The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to be back posting here, but have been double checking some of my fasting numbers and came across this today.

At 12:50pm my fasting was 4.9

The last time I had eaten however was 10:30pm last night. I had some swiss role dessert with a small glass of milk. Before that (doubting this is in any way relevant) was Olive garden, so bread, salad, ravioli, and pasta.

Does a fasting of 4.9 FOURTEEN hours after eating seem okay? Shouldn't it be lower considering the last time I ate was 10:30pm and it's now 1pm?

I do know that food aside being at 4.9 is decent but I am worried because I haven't had food in so long?

Please help

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I can't imagine why you'd want it any lower; it's a perfectly fine fasting number. Keep in mind that a non-diabetic body like your own can regulate itself, irrespective of the number of hours between meals.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi OCDP,

Don't ever worry about readings of 4.9 irrespective of when you ate last! If all your readings were 4.9s then you'd be doing absolutely great. That's where you want all your readings to be!

Best wishes - John

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to be back posting here, but have been double checking some of my fasting numbers and came across this today.

At 12:50pm my fasting was 4.9

The last time I had eaten however was 10:30pm last night. I had some swiss role dessert with a small glass of milk. Before that (doubting this is in any way relevant) was Olive garden, so bread, salad, ravioli, and pasta.

Does a fasting of 4.9 FOURTEEN hours after eating seem okay? Shouldn't it be lower considering the last time I ate was 10:30pm and it's now 1pm?

I do know that food aside being at 4.9 is decent but I am worried because I haven't had food in so long?

Please help
*edit* tested a couple more times as I have a really cheap meter and wanted to get an average. SO being OCD I took it 4 more times. I got 4.7, 4.3, 5.0, 5.2 and 4.9.

My average would be 4.8 which = 86. This still sounds okay but I wish I'd be at 8 hours without food, or 10, 12 even not 14. For some reason being that long without food and only having these numbers worries me?? :confused:

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thank you for such quick replies.

I guess I shouldn't worry then, like I said it's because of the 14 hour gap that makes me panic.

And the only reason I tested again today is because last Friday I had a fasting of 5.4, which seemed wrong to me compared to previous fasting numbers. So I took it a couple more times (I know, bad practice here) and had a couple more at 5.4 (was basically testing one after the other like a fool) but then the rest went into the 4.9 range and a bit lower, and one reading of 5.1 or something after waiting a bit in between tests.

The 5.4 scared me, but I was also very very panicky that morning so I think that may have contributed. I need to go and donate my meter now because there should be no reason to continue to test. My fasting BG's have stayed within normal range for a while (minus that 5.4 number)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Readings of 4.9, 5.1 and 5.4 are all totally normal - in fact, non-diabetic readings.

What is it about such readings that is causing you so much concern?

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the 5.4 was most concerning. Isn't a reading of 5.5 considered pre-diabetic? This is what my research tells me, and being so close to 5.5 worries me. It makes me think that I am pre-diabetic and if I'm not then I will be soon.

I guess that's what causes me all the anxiety, and having an anxiety disorder causes me to obsess and worry so much over my numbers. It's just a fear of mine for some weird reason and I am not sure why.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just one more quick question while I am here, without starting a new topic.

I have tested my 2 hour post meal and haven't found anything out of the ordinary, except for when I had this thick pizza I was at 102, 2 hours after eating. I assume this is all normal?

I have read that most true non-diabetics should be under 100 two hours after eating?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've just been taking a look at your earlier posts and I think that you need to be talking to someone about your anxiety complex instead of worrying about diabetes.

I really don't see that anything will change as far as your blood glucose numbers are concerned - in the short term at least. You have done loads of tests and they are all absolutely normal.

If you are so concerned and frightened about things such as this then use that fear in a positive way to get your diet and lifestyle into better shape than maybe it is now.

Good luck - John

·
Registered
204 Posts
...................I have tested my 2 hour post meal and haven't found anything out of the ordinary, except for when I had this thick pizza I was at 102, 2 hours after eating. I assume this is all normal?

I have read that most true non-diabetics should be under 100 two hours after eating?................
A large pizza is just about one of the worst things that we can eat as far as blood glucose levels are concerned. I wouldn't consider that a reading of 5.6 (100) to be anything to worry about - even if it was two hours after eating.

Cool it man - relax!

John

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to come across so anxious. I am getting help for my anxiety but it just doesn't seem to help with the health aspect of it all. I can learn to rationalize and cope and learn relaxation techniques but it doesn't help. I feel like I need a doctor to talk to, someone who could really put the meidcal worries at rest, but then I'd talk his ear off for hours on end.

And for the record I didn't eat the whole pizza, I had two pieces.

Again, I only did those tests because of weird numbers after muffins or a cookie. Some were kind of high but not crazy so I started doing the tests after dinner, etc. I should have just left it ALL alone because I keep fueling my anxiety.

Anyways I am going to try and find somewhere to donate my meter. So long as I have it I will test, and testing makes me worry. The only thing I can do is leave this behind me and start eating better and exercising.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts