The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been told to monitor my BG before and after breakfast (2 hours after) by the doctor

My question is whether I can do intensive cardio for about an hour between my fasting and post meal test ?

Will the heavy exercise affect my numbers ?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Exercise affects us all differently. For me intense exercise actually raises my bgs. But for some it drops bgs. That is the one problem always testing at the same time of day. You may be missing some bg trends. I like to alter meal time bgs. Some breakfast, some lunch and some dinner and some in between. Many of my spikes are many hours after meals. Each of these bg tests tell me something different. When I exercise I usually wait at least 2 hours until bg starts to return to a downward trend.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I think I'll have to experiment and learn how my body reacts.

Thanks again !

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Thanks guys, I think I'll have to experiment and learn how my body reacts.

Thanks again !
That's the BEST thing you can do. It's likely the ONLY thing you can do, as we're all different. =)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Friends. I experimented today. my BG just before exercise was 107 but immediately after 50 minutes of intense cardio was 143....

I am a bit suprised with the spike...

Would you guys be suprised to see such numbers???

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nope, not at all surprised, if your body did not have enough calories to compensate for the exercise, ( if u r a type 2) then you got what we call liver dump.

Or on the other hand, u ate something really bad and your were not able to exercise it off.

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, not at all surprised, if your body did not have enough calories to compensate for the exercise, ( if u r a type 2) then you got what we call liver dump.

Hey thanks for replying. can you please explain what this liver dump is

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts

Or on the other hand, u ate something really bad and your were not able to exercise it off.

It's important to test your blood sugar every 30 min or so post-workout until you've figured out how your body reacts. Often times your blood sugar will rise subsequent to an intense workout, but come back down by itself soon thereafter. So if you treat your high blood sugar post workout, you may risk being low later. Just something to watch out for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im new to this diabetes (type 1) and ive been workin out 4 times a week for the past 3 years..i would think excersing should initially raise ur bg because it speeds up ur metabolism?? So shouldnt be alarming to see increased bg after excersise

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is how my body reacted.
Just before exercise = 110
After exercise (immediately) = 122
45 min after exercise = 98

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would look for Beefy's post about BG and exercises. He pretty much has it down as a science. Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys I have a question regarding time of exercise

Because of my work schedule (on week days) the only time for exercise I am have is after dinner.

I get back from work at 7:30. By then I'm tired and hungry and have dinner. Then I rest for about an hour or two. Then exercise from 10 PM to 11 PM

Is there going to be an effect if I follow this schedule (for the week days) ? Do you recommend something ?

Im hoping all excercise is good, no matter the time....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts