The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, so I'm tired of seeing the same numbers day after day...

For the past week or so, my fasting #'s are all high 7's. Post meal numbers are anywhere from 6.1 (after exercise) to mid-7's on average. 8's if I eat stupid things...

But I really want the fasting #'s to drop, and they're not. I'd be ecstatic if I could continually have them in the 5-6 range, but I can't get a fasting to ever be that low and the numbers are no longer getting better.

I figure either:

1. It's not working (the new diet, metformin, exercise) and I might need different meds;
2. I'm just impatient and if I keep it up things WILL get better;
3. I'm still pretty hefty and maybe being fat keeps BG high?

So questions: Does losing fat help the BG levels on it's own? Or is it the diet/exercise that lowers it? Or is it all three?

The only thing I haven't been able to do quickly is shed another 50 pounds. I'm quite on track with everything else, I think. I've quickly lost around 20 lbs (in about 3 weeks) but the loss is starting to really slow down. (Which is normal, i know.)

Ideally I think I'd look pretty good around 210-220 lbs. I used to weigh 225 when I played football, was ripped back then but obviously had more muscle mass then vs. now, so I'm thinking the 210-220 is a close to ideal weight for me. It's just going to take a while to get there healthily ... and if that's the last thing holding up my BG readings, I'll get quite impatient, lol.

Did I mention I'm not very patient and expect results of myself "NOW" for everything I undertake?

Argh.

Help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Losing weight and exercise both will work to lower insulin resistance, which will lower your blood sugar in a T2 diabetic. You look like you have been having a nice healthy rate of weight loss. If you are still having high blood sugar issues even with lowering your carb intake, losing weight and getting regular, moderate exercise, then it might be time to talk to your doc about if you might need some additional medication. If you are doing all "the right things" and still not getting control it might be time. It isnt a failure to need additional medication. Some people are just at different stages than others is all.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
OK, so I'm tired of seeing the same numbers day after day...

For the past week or so, my fasting #'s are all high 7's. Post meal numbers are anywhere from 6.1 (after exercise) to mid-7's on average. 8's if I eat stupid things...

But I really want the fasting #'s to drop, and they're not. I'd be ecstatic if I could continually have them in the 5-6 range, but I can't get a fasting to ever be that low and the numbers are no longer getting better.

I figure either:

1. It's not working (the new diet, metformin, exercise) and I might need different meds;
2. I'm just impatient and if I keep it up things WILL get better;
3. I'm still pretty hefty and maybe being fat keeps BG high?

So questions: Does losing fat help the BG levels on it's own? Or is it the diet/exercise that lowers it? Or is it all three?

The only thing I haven't been able to do quickly is shed another 50 pounds. I'm quite on track with everything else, I think. I've quickly lost around 20 lbs (in about 3 weeks) but the loss is starting to really slow down. (Which is normal, i know.)

Ideally I think I'd look pretty good around 210-220 lbs. I used to weigh 225 when I played football, was ripped back then but obviously had more muscle mass then vs. now, so I'm thinking the 210-220 is a close to ideal weight for me. It's just going to take a while to get there healthily ... and if that's the last thing holding up my BG readings, I'll get quite impatient, lol.

Did I mention I'm not very patient and expect results of myself "NOW" for everything I undertake?

Argh.

Help.

Thanks!
Losing weight should have a very positive affect on your diabetes. If you are trying to achieve lower fasting readings, you may require some additional medication. I would try to stay at what you are doing for one more month, mark your calendar, that might help with the inpatience. After one month, decide what you need or want to achieve and write it down and make an appointment to see your doctor. Good fasting results are difficult for many diabetics. I take a heavy dose of Lantus at 9PM every night and there have been a couple of mornings above 130 within the past few months which to me is not acceptable and is out of my target range. I can almost handle a reading of 100 but anything above that bothers me more than I can describe. We just can't control some things and our liver has a mind of its own and dumps on us just about when ever it wants to. I couldn't deal with Metformin when I was diagnosed so my doctor put me on Glipizide XL and that seemed to keep everything under control until 2005 and then my body started changing and I needed to go on insulin. It makes managing my diabetes so much easier, but you have to stay on your toes and you still have to test and maybe even test more. You have to be prepared to experience low blood sugar. All medications for diabetes have side effects, some more than others. Everything will come together for you, in time! :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
A: All three as exercise has the ability to use up carbs while insulin is doing it's job giving you energy. ;) I cannot emphasize enough how exercise is so good for you. :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think for me the eating right is what helped lower by BS and losing weight. The losing weight motivated me to lose more by exercise. After 6 weeks I was taking off all medications but still test. I have found now that I am within 20 pounds of my goal that exercise causes my BS to raise. So prior to working out or any exercise I will eat some fast carbs which has kept my BS in line. But I think you need to do all three. Even if your BS levels stay up in the long run you are doing yourself a favor.

