The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey. What a great forum, I wonder whether any of you can tell me from your experiences whether what I am suffering from sounds like Diabetes? I feel a bit guilty going to my doctor because he is treating for 2 other things and a 3rd thing might look a bit like the boy that cried wolf.

I am female,32, about 3 stone overweight, carry my weight around my middle - if this info helps.

During any given week I have what I call 2x crashes. These happen are sudden and go from nothing to full symptoms within 3 minutes or so. These particularly happen if I haven't eaten for 3 hours or so. It starts with my limbs feel limp and moving them feels like a great effort, I feel light-headed and my reactions are slow (it's like the feeling you get when you are going under general anaesthetic, but a more extended feeling of drunkness) I start to feel really fatigued and want to sleep, if I am standing up I usually feel sick, but never actually am, I feel drunk or very hungover, my temperature goes hot but I feel cold. This is all within a matter of 5 minutes. The only thing that I found that brings me out of this is a can of fizzy drink and a bar of chocolate. Within 5 minutes I am back to normal. I don't take caffeine at all normally so I know it isn't caffeine cold turkey, I don't do drugs or drink alcohol.

I have chronic endometriosis and get ill every month, however, I take the pill 3 months in a row, on docs orders, I still get all symptoms except the bleed and the pain. The crashes happen twice a day during the time I would menstruate, as fatigue is one of the main symptoms of the endo, particularly at this time, my doctor just claims its chronic fatigue. But he doesn't see me when I have an episode and its not like I can bring one on and race to the docs for him to see me in that state.

Something is definitely happening but when I asked the doc about diabetes as I don't have the peeing frequently symptom, he says it isn't that.

I am not asking for a diagnosis but, can anyone explain what a diabetic attack feels like?

Much appreciated

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello Starling:

Welcome! :)Although your symptoms do sound similar to the symptoms of Diabetes it is hard to tell without the proper testing. Your Dr. sounds certain that you do not have Diabetes so perhaps he did an A1c test which put you in the normal range, without telling you. I'm surprised your Dr. didn't order an
Oral Glucose Tolerance Test(OGTT)which is simple and to see how quickly the glucose leaves your blood stream.

Hypoglycemia and low iron can cause your symptoms.

These symptoms would occur more than twice a month and normally at different times. Diabetics are all different thus they may have different symptoms for a low. If you had Diabetes chances are that you would be suffering from high ymptoms since you would be lacking Insulin or your Insulin would not be used effectively by your body.

Keeping in mind some Diabetics may have only one or 2 symptoms here are
some symptoms of lows:

-confused
-sleepy
-irritable
-hungry
-numb lips and/or tongue
-slurred speech
-fast heartbeat
-headache
-seeing double
-giggly or funny mode
-sweaty

Some symptoms of high blood sugar:

-very tired
-nausea
-very thirsty
-frequent urination
-overly warm feeling
-laboured breathing
-headache
-grumpy
-blurred vision

·
Registered
663 Posts
Get Well

Hello Starling :), Gee I feel for you and I bet that you're scared too.
I cannot say on what can be a diabetic symptom as I am a type 1 and I can tell at a glance that you are a diabetic but this seems to be otherwise like a type 2.
Anyway don't despair as you have a doctor that may help you in the right direction. Welcome to DF. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
It does sound like your are having hypoglycemic attacks. I would discuss this with your doctor.
Try eating 3 snacks a day (mid morning, mid afternoon and bedtime) along with a 3 well balanced meals. These snacks should include some protein (cheese, nuts etc.) and starches (crackers, fruit etc.). Usually one serving of protein and 1 servings of starches. Try to stay away from sugar snacks. See if this helps the way you feel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Does this sound familiar

Well I figured out I had diabetes when I started losing a lot of weight, went to the bathroom a lot, and was always dehydrated. I didn't have the same symptoms as you, but, as I've learned, it varies for everyone.

Definitely get tested by your doctor. It's the only way to know for sure.

Good luck! Wish you all the best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, you might want to check out this company Mark Patrick Media for weight loss with hypnosis. I went to one of their weight loss programs and used their cds. I have been a professional dieter my entire life and for the first time I am actually seeing results. I always new what to do to lose weight but now I find myself eating less and wanting to exercise. Hypnosis worked for me! Anyway they do programs all over the place along with downloads on their site. Here is there site.... Mark Patrick Hypnosis For Weight Loss and Stop Smoking

1 - 6 of 6 Posts