Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Doublecheck the ADA - might isn't always right ☺

8K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  cathyy 
#1 ·
You guys who've been here the longest already know this stuff, but I figured I would post it for the newbies to the disease and to the forum. It's an article about the ADA and their acceptance of funds from junk food companies, and my favorite part is the top "science" guy at the ADA saying that sugar has "nothing to do" with diabetes.

I have my second diabetes class on Saturday - the "nutrition" class - and I plan to print this article and pass it out to the class in front of the instructor. I'll probably have to stay after class and clap erasers as punishment! :p

American Diabetes Association peddling nutritional nonsense while accepting money from manufacturer of candy and sodas

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I think many of us have discovered that the ADA has hidden motives . First they recomend an HbA1c of 7.0 which is an average bg of 150. They also believe 180 after meals is find. When I was handed my little ADA food booklet by my dietician and saw all this processed food that was supposedly safe to eat, I was shocked. I only went once to my diabetes education, that was enough. Everything I learned I learned on my own with my meter or from online sites. It is a shame though that new diabetics are told these foods are ok. Some people don't even realise that spenda does have carbs and can spike you.

I wish that I had the option of skipping the nutrition class, but if I don't go to all three, my insurance company will make me pay for the course myself. I don't know how I'm going to get through Saturday without exploding.

As for the Splenda, according to Dr. Bernstein, the packets are the ones with the extra carbs, but if you buy it in bulk (not in packet form) it is okay.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
If you buy the bag of Splenda in bulk, it is bulked up with maltodextrin which is a form of sugar. This is a trick most sweetners use. When baking I count splenda 24 grams per cup. Recently I have been experimenting using a little splenda and some stevia. The only safe one is the liquid splenda. Now, these are the things they sould be teaching in your class. They should also teach you that bread spikes people more than sugar usually.
I dont use any sweetener at all, I'm afraid it might lead me back into some of my old ways. Even today I found myself fondling a box of chocolate granola bars in the market. As for the class, the first one I had this past Saturday was just with the educator who was of course pushing the ADA's assertion that white stuff is okay for diabetics. When I said no, it wasn't, she literally rolled her eyes at me. I'll mae sure to bring earplugs and a comic book to hide in my diabetes manual on Saturday since it'll basically be a waste of 3 hours of my life. :p

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I have to agree with Shanny. Let us not forget that the ADA simply gives basic guidelines for healthy eating. That doesn't mean that you will not have to make adjustments to your personal diet to get the numbers you want. And just to make it clear thr ADA says a serving of carbs is 15 grams so 5 or 6 servinggs is not all that much. I know I eat 6 or 7 servings of carbs a day. Although they recomend fruits and vegitables on seperate lines on the pyramid you still have to count the carbs in them in your carbs load. The other thing is not all meat products are carb free. Also remember that proteins eventually are turned into glucose by your body. So my recomendation is to find what works for you and to make note of it but not to expect what works for you to work other or for others to agree with you.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with both of you. The article is not defamatory if it's the truth. The ADA recommends super-high blood sugars and AIC's of 7. That's enough to kill people. They need to be called out on their actions. Too many people have the old-school mentality that if it's an "organization" then of course they're experts and shouldn't be questioned. These are the people who need to know the truth about what is being preached to them.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Please do refere it to the admintrator. If it keeps going I will be the one getting kicked off.
Okay, I don't know what's going on here, but it's getting a bit silly. All I'm trying to do is help inform new diabetics because I hate to see people being taken advantage of by a corporation. I'm not trying to start a war. It's only a diabetes forum, not the War Room.

I will step aside and not come back. Bye, all. Thanks for all the info.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Don't know if your class was rare ... but you totally lucked out!

I was given the same ADA Guidelines in the hospital ... along with a high-carb diet that, as an in-patient, I could not change. I was not encouraged to look elsewhere for answers.

I'm in an HMO (managed care). It includes hospital and all Drs. They definitely have a playbook ... and I understand the need for one. But, infinite hassle though it is, all playbooks need updates on occasion.

I've since learned that at least some hospitals in other states provide the same good info you got, and offer meal variations as well. Haven't done a real study, so I don't know if ADA-only is an HMO thing, or a statewide regulatory thing.

I've come to know a number of diabetics who simply accept the ADA rules without question. For some, those rules seem to work. Good! But a couple of them -- veteran diabetics -- are happy when they can keep under 200, and advised me to do the same, and not try to go lower.

Not everybody is inclined to explore further. Many, due to innate ability or life circumstances, aren't able to. Some folks simply Do As They're Told.

A class that provides proper tools and encouragement is far better than one that does not.
I met the same type of people in my first Diabetes class last Saturday. They all accept the ADA and feel grateful to be under 200. I showed them my journal with my days under 110 and they were all shocked. 'I don't get it, how'd you do that?' 'By not listening to the ADA, I told them'. And the instructor, who did not appreciate my big mouth. :heh:

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Rosie if you read Richard Bernstein's book, The Diabetes Solution, he gives a LOT of backstory on how diabetes historically has been detected, and treated. It really gave me some insight into why the groupthink persists. It really helped me explain WHY I should eat to my meter instead follwoing any prescribed diet, whatsoever.
My favorite book!! :D

Discussion starter · #21 ·
I guess I'm one of those people. I haven't noticed any spikes, but I don't check my sugar after every time I use it. I guess it would make sense, though. "Tastes like sugar because it's made from sugar." I was just thinking about that today. I thought about trying Truvia. What is stevia? How does it taste?

I'm still trying to figure all this out. :confused:
I don't use sweetener at all, but Dr. Bernstein recommends stevia to diabetics. He also says that splenda in the packets has carbs, but when bought not in packets, it's okay.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I'm currently in NC for several months and was dx'ed here. Met with 2 Diabetes Educators in 2 cities. The first said test once/day (she was a T1 and adamant as T2 that's all I should do) and gave me a sheet with how many servings of carbs I should have (3 per meal = 45 each, 1-2 per snack). By the time I met with the 2nd DE I was questioning this. She was impressed with my numbers (then in the low 100's from >600) but said I should be eating 185 carbs/day, that our bodies need carbs for energy, and 'just don't do Adkins.' Told her I would be in the 200's if I ate that many carbs, and she said, "we have to follow the ADA guidelines." Talked about testing, and she did say I should ask my endo for a script for 4/day if I wanted to test more than once, and asked me to let her know how I was doing. After our hour meeting, she did say she didn't think the diabetes class series (total of 12 hours) would benefit me, and I was sure grateful not to have to sit through that.

The DEs were both associated with hospitals. The DE in my endo's office has more independence and so is more flexible/open in her thinking.

It's appalling what they preach. I'm not as lucky as you, I have to sit through 7 more hours of these nonsense classes, otherwise my insurance company will bill me for it. :mad:

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Connie, it is not the sugar that spikes, it is the maltodextrin they add as a bulking agent.

I do very well on Truvia, but it is only sold ion packets. I buy another product for bulk use, Z-Sweet, that comes in 1/2 lb packages and seemingly does not contain maltodextrin ... (has anyone checked the package? It does not spike me).

I try to stay away from anything containing the fragments "tol" "ose" and "dex" in the ingredients.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Rosie, have you TRIED erythritol or xylitol, to see if they spike you? They seem to be the only two that do not spike me!
I've heard of them, but I'm not in a financial position right now to experiment with anything additional to my diet and everything I check out has been way too expensive. Maybe someday when I get truly sick and bored of my diet.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Yup. Regional and institutional differences abound, just within the U.S. alone.

Here's where I lucked out, perhaps because I was hospitalized and put on insulin right away. They wouldn't let me out until I'd learned to use my meter and shoot insulin, and they sent me home with all my new gear.

I was told to test 4x a day: Wakeup, before meals and bedtime. But they're actually happy I test more often.

I've been able to get my insulin dosing adjusted by email so I could eat, and advised me to tweak according to my best judgment! So my HMO does some stuff extremely well.

On keeping under 140, however ... not so much. Of course, my True Evil Plan is to get below 110 and stay there.

That said, on my last phone consult I explained that I'd felt awful for a long time, and all that stuff comes back as soon as I get anywhere near 150 (Truth). Since they know I test, and have not had any lows, they've stopped arguing.

I chipped my sweet tooth somewhere along the way. It's just a stump now. But I'm devoted to my sinful mocha latte.

Since I don't sweeten anything else, I could afford little $5.00 jars of stevia and lo-han (luo-han). Neither of them spike me, though of course Your Meter May Vary.

Stevia is the sweeter of the two. Sometimes it tastes bitter to me. Less is better. Before The D, I tried to plant it (ran across 'em in the herb section of the local nursery), but it's one finicky little weed. Fresh or dried leaves can be used in stovetop cooking.

Lo-han has no aftertaste at all (to me). More is better; it's about half as sweet as sugar. It's also a tad more expensive and not so easy to find. I found it in a health-food store under the SlimSweet brand, and the $5.00 jar was the only size they had.

At the moment, I'm sticking to extracts. I have my Atkins Mocha Latte shakes with a tsp of peppermint and it's amazing - really takes the edge off. I just wish I could throw a banana in there and put it in a blender, but alas, wishful thinking. Maybe I could find a banana extract...

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Right now, I'm on the prowl for maple extract (NOT maple flavoring!!!). Might have to get it online.

But if I find banana, I'll let you know. They should be sitting on the same shelf!
One thing I wish I could find cheap would be whey protein so I could make some pancakes, but it's so expensive and comes in a humongous container. My eggs and bacon are boring me to tears....:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.