I have gotten so used to working out on a daily basis and now I ripped my right knee out and can't move. I don't know if I was addicted to working out or not but it is bothering me that I can't work out and I am going nuts. :playball:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I think for me the eating right is what helped lower by BS and losing weight. The losing weight motivated me to lose more by exercise. After 6 weeks I was taking off all medications but still test. I have found now that I am within 20 pounds of my goal that exercise causes my BS to raise. So prior to working out or any exercise I will eat some fast carbs which has kept my BS in line. But I think you need to do all three. Even if your BS levels stay up in the long run you are doing yourself a favor.

I have gotten so used to working out on a daily basis and now I ripped my right knee out and can't move. I don't know if I was addicted to working out or not but it is bothering me that I can't work out and I am going nuts. :playball:
Ouch...take care of the knee! I hope you are better soon.

·
Registered
344 Posts
How the heck did you rip your knee, Murph? Is it the ACL? Cartilage damage? Are you gonna need arthroscopic?
Well I did it during my cool down of my jogging. I ran/jogged a 5k and while I was doing my 5 minute cool down walk it started hurting. I kept walking longer than normal hoping it would get better. After a few minutes of that I quit and have not worked out since. Yesterday I went to the doctor and at this point they won't do anything with it as they are thinking I just over did it and with time it will get better. If by Monday it don't get better I am to call and they will then do Xrays. Thursday I leave for vacation. I have plans of renting a bike while there but put the biking on hold for right now. Other than that I am supposed to just keep icing it down and taking Ibuprofen.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Other than that I am supposed to just keep icing it down and taking Ibuprofen.
Very good advice. The first thing our doc asks when we come in with aches/pains: "Have you tried ice?"! :D

Ibuprofen is a good anti-inflammatory agent - that's about all I ever use it for. If I need pain meds, I need vicodin! :)

Keep us posted. That's a colossal bummer and the worst possible timing!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
At diagnosis I was not much overweight- 148, my doctor told me he doubted losing weight would help. Over the next 4 years I did lose about 36 pounds and now most of my bgs are close to 100, but my HbA1c is not as low as I would like. But I also adhere to a strict low carb diet. So I am not sure if it is the LC diet or the weight loss. I am still on a lot of metformin and cannot imagine life without meds. I think it really depends on how functional your pancreas is and how much damage there is.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it really depends on how functional your pancreas is and how much damage there is.
This poses a good question...

Does anybody know if there's a way to tell if:

1. Your pancreas is not functioning well / not producing much insulin, or;
2. Your body is simply insulin resistant but the pancreas is doing OK...

I wish I knew exactly what my situation is...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Richard has commented on this in the past, however to save you the research, your doc can order a C-peptide test to measure how much insulin your pancreas is producing. According to the US NIH, "normal" range is 0.5 to 2.0 ng/mL (nanograms per milliliter) While I'm not a physician, in general, low values (or no insulin C-peptide) indicate that your pancreas is producing little or no insulin. As always, work with your healthcare provider for specifics. (Yes I realize I sound like a legal disclaimer)

Anyone feel free to jump in if I've mis-stated anything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Beefy - I can relate to your struggle with weight and b/s levels. On diagnosis (Feb 09) my fasting glucose was 375 and I weighed 287lbs. Over the course of the last 2 years, I've steadily increased meds and/or changed meds to get my #'s under control. I also started to lose weight, nothing at first, then 10-12lbs at a time followed by long (months) plateaus. I'm now down to 227lbs and keeping fasting b/s of 80-84 through mostly carbohydrate restriction and cutting out the crap. So, I guess the only thing I can offer is you're on the right track, hang in there, things will get better and all things in time. BTW my July "Goal" is 182 lbs.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Richard has commented on this in the past, however to save you the research, your doc can order a C-peptide test to measure how much insulin your pancreas is producing. According to the US NIH, "normal" range is 0.5 to 2.0 ng/mL (nanograms per milliliter) While I'm not a physician, in general, low values (or no insulin C-peptide) indicate that your pancreas is producing little or no insulin. As always, work with your healthcare provider for specifics. (Yes I realize I sound like a legal disclaimer)

Anyone feel free to jump in if I've mis-stated anything.
Cool, thank you. I'll ask for that for when I go do my Mid-March A1c.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Beefy - I can relate to your struggle with weight and b/s levels. On diagnosis (Feb 09) my fasting glucose was 375 and I weighed 287lbs. Over the course of the last 2 years, I've steadily increased meds and/or changed meds to get my #'s under control. I also started to lose weight, nothing at first, then 10-12lbs at a time followed by long (months) plateaus. I'm now down to 227lbs and keeping fasting b/s of 80-84 through mostly carbohydrate restriction and cutting out the crap. So, I guess the only thing I can offer is you're on the right track, hang in there, things will get better and all things in time. BTW my July "Goal" is 182 lbs.
It's always nice to know you're not alone, thanks!

You have an awesome goal. Mine is simply "lose weight", lol.

My problem is that I have no idea what an 'ideal' weight for me will be. I'm guessing around 210 or so, but I don't know until I start getting down there. I think I'd be a corpse at 182, I've got way too much muscle mass for that low a weight at my size.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
It's always nice to know you're not alone, thanks!

You have an awesome goal. Mine is simply "lose weight", lol.

My problem is that I have no idea what an 'ideal' weight for me will be. I'm guessing around 210 or so, but I don't know until I start getting down there. I think I'd be a corpse at 182, I've got way too much muscle mass for that low a weight at my size.
Hey beefy, you are a funny guy! Since you have alot of muscle, you can probably get away with weighing a little more. Ask your doctor about what he/she would consider a normal weight for you. You can probably search normal body weight and find charts that use your age and height to tell you what you should weigh.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi, losing weight definitely bring changes in your glucose levels, your need for insulin etc. It also motivates you tothink positively about your medical status. If you still show higher numbers, its ok if your doctor prescribes more meication. Everybody's body responds differently to a situation..generally, lowcarb, low fat diet with moderate exercise is gud for a diabetic..have patience.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello Anuradha.m, Lowering the weight will be a great benefit as Cholesterol levels will drop. The major thing is to go low carb and the serving size is another.
The other thing too is to listen to your body like "Are you hungry???" Drink plenty of water!!! NO SALT!!!! This is a water retainer. Monitor your BG even if you didn't eat. If you have a low episode then naturaly remidy with fast carbs and if this keeps up lower the insulin dose.
Lowering the insulin is a indercation that you are loosing the weight. The heavier you are, The more insulin that you must take.

To make the long story short
We eat too much!!!​

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hello Anuradha.m, Lowering the weight will be a great benefit as Cholesterol levels will drop. The major thing is to go low carb and the serving size is another.
The other thing too is to listen to your body like "Are you hungry???" Drink plenty of water!!! NO SALT!!!! This is a water retainer. Monitor your BG even if you didn't eat. If you have a low episode then naturaly remidy with fast carbs and if this keeps up lower the insulin dose.
Lowering the insulin is a indercation that you are loosing the weight. The heavier you are, The more insulin that you must take.

To make the long story short
We eat too much!!!​
Thats exactly what I wanted to say! we eat far toomuch than required and keep storing the glucose to become fat. Its always easy to gain than to lose. we have think a lot like portion control, water intake, activiities to spend those accumulatedl calories...to top it all in case we cannot exercise for some reason like illness, more medications to keep the sugars down...BTW, my insulin has been reduced from today from 24 u;nits to 20 units, my lantus is also reduced to 25 now...so I am happy for some time...:flypig:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts