a whole slew of tests -- and there may be problems uncovered. And then on the other hand, maybe not.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well don't go in there cringing. Be frank and forthright and tell the endo what has happened, and why. Then tell them what you want to do, now. If fear is the reason you have not been seen, explain THAT, too.

I am sure most endos are experienced with this situation, particularly with this economy. And yours may well order a whole slew of tests -- and there may be problems uncovered. And then on the other hand, maybe not.
the only reason i didn't go was because i didn't have insurance.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Make sure he runs all the usual tests, HbA1c, Lipids, etc to show you exactly where you are with control. Also get new scripts for all your meds and insulins. Remember you are in charge and don't less the doctor bully you about not coming in 3 years. The important thing is you are taking control, now.

Reactions: cjmobxnc and foxl

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure he runs all the usual tests, HbA1c, Lipids, etc to show you exactly where you are with control. Also get new scripts for all your meds and insulins. Remember you are in charge and don't less the doctor bully you about not coming in 3 years. The important thing is you are taking control, now.
thank you Jwags. I know if i didn't care i wouldn't be going in to try to get myself on track. i want to be under control again. i'm so tired of being tired and not feeling good. i work out all the time and i eat really healthy but its really hard (esp. since my pump broke) trying to keep myself in check with short acting insulin alone and not being able to test so i don't even know what i am running......so i hope that he can respect enough that i'm trying to get healthy again....

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
What's making you the most scared?

If it's fear of a lecture from the doc about not coming in, jwags addressed that well. I suspect he'll deal in the moment, not the past, which is where I hope you'll keep your own focus as well.

If it's fear of where your numbers are now, then just know whatever they are is less important than the fact you are in a position now to get help, are doing it, and soon the fear will all be behind you. Fear of the unknown is always worse than reality, because at least reality we have something to work with!

It's going to be fine, and my guess is you're going to feel enormous relief afterwards - that's something to look forward to!

Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's making you the most scared?

If it's fear of a lecture from the doc about not coming in, jwags addressed that well. I suspect he'll deal in the moment, not the past, which is where I hope you'll keep your own focus as well.

If it's fear of where your numbers are now, then just know whatever they are is less important than the fact you are in a position now to get help, are doing it, and soon the fear will all be behind you. Fear of the unknown is always worse than reality, because at least reality we have something to work with!

It's going to be fine, and my guess is you're going to feel enormous relief afterwards - that's something to look forward to!

Good luck.
i think i always tend to think the worst so that when it happens i'm not as shocked......bad way to look at it i know.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
How great it would be to get back on the pump, but whatever happens today, you'll be in a much better position than you were yesterday! Take all our positive thoughts with you & keep us posted, okay? :hug:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How great it would be to get back on the pump, but whatever happens today, you'll be in a much better position than you were yesterday! Take all our positive thoughts with you & keep us posted, okay? :hug:
i will shanny......my appointment is tomorrow morning. i will let everyone know as soon as i get back. i know my a1c will be awful but i can't get it down and under control if i don;t know.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Punkrockprincess2003

Punkrockprincess2003

Please fill in on left side: Please update your diabetes type here

Losing one's pump is more serious to a type 1 than to a type 2 I would think, no? I mean a type 2 isn't going to go DKA or "dead in bed" as far as I know.

ColaJim

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So i just got back a little while ago from the Doc. and he was really nice....they tested my blood on the spot and i was right at 120 hahaha (he just laughed at me he couldn't believe it.) i won't know a lot till my blood work comes back. i have an appt. in a month and got all my perceptions for strips and everything else. i will keep updating on my sugars and stuff....its nice to have the support getting this all under control again.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Wonderful news! :tea:

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Yeah, and the important thing is what your numbers are right now, and tomorrow... the A1C will take care of itself if you take care of you.

Congrats on doing that :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
So i just got back a little while ago from the Doc. and he was really nice....they tested my blood on the spot and i was right at 120 hahaha (he just laughed at me he couldn't believe it.) i won't know a lot till my blood work comes back. i have an appt. in a month and got all my perceptions for strips and everything else. i will keep updating on my sugars and stuff....its nice to have the support getting this all under control again.
I know this is late, really late, but I'm glad to hear that your appointment went so well. I'm a T2 on insulin, so I probably can't answer many questions about T1's, but I know there are many people on here who can.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts