1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
That bottom picture is awesome! I've lived where the plowed-out tunnels would dwarf the vehicles, but nothing like that picture! Where's it from, Richard?!

We get the ice storms here in the Ozarks, and they're devastating. And because of the porous nature of the rock around here, there are often enormous icicles hanging right off the rock bluff walls (like where it's been blasted out to build roads).

·
Registered
100 Posts
eeek, it is cold here and we have had some snow, but nothing to match that. Nonetheless, I am over winter already. Not good, since it has barely started.

I need to move to Florida.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shanny, a friend told me that bottom pic was taken in Japan. I was surprised to hear that.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Shanny, a friend told me that bottom pic was taken in Japan. I was surprised to hear that.
That IS surprising! Then again, I guess northern Japan is right up there in the latitudes with Russia & North Korea . . .

I know the Akita dogs come from Japan & they're really cold weather dogs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Got ya beat, foxl. Our high was about 22, and that does not count the wind chill. About froze my fanny off going out for groceries.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Man it's 16 degrees here... Just came from a friends wedding. I think we got 3-4 inches of snow while I was inside... Had to drive the bride and groom home.. it was slippery... Sooo tired of the people on the road who think they are superman. You might be superman but go do it in another lane or better yet find a ditch.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
You might be superman but go do it in another lane or better yet find a ditch.

GREAT way to put it!!! We live in the land of the pickup truck ... and SUV ... and iti s obnoxious!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a wreck in 1972 caused by someone who did not have snow tires and there was snow on the roads. I ran off the road and totaled my car, they were stuck in the snow. By the time police arrived they dot unstuck and left the scane, even though they knew I left the road to keep from hitting them. I went down the hill. Totaled my car but I was OK.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I had a wreck in 1972 caused by someone who did not have snow tires and there was snow on the roads. I ran off the road and totaled my car, they were stuck in the snow. By the time police arrived they dot unstuck and left the scane, even though they knew I left the road to keep from hitting them. I went down the hill. Totaled my car but I was OK.
THAT is one of the most disheartening stories I've EVER heard. :eek:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
And if you ran down an embankment, you're lucky you WEREN'T injured. Even without snow tires, it's usually possible to drive safely in weather like this, if people would just use their heads. And the "superman" crowd is NOT using their collective heads! :mad: It's less of a problem here since our snow is usually wet, but the years we lived in Colorado, one single hot-dogger could throw up a cloud of powdery snow that would blind every other driver in the immediate vicinity . . . there oughta be a law! :mad:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, they had illegal tires so they would have received a ticket. i think that is why they left the scene so fast.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fight or flight mechanisms I guess. Fact is most people are cowards these days and don't want to stand up and be counted. They simply do what is easiest or gets them less hassle.

Were you ok no major injuries?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No injuries at all for me but my fainacial situation suffered. i had not anticipated having to but a new car then. The one that was totaled was about 4 years old. We really had a hard time making the payments on the new car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts