The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Sweeteners ... yet another place where each of us responds differently. Moreover, our responses can change over time. Some have had to eliminate all sweeteners, while others find sweeteners they can tolerate quite well (though moderation is always wise).

Digestive issues can occur, even where spikes don't. Again, we're each different.

The only path to an answer is to test, test, test.

(Aspartame has many known health problems, so I just avoid it.)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't use much sugar alcohols. I use a tsp of xylitol if I have coffee (which I've only recently taken up occasionally again).

I must admit...I'm a bit crazy on the artificially sweetened drinks at the moment. But I'm starting to tire of the artificially sweet flavor and the thought of the long list of chemicals I'm consuming. I avoided them for a long time but when I started on the road to losing the excess weight, I took them up again as a sort of crutch I guess. Is it true they can sabotage weight loss efforts?
I must admit, in the past I found the weight would just fall off just by starting an exercise regime, but this time it has just been a real effort.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could use to sweeten coffee (just a little, to balance the bitterness) that most likely will not affect bsl?

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Have you ever considered not sweetening it? Seriously ... give it a try. I used to use regular sugar and milk in my coffee for years. I then suddenly decided to try coffee without any sweetener, and really enjoy the taste of it. I will sometimes add heavy cream to it, but most times just enjoy it black. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If I drink coffee, I use a lot of heavy cream - which definitely balances any bitterness - and nothing else. If something does need sweetening, I use liquid sucralose (Splenda).

Yes, some - even many - sugar alcohols can raise blood sugar. And other components of artificial sweeteners - like maltodextrin - assuredly raise blood sugar. The other issue with using sugar alcohols is that they often have a strong laxative effect.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally, I've not found much problems with xylitol. I once did a test where I actually ate a tbsp of xylitol lol. That wasn't too pleasant :p Told my dietician and she laughed and called me "her little guinea pig" (due to my constant questions and testing of different things lol).
It didn't seem to affect my bsl at all.

As you say Shalynne, results can change over time with different sweeteners...Sort of can't be bothered with the extra testing with that in mind since it's just kind of rubbish food anyway :rolleyes:
And as many have said, I could always try it unsweetened with cream...

I'm not a fan of sweets in general really (very few exceptions though lol). So perhaps I can try to wean myself off sweetening coffee. After all cream has it's own perfect natural level of sweet and doesn't need altering ;)

Might sound a little carried away here...but does anyone find buying a better quality coffee to be less bitter?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Coffee tends to be bitter if it's ground too fine. Perhaps a coarser grind would help.

And one caveat to using xylitol: If you have beloved canine pets in the household, make absolutely certain they never get near the xylitol. It is very toxic to dogs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts