The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I've been gone for a while. Been going through some stuff had a med change a few weeks ago and lost control off my sugar. Went from having a A1c of 7 to 7.8 not happy at all then to make matters worse the doc springs on me that I have Diabetic kidney disease. I dont know how to feel right now I'm only 33 years old and I feel like I'm falling apart. :confused:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Heidi, this is sad news to hear today. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for healing. Why did med's change? And what did they do to discover kidney disease? How high were your bg's before?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Naynay,
They changed my med because I was planning on getting pregnant. Im actualy waiting to see if i am or not should now next week. I was on glyburide and lantus. They took me off the glyburide and added humalog before meals. My bp before the change were below around 80 fasting and 120 2hrs after my meals. since the change they have been everywhere between 200-450. I saw my end for the first time tuesday and she broke the news to me that she found in my chart that my last urine culture was abnormal I had a load of protiein and I have high blood pressure which means I now also have the kidney disease yay me

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Thanks Naynay,
They changed my med because I was planning on getting pregnant. Im actualy waiting to see if i am or not should now next week. I was on glyburide and lantus. They took me off the glyburide and added humalog before meals. My bp before the change were below around 80 fasting and 120 2hrs after my meals. since the change they have been everywhere between 200-450. I saw my end for the first time tuesday and she broke the news to me that she found in my chart that my last urine culture was abnormal I had a load of protiein and I have high blood pressure which means I now also have the kidney disease yay me
I don't understand how your bg's could be so high with the Humulog rather than the glyburide before meals. I use both Levemir (long acting) and Humulog (fast acting) and my bg's, although sometimes will be high, are usually more normal (or what I consider normal for me). I would be questioning whether you are using enough Humulog before meals. I also had some protein show up in my urine, but it was lower than last time and nobody said anything to me.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good to have you back, Heidi. I know this has been a struggle - but let's dust you off & have another go at it. It isn't the end of the story - let's just take this one day at a time - getting used to a new doc is traumatic enough.

If you have your test results, give us some idea what their findings were. Remind me of what you're eating nowadays. We can help get your sugars back in line & that will help you feel more in control of things.

Hang on - this isn't over! :hug:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
It is a lot to cope with - we will be here in any way we can xx

·
Registered
930 Posts
naynay only

Just the musings of a senile old man, but:

One of the secret modes of operation of that "devil drug" Glyburide (before it burns out one's pancreas in two to five years) may be to defeat one's "protective insulin resistance" so that nearly the full force of one's excess insulin is applied to one's now unprotected cells. This can cause very low blood blood sugar. I even recall one regular forum member stating that they stopped using Glyburide because it drove their level too low.

Glyburide has about the same effect on your body as running your car on "starter fluid (ether)".

Oh NO! I take it back! I know nothing about the horrors of Glyburide. I've never even heard of it. . :rolleyes:

ColaJim

I don't understand how your bg's could be so high with the Humulog rather than the glyburide before meals. I use both Levemir (long acting) and Humulog (fast acting) and my bg's, although sometimes will be high, are usually more normal (or what I consider normal for me). I would be questioning whether you are using enough Humulog before meals. I also had some protein show up in my urine, but it was lower than last time and nobody said anything to me.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I take 10 units of humalog before breakfest and lunch and 1 unit extra for every 50 points above 150 and 15 units before dinner and extra if its above 150 too and 50 units of lantus before bed. Aperently i've had the protien in my urine for a while now and my gp didnt bother to tell me. The endo was highly upset over this and my blood presure being so high is another symptom that goes along with the kidney disease so shes running even more test. Shes also worried about my thyroid said it felt larger then normal and was suprised it had not been checked in a while given my family history of that too so the drama begins the waiting game on lab results has been started

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to have you back, Heidi. I know this has been a struggle - but let's dust you off & have another go at it. It isn't the end of the story - let's just take this one day at a time - getting used to a new doc is traumatic enough.

If you have your test results, give us some idea what their findings were. Remind me of what you're eating nowadays. We can help get your sugars back in line & that will help you feel more in control of things.

Hang on - this isn't over! :hug:
Thanks Shanny,
They didnt give me a copy of my results. Thankfully the endo said she went through my chart with a fine tooth because my gp is obviously a idiot and i have switched gps see the new one on the 28th.
My diet is pretty ok stay away from most of the carby stuff and startches eat alot of meat and fish green veggies for lunch and dinner usualy have plain eggs and susage or bacon for breakfest and snack on cheese and berries drink alot of warter and sugar less green tea not perffect but getting there im pretty good at knowing what gives me highs spent along time eating to my meter I have a slip up once in a while but im human have to have a piece of chocolate atleast when im pmsing lol just like every other woman just cant over due it lol I have been stressed out lately so that plays part in it too its a learning experience every day so just have to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Many people have better control with counting carbs rather than a sliding scale for their insulin. Is there any chance your Endocrinologist or your new GP would agree to the carb counting method? Carb counting (IMHO) is lots easier plus you are not using as much insulin as the sliding scale method.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
When the stresses start piling up, you'll just have to come over here & SCREAM . . . let off some steam. That's what we're here for. ;) So visit often enough to recharge your batteries & return to the battles! :D

It's good that your new endo is reviewing your chart with an eagle eye, but you may have to tell him you'll live a lot longer if he stops scaring you half to death. So much of what we're seeing here seems to be part of the diabetes package - thyroid, kidneys, etc., etc.; it all pops up again and again in so many patients.

From everything I've heard from insulin-dependent friends, I think Strawberry is giving you good advice - perhaps your endo would consider moving you off the sliding scale & onto a much more accurate method.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts