The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

These are not mini donuts. This recipe requires a donut baking pan.

Donuts (makes 10)

2 tablespoons pancake syrup
2 teaspoons vegetable glycerine
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs
3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons pork rind flour
8 pkts. Splenda (or sweetener of your choice)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil 10 wells of a donut pan.

In a small bowl, using a fork, beat together the syrup, glycerine, vanilla and eggs. In another small bowl stir together the dry ingredients, then stir in the butter. Stir the flour into the egg mixture until smooth.

Spoon mixture into the wells. Bake 8 minutes. Remove from pan immediately. Let cool before frosting. Store in refrigerator.

Frosting:
4 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
4 tablespoons butter, room temp.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 pkts. sweetener (or to taste)
3 tablespoons heavy cream

With a mixer, beat all but the cream. Add the cream and beat until well blended.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'll have to try this. I have some of those donut pans that I make my LC bagels in. Thanks for sharing. My only question is what is vegetable glycerine? Is that vegetable oil?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My only question is what is vegetable glycerine? Is that vegetable oil?
I'm just a humble high school grad, you tell me......

While glycerine tastes sweet (and kind of burns or stings), it is actually a fat-soluble alcohol that, when esterified (or OMG is it etherized? My 1970s organic chemistry fails me!), with 3 fatty acid molecules, forms triglycerides.

It should not spike you at all!
:D
Since glycerine is made from animal fat, I assume vegetable glycerine is made from vegetable fat. You can use either, just make sure what you get is edible. I believe Wilton carries glycerine because people use it in cake decorating. I get mine from Netrition. Years ago when I was doing cake decorating, I use to be able to get it at my local drug store.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Would Coconut Oil work?

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
In this case, the purpose of the glycerine is to make the donuts moist. I really don't believe any type of oil would work.
I have used powdered gelatin to moisten egg-free baked goods. If you have some, it might work. Maybe a tablespoon or less (guessing here).

The glycerin sounds like a good option for my way of baking (without eggs or dairy) - sometimes they do turn out rather dry.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have some of those donut pans that I make my LC bagels in.
What! Low carb bagels that are baked in donut pans?! I haven't run across that recipe here at the forum. Are you willing to share? :confused: Pretty please. :hungry:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Glycerin has always been used as a low/No calorie sweetener as wll as an emolient. Remember Glycerin and Rosewater hand lotion.

Now, Pork Rind Flour. What the heck is that???? Sounds like something you'd buy at Bubba's Truck Stop in Alabama. :D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now, Pork Rind Flour. What the heck is that???? Sounds like something you'd buy at Bubba's Truck Stop in Alabama. :D
Even Bubba's Truck Stop doesn't carry it, you have to make it yourself. I grind pork rinds in a food processor or blender, then measure for the recipe, then grind it in a coffee grinder. If you don't have a coffee grinder, you grind it as fine as you can in a processor or blender.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts