The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A pre-D says something like, "NO testing! It's too much trouble ... "

What can you do to help? I feel like, well, I TRIED. SIGH.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Well, in my defense... no one told me as a pre-diabetic that I should be testing...lol. If I only knew then....

Reactions: foxl

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
As a true liberal, if they have enough facts to make their own decision well so be it. I don't like to see people intentionally or unintentionally hurting themselves, but for the most part we are powerless to change a persons habits. It has to come from with in that person.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, this was someone I had suggested it to ... she keeps asking me if foods "are okay," but won't test them for herself. Today it was PB.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think it takes a while. It's kind of denial at first because you're not diabetic YET.

For me, I needed a reason to care, and apparently my own health wasn't enough. It wasn't until I was pregnant that I realized how important it was to take care of myself. I mean if my blood sugar can do these things to my unborn child, then what is it doing to my body... so that's where the motivation came from.

Each person has to have their own Aha! moment. Unfortunately, people seldom listen to others because it's not what they want to hear. Like my friend who tries to keep his blood sugar around 180. He wouldn't listen for a second to me about how important it is to keep it lower...he's had diabetes longer than me and his doctor says 180 is ok.

If her doctor didn't tell her to test, then she probably doesn't think it's necessary.

Maybe one day she will have her Aha! moment.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Linda, my husband is a type 2 the last 15 years and doesn't test. He is a smart, very well educated person but has convinced himself he does not need to test. I just finally gave up trying. The ironic part of this is that his HbA1c is always in the mid 5's when they take it once a year.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It really is psychology, not intelligence or education, isn't it? Soooo exasperating though.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Linda, my husband is a type 2 the last 15 years and doesn't test. He is a smart, very well educated person but has convinced himself he does not need to test. I just finally gave up trying. The ironic part of this is that his HbA1c is always in the mid 5's when they take it once a year.
With that A1C, pretty good chance he's RIGHT. Plus, he's probably eating with you, so indeed no need to test I would think. Mine is also mid to low 5's. If it stays there for a while, what reason would I have to test a lot? The only case would be if I was having highs and lows giving a deceptive A1C, but I've never, ever had a low and don't expect to. So, I'm fine and testing is a waste of time and resources same as your husband.

I will stop soon, I hope and only do it very occasionally (still too "curious" and still have insurance which is paying). If you learn how to eat without constantly being "on the edge" (i.e., a LITTLE more carbs or protein and you're too high), there really is no need to test constantly. You can just eat and live. That's my goal.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I cook pretty low carb, but he will eat 3 or 4 servings. If he is still hungry he will go grab a few slices of bread or any other carb he can get his hands on. If my daughter is baking cookies or cupcakes he helps himself. He has no sense that carbs raise his bgs and really doesn't care. He jokes that he really doesn't have Diabetes because he has no complications. All I can think is he was dx'd pretty early in his diabetes and has been on Actos for 15 years. I am not sure what he will do when they take it off the market. I think for him the testing thing has more to do with he has always been afraid of shots. He thinks the bg test is like a shot, crazy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts