The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have been running a gammit of appointments for the last two weeks and I am so confused that I don't know if I'm coming or going!!!

After finding this forum I went low carb/high fat. It was tough to do, but I did it and things were looking good. My BG was coming down slowly and I was starting to see bits of weight come off at a slow but steady pace.

Then I went to see a counselor, a nurse practitioner and my doctor. I told them what I was doing and they blatantly told me I was WRONG! That I wasn't eating properly and needed to make changes. This is what they told me I should be doing:

BREAKFAST: 2 grains & starches - ie. whole grain toast, whole
grain cereal or hot cereal, or 1 small bagel or english
muffin.

1 fruit - ie. small banana or 1 c. blueberries

1 meat or alternative - ie. skim milk, yogurt, etc.

1 meat or alternative - ie. low fat cheese or p. butter

1 fat - ie. non-hydrogenated margarine

LUNCH 2 grains & starches

2 meat alternatives

Vegetables

2 fats

1 fruit - 1 c. melon or 1 small orange

AFT. SNACK 1 milk & alternatives - milk or yogurt

DINNER 2 grains & starches

3 meat alternatives - ie. lean meat, chicken, etc.

Vegetables

3 fats

1 fruit

BED. SNACK 1 grain & starches - ie. cereal, melba toast, etc.

1 milk & alternatives - skim milk or yogurt.

As I said, I don't know if I'm coming or going. This information was given to me by my medical team!!!! Now I really don't know what to believe or who to listen to!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
What I would do is listen to my meter.

You're describing the American Diabetes Association (ADA) diet. It does not work for a lot of us. Practitioners, however, will urge it upon us. If they're associated with an HMO or medical group, they may be required to recommend it -- no matter what. (Local regulations may come into play as well.)

WE are under no such obligation. My meter says the ADA diet is poison to me; it points me to low-carb. I eat accordingly.

Diabetes is a do-it-yourself disease. Nobody can manage it but us (with a lot of help from our friends!).

Believe your meter!

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Be sure you have your records with you, and the next time one of these jokers tells you you're wrong, show them your numbers & ask them how much lower their diet will take you. Remind them, if necessary, that lower is the goal here - both weight and BGL. Tell them you need proof that their way actually LOWERS blood sugar before you commit your very life to it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did take a complete log with me of all of my numbers and my weight. When I showed it to them, they told me that even though I was showing an improvement, with their tweaking I would be even better off. The words of the diabetes educator were "You need more carbs in your diet and you need to eat a balance of vegetables and fruit".

So as an experiment, I had a ham sandwich for lunch today. My sandwich was made of two slices of 15 grain bread, 1 slice of packaged deli ham, 1 tbsp. margarine, lettuce and a squirt of mustard. I accompanied this with half of a small orange.

My BG went from 7.4 to 19.6 in a matter of two hours!!!!! YIKES!!! Scared the crap outta me! I haven't had bread in two weeks and now I've messed everything up trying to follow their routine!

I give up!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Please, please don't give up! (Unless you mean, give up on those guys.) :evil:

Seriously, your med team may not be allowed to tell you any different, no matter what your numbers say.

As for lunch, the Suspect Non-Human Culprits are the bread, margarine (real butter's better) and yup, the orange.

Based on my own proud history of ... errrrmmm ... inadvertent experimentation, I know your levels will recover from this! :hug:

Believe your meter!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was not surprised after having the bread and the orange. I should have known better, but wanted to prove it to myself. I won't lie, I did enjoy my lunch! ha ha ha! But that won't happen again!

I think it's time to just smile and nod at my appointments, tell them what they want to hear and do my own thing. That is what I have learned from all of this.

I just had a piece of string cheese and am hoping that might bring my numbers down a bit. I think checking after EVERYTHING I eat will be the way to go until I can learn what I can and can't tolerate.

OMG, how do you keep track of everything you can and can't have? My memory is good, but I can't tell you what I had to eat last Tuesday for lunch or whether it bothered me or not. I guess a notebook in the kitchen is what I need to keep.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did they offer a free voucher for a full time cook and dietitian? To expect someone to be able to shop and prepare meals like that is just ridiculous.

Not to mention if they have a family and they work full time.

In my opinion the counselor, nurse practitioner and your doctor are setting unrealistic goals that will create more frustration and eventually cause you to give up.

Ask them to show you ANY study that says that a responsible low carb diet with a multi vitamin will have a negative affect on your diabetes.

I don't know it all about this curse but I do know that low carb means the difference between me being overweight and having high numbers and not. I feel healthier since I went low carb. I know its the right thing because my meter says so, just like the previous poster said.

Take it one step at a time. Just master eating to your meter and cutting back on carbs a bit and you will see the difference. By all means don't cut out all carbs though. Just break that muffin in half that you would normally eat. CONTROL your carb intake, don't cut it out all together.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone has ever followed a diet like that long term and kept themselves sane.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if anyone has ever followed a diet like that long term and kept themselves sane.
You know, there must be people who can eat the ADA way, but they're either not as insulin resistant as most of us seem to be, or they're on a lot more medication in order to do that, or they live with higher numbers than we're willing to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You know, there must be people who can eat the ADA way, but they're either not as insulin resistant as most of us seem to be, or they're on a lot more medication in order to do that, or they live with higher numbers than we're willing to.
Has to be one of those reasons. If I spent that much time eating like that and my numbers were still sky high I would go into depression real quick.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Only by following MORE doctors' orders for more & more meds . . . :mad:

And carbo is right about not cutting out ALL carbs. You can live a long & happy life on zero carbs, but high fiber is good to keep our digestion moving along smoothly & efficiently, so get your carbs from the very high-fiber foods like asparagus, celery, artichokes, cabbage/sauerkraut, eggplant, avocado, rhubarb, almonds, broccoli, coconut (unsweetened, obviously), dark leafy greens like spinach/chard/collards/etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What they told me is that I should be consuming 30 to 40g of carbs per meal. I think that is way too high and I should be only consuming not even half of that.

I was trying to stick to between 10 and 15g per meal and that seemed to be working with my BG numbers, although I am not noticing a significant weight loss. I have lost 3 lbs. in 3 weeks. I thought it would be much more than that at the beginning.

I'll keep plugging along but am really frustrated with this whole thing. Oh, and did I mention that even though my BG numbers have dropped significantly, they upped my Metformin from 2 x 500 mg per day to 3 x 500mg per day?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I never eat a salad without putting avocado on it. :)

Look SandraO, We as adults know whats good food and bad food. I'm not saying don't listen to your doctor but you don't need him to tell you that cutting carbs and eating more greens and natural foods is good for you.

When you ate that orange you should know right then, that there is no one diet for everyone across the board. We are all different and if eating that way is counterproductive to you maintaining healthy BG levels then you need to try something more suited to your body.

You know what is healthy. All you have to do is put that knowledge into play. Really for me that was the hardest part. Listening to myself.

By now Ive realized that there is no magical diet that is going to cure me, there is no diet that I can follow exclusively for ever and be ok. I realize that being resilient and keeping low numbers is the best I can do. The rest is up to the man upstairs (or woman) :).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are correct and that's why I have decided to do what I think is best for me. The orange was an experiment and I got the result. My mind told me that it was not what I should be doing, but on the other hand my medical team is telling me it's what I should be doing. Now I know. It just makes me wonder why I'm going to all of these appointments when I'm not getting correct information. Something definitely wrong with our medical system. I guess it's all about the mighty dollar. If they don't have people on meds and using their testing equipment, there would be a lot of people out of work! It's sad that they put our health at risk to keep their paycheques!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
You are correct and that's why I have decided to do what I think is best for me. The orange was an experiment and I got the result. My mind told me that it was not what I should be doing, but on the other hand my medical team is telling me it's what I should be doing. Now I know. It just makes me wonder why I'm going to all of these appointments when I'm not getting correct information. Something definitely wrong with our medical system. I guess it's all about the mighty dollar. If they don't have people on meds and using their testing equipment, there would be a lot of people out of work! It's sad that they put our health at risk to keep their paycheques!
You're sooooo cynical!

And sooooo right! :D

And we've all gotta experiment with the Dark Orange Side every now and then ...

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Test your blood glucose and in time you can decide for yourself. Eat to your meter is my refrain! Why not try their diet first and just see where it gets you? Oh, I see you have. Well, decide for yourself what the answer is and then follow the path you feel best for YOU?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think we have all been through the same experince. The medical community has views that don't work to keep our bgs low. They will tell us that an HbA1c of 7% is fine. They tell us there is not way we can have normal bgs and we will all end up using insulin at some point. They give us these high carb diets because they say we can't live without processed carbs. Many here and at other D forums have taken control of our own diabetes. We eat to our meters. The doctors and dieticians work for us, not the other way around. At first I felt bad going against my dieticians advice. But the results prove my point. I am only 4 years into this and I am down to my college weight- 118, in a size 4. My HbA1c is 5.3, almost normal. Yes, I eat low carb, but I don't deprive myself of anything. I just figure out a way to cook it low carb.

·
Registered
741 Posts
sorry Im laughing here...Ive had identical situations...my reply was

so I need to eat more carbs so I need MORE insulin? And if they don't get that...they'd be on the other side of sane!

it is a constant battle with 'professionals' to see the positive side of low carb...personally I lost 35 kilos on low carb...so I can't see how that's bad for my diabetes...like you they looked at my very detailed numbers and suggested lol 3 x optifast...I know who is the sanest!

good luck...and yes the meter tells the truth

1 - 18 of 18 Posts