The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lifetime of low blood pressure, I found recently that I am in the "prehypertension" range. Marvelous! Now I am prediabetic, prehypertensive, and probably pre lot of other things.

I've always craved salt and used a lot of it. I am now substituting potassium chloride. Does it make any difference with diabetes? I've never heard that it did, but just wondering........

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It shouldn't affect bgs levels. There are certain people that have to watch their potassium levels. You may want to run it by your doctor.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But it can affect weight. I should have realized that when I went berserk over having lost another pound. High sodium intake does promote fluid retention, something I have known for years. Reduce the sodium, decrease the excess fluid, lose a pound or two or three.

·
Registered
221 Posts
But it can affect weight. I should have realized that when I went berserk over having lost another pound. High sodium intake does promote fluid retention, something I have known for years. Reduce the sodium, decrease the excess fluid, lose a pound or two or three.
It does affect weight as high sodium results in water retention. I am hypertension patient, been on medications for years. You get reduced sodium salt in market(I doubt its efficacy sometimes thought!), pump some iron or walk for an hour or so. Eat lots of greens and tomatos, cucumbers instead of drinking liquids all the time.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts