The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I guess I'm one of those people. I haven't noticed any spikes, but I don't check my sugar after every time I use it. I guess it would make sense, though. "Tastes like sugar because it's made from sugar." I was just thinking about that today. I thought about trying Truvia. What is stevia? How does it taste?

I'm still trying to figure all this out. :confused:
I don't use sweetener at all, but Dr. Bernstein recommends stevia to diabetics. He also says that splenda in the packets has carbs, but when bought not in packets, it's okay.

· Premium Member
6,163 Posts
I've since learned that at least some hospitals in other states provide the same good info you got, and offer meal variations as well. Haven't done a real study, so I don't know if ADA-only is an HMO thing, or a statewide regulatory thing.
I'm currently in NC for several months and was dx'ed here. Met with 2 Diabetes Educators in 2 cities. The first said test once/day (she was a T1 and adamant as T2 that's all I should do) and gave me a sheet with how many servings of carbs I should have (3 per meal = 45 each, 1-2 per snack). By the time I met with the 2nd DE I was questioning this. She was impressed with my numbers (then in the low 100's from >600) but said I should be eating 185 carbs/day, that our bodies need carbs for energy, and 'just don't do Adkins.' Told her I would be in the 200's if I ate that many carbs, and she said, "we have to follow the ADA guidelines." Talked about testing, and she did say I should ask my endo for a script for 4/day if I wanted to test more than once, and asked me to let her know how I was doing. After our hour meeting, she did say she didn't think the diabetes class series (total of 12 hours) would benefit me, and I was sure grateful not to have to sit through that.

The DEs were both associated with hospitals. The DE in my endo's office has more independence and so is more flexible/open in her thinking.

· Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm currently in NC for several months and was dx'ed here. Met with 2 Diabetes Educators in 2 cities. The first said test once/day (she was a T1 and adamant as T2 that's all I should do) and gave me a sheet with how many servings of carbs I should have (3 per meal = 45 each, 1-2 per snack). By the time I met with the 2nd DE I was questioning this. She was impressed with my numbers (then in the low 100's from >600) but said I should be eating 185 carbs/day, that our bodies need carbs for energy, and 'just don't do Adkins.' Told her I would be in the 200's if I ate that many carbs, and she said, "we have to follow the ADA guidelines." Talked about testing, and she did say I should ask my endo for a script for 4/day if I wanted to test more than once, and asked me to let her know how I was doing. After our hour meeting, she did say she didn't think the diabetes class series (total of 12 hours) would benefit me, and I was sure grateful not to have to sit through that.

The DEs were both associated with hospitals. The DE in my endo's office has more independence and so is more flexible/open in her thinking.

It's appalling what they preach. I'm not as lucky as you, I have to sit through 7 more hours of these nonsense classes, otherwise my insurance company will bill me for it. :mad:

· Registered
5,912 Posts
Connie, it is not the sugar that spikes, it is the maltodextrin they add as a bulking agent.

I do very well on Truvia, but it is only sold ion packets. I buy another product for bulk use, Z-Sweet, that comes in 1/2 lb packages and seemingly does not contain maltodextrin ... (has anyone checked the package? It does not spike me).

· Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Connie, it is not the sugar that spikes, it is the maltodextrin they add as a bulking agent.

I do very well on Truvia, but it is only sold ion packets. I buy another product for bulk use, Z-Sweet, that comes in 1/2 lb packages and seemingly does not contain maltodextrin ... (has anyone checked the package? It does not spike me).

I try to stay away from anything containing the fragments "tol" "ose" and "dex" in the ingredients.

· Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Rosie, have you TRIED erythritol or xylitol, to see if they spike you? They seem to be the only two that do not spike me!
I've heard of them, but I'm not in a financial position right now to experiment with anything additional to my diet and everything I check out has been way too expensive. Maybe someday when I get truly sick and bored of my diet.

· Registered
5,404 Posts
I'm currently in NC for several months and was dx'ed here. Met with 2 Diabetes Educators in 2 cities. The first said test once/day (she was a T1 and adamant as T2 that's all I should do) and gave me a sheet with how many servings of carbs I should have (3 per meal = 45 each, 1-2 per snack).
Yup. Regional and institutional differences abound, just within the U.S. alone.

Here's where I lucked out, perhaps because I was hospitalized and put on insulin right away. They wouldn't let me out until I'd learned to use my meter and shoot insulin, and they sent me home with all my new gear.

I was told to test 4x a day: Wakeup, before meals and bedtime. But they're actually happy I test more often.

I've been able to get my insulin dosing adjusted by email so I could eat, and advised me to tweak according to my best judgment! So my HMO does some stuff extremely well.

On keeping under 140, however ... not so much. Of course, my True Evil Plan is to get below 110 and stay there.

That said, on my last phone consult I explained that I'd felt awful for a long time, and all that stuff comes back as soon as I get anywhere near 150 (Truth). Since they know I test, and have not had any lows, they've stopped arguing.

I've heard of them, but I'm not in a financial position right now to experiment with anything additional to my diet and everything I check out has been way too expensive. Maybe someday when I get truly sick and bored of my diet.
I chipped my sweet tooth somewhere along the way. It's just a stump now. But I'm devoted to my sinful mocha latte.

Since I don't sweeten anything else, I could afford little $5.00 jars of stevia and lo-han (luo-han). Neither of them spike me, though of course Your Meter May Vary.

Stevia is the sweeter of the two. Sometimes it tastes bitter to me. Less is better. Before The D, I tried to plant it (ran across 'em in the herb section of the local nursery), but it's one finicky little weed. Fresh or dried leaves can be used in stovetop cooking.

Lo-han has no aftertaste at all (to me). More is better; it's about half as sweet as sugar. It's also a tad more expensive and not so easy to find. I found it in a health-food store under the SlimSweet brand, and the $5.00 jar was the only size they had.

· Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yup. Regional and institutional differences abound, just within the U.S. alone.

Here's where I lucked out, perhaps because I was hospitalized and put on insulin right away. They wouldn't let me out until I'd learned to use my meter and shoot insulin, and they sent me home with all my new gear.

I was told to test 4x a day: Wakeup, before meals and bedtime. But they're actually happy I test more often.

I've been able to get my insulin dosing adjusted by email so I could eat, and advised me to tweak according to my best judgment! So my HMO does some stuff extremely well.

On keeping under 140, however ... not so much. Of course, my True Evil Plan is to get below 110 and stay there.

That said, on my last phone consult I explained that I'd felt awful for a long time, and all that stuff comes back as soon as I get anywhere near 150 (Truth). Since they know I test, and have not had any lows, they've stopped arguing.

I chipped my sweet tooth somewhere along the way. It's just a stump now. But I'm devoted to my sinful mocha latte.

Since I don't sweeten anything else, I could afford little $5.00 jars of stevia and lo-han (luo-han). Neither of them spike me, though of course Your Meter May Vary.

Stevia is the sweeter of the two. Sometimes it tastes bitter to me. Less is better. Before The D, I tried to plant it (ran across 'em in the herb section of the local nursery), but it's one finicky little weed. Fresh or dried leaves can be used in stovetop cooking.

Lo-han has no aftertaste at all (to me). More is better; it's about half as sweet as sugar. It's also a tad more expensive and not so easy to find. I found it in a health-food store under the SlimSweet brand, and the $5.00 jar was the only size they had.

At the moment, I'm sticking to extracts. I have my Atkins Mocha Latte shakes with a tsp of peppermint and it's amazing - really takes the edge off. I just wish I could throw a banana in there and put it in a blender, but alas, wishful thinking. Maybe I could find a banana extract...

· Registered
5,404 Posts
Right now, I'm on the prowl for maple extract (NOT maple flavoring!!!). Might have to get it online.

But if I find banana, I'll let you know. They should be sitting on the same shelf!

· Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Right now, I'm on the prowl for maple extract (NOT maple flavoring!!!). Might have to get it online.

But if I find banana, I'll let you know. They should be sitting on the same shelf!
One thing I wish I could find cheap would be whey protein so I could make some pancakes, but it's so expensive and comes in a humongous container. My eggs and bacon are boring me to tears....:(

· Registered
5,404 Posts

· Registered
5,404 Posts
I guess I'm just a Philly girl raised on cheesesteaks and cannolis, because I have no clue what a crepe is! :D
A crepe is a very thin pancake that can be used as a wrap. But these can be made thicker and more like a pancake. (I know this 'cause I didn't use enough cream the first time!)

Cheesesteak I know. We've got some versions of it, anyway. But I had cannolis confused with meaty cannelonis for the longest!

· Registered
299 Posts
Any flavor you want can likely be found here: https://www.lorannoils.com/c-2-lorann-gourmet.aspx

The ice cream/beverage flavors are sugar free, calorie free. Most of the extracts and oils are also sugar free - maybe all of them are but I'm not sure.

· Premium Member
6,163 Posts
Wink - those look really interesting, but I can't find any ingredient lists. Any clue if they have artificial sweeteners? My taste buds can't tolerate 'em - but I'd like to order if not.

Edit: Okay, I get it. No artificial sweeteners, just intense flavor oils. Wow. I'm having trouble with this obsessive 'add to cart' tick my finger has!

· Registered
299 Posts
The super strength flavors is what I've mostly used.. I've tried several and the only one I didn't like was bavarian cream. Hope you enjoy them!

· Registered
4,368 Posts
I do buy the huge bag of Whey Protein at Costco, but you can buy it in smaller containers at Walmart and Target. My pancake recipe only calls for about 1/4 cup so it does last awhile. I also use the whey powder in smoothies, muffins and even cookies to add protein. You can mix the chocolate whey with heavy cream and whip it in a Magic bullet for a fantastic mousse type dessert. I use to live in New Jersey and we had lots of Cheesesteak and Pork Roll sandwiches. We were in Pittsburg last week visiting my son and his wife. They put french fries into their salads, I'm not sure if this is just a Pittsburg thing or all over PA.

· Registered
5,404 Posts
That's a new wrinkle . . . sure haven't heard of it out here in the midwest. :p
Me either. We went to a Peruvian place once where they put french fries in a lot of stuff, though.

What's a pork roll? Sounds yummy!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.