The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone confirm for me that eating too much protein will put your levels up?

As I noted before, Dr Bernstein measures out everything very carefully, although he also seems to advocate that if you need a bit more food, you can increase your protein. I had two pork chops yesterday, with a bit of salad – the salad didn’t spike me before. They were large pork chops. I also had some whipped cream with a few almonds. My sugars were 5.1 this morning. So for breakfast I had a cheese omelette and two slices of bacon. My sugars two hours later were 6.9! I’m wondering if I should have eaten less the night before, so my sugars should have been 4.something, so that even though the bacon would increase them a bit, it wouldn’t be so much.

So, it could be that pork just affects me more than other meats, or I ate too much, or something else set it off.

What I worry about is that I don’t think that I need very many calories (very sedentary job) during the day, but my body is used to large meals at night time. If I simply cut down on them, will my body think that I’m starving? How do you know when you are starving your body? I can’t rely on the “Feeling hungry” thing because I feel permanently hungry. In the past, if I ate, say, a full Christmas dinner, three courses, with wine and coffee and chocolates afterwards, I would be hungry in the evening. Everyone else would still be groaning from the meal, but I would be ready for some supper. Whilst some of this was probably due to the diabetes, I know that it’s also due to an emotional need to eat – there’s nothing that can fill that hole inside.

This means that "feeling hungry" is a pretty useless thing for me, I can only rely on my tester and whether I feel a bit shaky.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My bgs are always higher in the morning regardless of the meal the night before. The higher bgs are more from hormone production at that time of day. To answer your question about protein, yes protein can raise bgs if eaten in too large a quanity. I try to keep my protein around 20-25 grams for my size, that is about 3-4 ounces. If you are eating low carb, your body will turn to protein. It converts it to glucose but at a much slower rate than carbs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just a question like that about your 'feeling hungry' all the time... Do you drink diet soft drinks? (diet fizzy drinks?)

When I drink a diet Coke, I feel hungry, whatever the size of my meal was. Now I seldom have a diet drink. I don't feel hungry all the time either. I read somewhere diet soft drinks can actually make you feel hungry. Just a thought!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a question like that about your 'feeling hungry' all the time... Do you drink diet soft drinks? (diet fizzy drinks?)

When I drink a diet Coke, I feel hungry, whatever the size of my meal was. Now I seldom have a diet drink. I don't feel hungry all the time either. I read somewhere diet soft drinks can actually make you feel hungry. Just a thought!
I used to drink quite a few, but I now try to stick to lots of water, although I do 'cheat' a bit, and sneak some pure orange juice into it. I find that the real stuff doesn't affect me if I use it in a 90-10 ratio.

I think I have discovered two things over the weekend. 1) I am still eating too much protein and 2) for some reason, pork does affect me. Two slices of bacon send me up, so maybe it's just something in english pork - maybe they feed them some sort of sugar.

I have decided to be much more strict on my amounts, which has resulted in an immediate fall.

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts