The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I sometimes need to take a nap after supper, which is also after my 3rd Metformin (850 ea.) of the day. My first thought is-- well my blood sugar is too high, but upon checking it, it's not (at least not always). I have no adverse effects with Metformin and I like it because of some of its beneficial effects, such as appetite suppresant, cardiac protection, and others. But I do find a coincidence in taking it and getting sleepy. I wonder if anyone here taking Metformin has had a similar experience.:canada:

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Since I do have some fatigue issues, I can't lay any of it on metformin. However, it is known to deplete B-12 - perhaps taking a supplement would help.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
741 Posts
same I have no issues with metaformin...but I take the slow release one

G

·
well I don't recall that really... but I'm sleepy a lot so that may explain it. lol. Metformin just gave me bad GI side effects constantly. I did post a link somewhere else earlier on metformin side effects.... there's a few.
Here's the link: metformin (Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Fortamet, Riomet) - drug class, medical uses, medication side effects, and drug interactions by MedicineNet.com
Plus here's a link to an Australian study on it: eMJA: Metformin and serious adverse effects

In particular... dehydration can cause problems when on metformin.... so make sure you're drinking plenty of water. :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I do have some fatigue issues, I can't lay any of it on metformin. However, it is known to deplete B-12 - perhaps taking a supplement would help.

Thank you for your reply moon; i have actually seen that it depletes B vitamins - maybe 12 as you say. I don't take any vitamins at all, so perhaps i'll start with a one-a-day -- can't do any harm.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I also take 3 x 850 of metformin. I take my last dose right before bed, so I am not sure if it makes me extra sleepy or not. I do notice by 10 pm I am nodding off on the couch. I always tell my hubbie don't start a movie after 9 pm because I will fall asleep. I do take extra B 12 every day to adress the depletion issue. Sometimes just the process of eating certain foods can cause certain gut hormones which might make you sleepy. For example foods like Turkey have Trypophan ( sp) which makes you tired.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also take 3 x 850 of metformin. I take my last dose right before bed, so I am not sure if it makes me extra sleepy or not. I do notice by 10 pm I am nodding off on the couch. I always tell my hubbie don't start a movie after 9 pm because I will fall asleep. I do take extra B 12 every day to adress the depletion issue. Sometimes just the process of eating certain foods can cause certain gut hormones which might make you sleepy. For example foods like Turkey have Trypophan ( sp) which makes you tired.
OK jwags -- it may also be the timing of taking the Metformin-- forgetting to take with meal and taking much later for example. But to eliminate the "denial" factor i might have to watch the carbo level of the meal too. Sometimes I do feel tired for no diabetically related reason though; it's a fluctuating blood level it seems. Vitamins -- right! Why have i never believed in vitamins? :)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I used to believe the turkey-tryptophan-sleep thing too years ago when I was dealing with fibromyalgia and trying to use natural sleep remedies. Turned out I would have to eat a lot on an empty stomach ... or any number of other meats, fish and cheeses that have tryptophan in the same, or greater, amounts.

My fibro guru used to bemoan that tryptophan supplements were taken off the market because of (if I remember correctly) one bad batch from a Japanese manufacturer.

·
Registered
460 Posts
High BGs make me sleepy and I wonder if this is what you are experiencing after supper. It tends to work that way for me -- biggest meal of the day, relaxing in front of the TV... :sleep: If it was the Metformin wouldn't you expect a similar effect with the doses earlier in the day?

Not to say that you shouldn't also follow up with the B12 level etc... as advised above :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used to believe the turkey-tryptophan-sleep thing too years ago when I was dealing with fibromyalgia and trying to use natural sleep remedies. Turned out I would have to eat a lot on an empty stomach ... or any number of other meats, fish and cheeses that have tryptophan in the same, or greater, amounts.

My fibro guru used to bemoan that tryptophan supplements were taken off the market because of (if I remember correctly) one bad batch from a Japanese manufacturer.
Moon,

Here's my scientific theory to explain all medical enigmas: if it works then all you have to do is find out why. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
High BGs make me sleepy and I wonder if this is what you are experiencing after supper. It tends to work that way for me -- biggest meal of the day, relaxing in front of the TV... :sleep: If it was the Metformin wouldn't you expect a similar effect with the doses earlier in the day?

Not to say that you shouldn't also follow up with the B12 level etc... as advised above :)
My thoughts exactly Frank; with this exception M1 andM2 are not as cumulative as M3 -- that's a pharmacological question; also if the meal is low with M1 or 2 or 3 the effects-- one of them being sleepiness may be high; but it is also possible that supper being the largest meal makes you sleepy. Lots of experimentation ahead. Yeah, B12; ok; btw does B12 deficiency cause fatigue or slee:hippie:piness?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
How many carbs are you eating for dinner? I have found I can eat more carbs in the afternoon than in the evening. I guess it has to do with the activity level. We eat dinner late and I basically just sit and watch TV after dinner. Whereas in the afternoon I am moving around a lot or go for a long walk. Since going low carb, I have seemed to become even more sensitive to carbs like bread, potatoes and other starches. They do make me doze off.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How many carbs are you eating for dinner? I have found I can eat more carbs in the afternoon than in the evening. I guess it has to do with the activity level. We eat dinner late and I basically just sit and watch TV after dinner. Whereas in the afternoon I am moving around a lot or go for a long walk. Since going low carb, I have seemed to become even more sensitive to carbs like bread, potatoes and other starches. They do make me doze off.

I don't count carbs but after my diabetic team showed me the amounts and sizes, etc. i generalized to say a pork chop or a fillet of fish, or 6 chunks of beef, with 1 baked potato, or 1 and 1/2 cup of rice, and salad, or vegetables, and a bread bun with maybe 1 tsp of margarine. Basically that's my supper.

As for exercising, i hurt my heel on my gym walker and it is taking a while to recover -- better every week. So my exercising is mild walking. The naps are getting far and few between, and i am developing some expertise in lowering my bg's. Last average 6.2 in 3 months. Sometimes i do feel tired though and get an irresistable urge to nap for 30 min.

What do you eat for supper?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
1 baked potato, or 1 and 1/2 cup of rice, and salad, or vegetables, and a bread bun
What is your blood sugar after these carbs in your supper? I can tell you that I (and lots of other folks) would spike like crazy and take long naps also with those carbs. If your numbers show you can handle it, then I'm envious :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I don't count carbs but after my diabetic team showed me the amounts and sizes, etc. i generalized to say a pork chop or a fillet of fish, or 6 chunks of beef, with 1 baked potato, or 1 and 1/2 cup of rice, and salad, or vegetables, and a bread bun with maybe 1 tsp of margarine. Basically that's my supper. What do you eat for supper?
I agree with the pork chop, fish or beef, salad & vegetables, and that's ALL I have in my meal. The potato, rice AND bread would have my BG orbiting the moon. Have you ever tested your BG one hour after eating a meal like you described? Would you want to try it & let us know the reading you get?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dear Patdart, Shanny and moon---

Too many carbs -- i get the message. But I take so many anti-diabetic meds (3x850 Metformin as well as 80? Glyclazide) that i may be able to handle that supper. Count my bg after? I usually count it 2- 3 hrs after and it is the largest number of the day - as low as 5.6 to as high as 8. Another factor: I take my last anti-diabetic drugs around the meal -- that may bring it down.

I appreciate your feedback -- no margarine and no bread -- i can handle that.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Dear Patdart, Shanny and moon---

Too many carbs -- i get the message. But I take so many anti-diabetic meds (3x850 Metformin as well as 80? Glyclazide) that i may be able to handle that supper. Count my bg after? I usually count it 2- 3 hrs after and it is the largest number of the day - as low as 5.6 to as high as 8. Another factor: I take my last anti-diabetic drugs around the meal -- that may bring it down.

I appreciate your feedback -- no margarine and no bread -- i can handle that.
IMO, the only thing that could compensate for eating potato, rice and bread - any or all - would be injecting fast-acting insulin. Your metformin can't cover that much, and I doubt if glyclazide does either. The bread, potatoes & rice all need to go, and you need to test one hour after the meal to learn exactly how much damage is being done. If you're going over 140, then the high blood sugar is already causing damage to your blood vessels & other internal organs. Research Connecting Organ Damage with Blood Sugar Level

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts