Votes: 3 60.0%
  • other: ...

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You got diagnosed with diabetes. For some that will explain why they lost weight without dieting, why they were thirsty all the time, why they took all those nightly visits to the bathroom, why they were fatigued all the time..;

Has it changed your family? Do they feel differently now about you or about health issues in general?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thanks Cathy, this is a very good poll and topic! I was diabetic at age 6 but we all ate the same foods except for my avoiding sugar. I ate tons of carbs because it was not known back then that carbs were harmful to diabetics. Except for watching me closely in case I became hypo there was not much change in my family and our lifestyle.

When I was married and had children my wife prepared special dishes for me and everyone else ate whatever they wanted. Now my wife and I are alone with our sons in their 40s and living far away. My wife has never eaten healthy. She is a junk food addict but she eats small portions and is not much overweight. Her doctor had her get an A1c, it was 6.2. Her fasting BGs are running about 106 on the average. Now we are helping each other. She is eating vegetables and fruit for a change. I hope she will not be diabetic. From helping me for 44 years she knows how to eat like she should and she is testing every day.

Richard

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's cross our fingers Richard, that your relatives will never get diabetes. And if they would, they have the right man in the house to help them learn everything they need to know.

Diabetes has changed my family in a way, that we eat healthier and we reflect more about food and life. We don't take good health for granted any more. Unfortunately my husband won't give up smoking and that's a slap in the face. I have spoken with him so many times, explaining to him that I got D without asking for it. He has good health now, but the cigarettes will not benefit his health. And that is something he is putting his body through. It's sad to see that people stick their heads in the sand, pretending health issues will never be their problem. But then again, before I had D, I was probably thinking the same..

Our teen girls know all about carbs and insulin and hypos and hypers. I wish they wouldn't have to know about it, but that's just the way it is. They know how important our body is and that we have to treat it like a temple.

Thanks for sharing your story Richard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts