The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drank a diet coke between lunch and the 2 hour reading--will this have an effect on the reading?. Thx!!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I drank a diet coke between lunch and the 2 hour reading--will this have an effect on the reading?. Thx!!
It shouldn't, but there's always the exception to the rule. Was your 2-hour reading higher than you expected, considering whatever it was you ate for lunch?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shanny you are amazing in your speedy response! I have another hour to go before the 2 hour mark. Thx for your response about my other question. Would a "normal" person have a 155 reading after pasta, chicken and cake?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have been drinking diet soft drinks since they were first sold. They have never raised my BG.

I don't know the answer to your second question. I have never been a normal person. Lol! (I was diagnosed when I was 6.)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Would a "normal" person have a 155 reading after pasta, chicken and cake?
(the 155 was your 2-hour reading, right?) I think a non-diabetic person could spike like that pretty quickly after eating a high-carb meal like that, but they would also quickly drop back to lower levels. In other words, a non-diabetic person would not have had so high a reading so long after the meal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If diet coke(or pepsi in my case) affected BG levels would be huge. Luckily it doesnt so I can drink a fair amount of it when the mood takes me!

·
Registered
5 Posts
<---- Queen of Diet Mountain Dew.

These "diet drinks" should NOT make any changes to your blood sugar. HOWEVER... please keep in mind that the diet drinks that still contain caffeine can. Now, its usually subtle, but when you have some caffeine running through you, naturally you have more energy and therefore can be doing more and hardly notice it which is likely to cause a low or two. (And I have noticed also that with the caffeine diet drinks) that you eventually will "crash" and be out of energy... so if you do like I do and drink several, and then eventually when the caffeine is gone so is your energy that you gained which can make you sluggish (which leads me to lounge on the couch, NOT doing the normal activities I might have been doing otherwise.) --It seems complicated really, or maybe I just rambled. :) Sorry... Anyway, if possible, go for the diet-caffeine free soft drinks to avoid that caffeine high/low you might get... Thats the moral of the story!

·
Registered
663 Posts
OK, Diet drinks may keep the BG low but drink too much may bring it up but not that much. The major factor is that you will gain weight. ;) So it's the diet that you have when it's not exactly a diet, Is it?
I am a diet coke fiend as I see 2 liters go within a day and I quite rotund!!! :(:( About 300 Pounds!!! :confused::confused:
I wonder if there is a patch that I can have that may get off the coke? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I drink a lot of Crystal Lite and Walmart and Ocean Spray also carry a lot of poedered drinks. I really like them. They are not carbonated but carbonation is not important to me. I drink at most one small can of diet soda per day. I drink about a quart of the powdered drink and tea or coffee the rest of the day.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The drink that's worked up to first place on my list is green tea. I've always kept some in the cupboard, but a coupla years ago I tried the bottled stuff, sweetened & citrus-flavored. It's a great drink, but a little expensive for my budget, so I started brewing my own & adding sweetener along with a drop of lemon flavoring. Even my additions fell by the wayside as I would get in a hurry & just drink it plain. Now I don't even drink it HOT . . . it's good hot OR cold. Full of antioxidants - low in caffeine. (it isn't NON-caffeinated, but doesn't have much)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts