The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dr went on vacation the evening of 12/16 after seeing me as the last patient of the day. He took a BMP and BNP (blood work). The next day his nurse called and told me I am diabetic. BG was 348 and so she ran an A1C and she said my 90 day average was 255. She told me "Don't eat any syrup or honey and come back to see the Dr when he gets back on the 29th." I got a meter and took my blood sugar . It was 394. I started a low carb diet right then, and went to the web to do research. Yesterday I saw the Dr and he sat me down and explained I am diabetic and started to write prescriptions. I pulled out my blood glucose readings for the last two weeks and he was pleasantly surprised. He did give me a prescription for Metformin 500 mg daily and said to fill it if I couldn't keep my BG under 130 with diet. This forum is one of the resources I used for information. I appreciate the help.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Congrats on grabbing the reins, Nachman - good job! What did you bring your bs down to? Sinking your numbers without meds shows how powerful low-carb is, and really it should be intuitive. Not landing in the lap of a CDE is the best thing that happened to you :)

When your doc mentioned the 130 number, did he mean at any time (such as 1-2 hours after eating) or as an average? If the former, you've got yourself a great and progressive doc.

Welcome to the forum - glad you've joined us.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. It sounds like you are figuring out this disease. How many a times a day are you testing? My doctor never told me to test at the right times. So at first I was not picking up the highs. After I came to online forums I found out how important that 2 hour after testing is. Watching what I ate especially the carbs helped me get my HbA1c back to the low 5's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Dr was talking about the morning fasting reading when he said <130. I have gotten down to 101 to 119 in the AM fasting. I take BG when I get up and at 2PM, two hours after lunch. The morning one is always higher than the 2PM. I wonder if that will change as I am on the diet longer?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
You're doing stunningly well considering where you were - and without meds. Serious kudos.

Personally, I try to test at various times during the day. At first I was a maniac, now I've calmed down as I gained some control, but sometimes test after lunch, sometimes after dinner, sometimes right before bed, just to get a better handle on what's happening with my body/diet throughout the day.

There could be evening tweaks that would help with your fasting numbers. Some people find eating a snack just before bed helps with dawn phenomenon -

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
My Dr went on vacation the evening of 12/16 after seeing me as the last patient of the day. He took a BMP and BNP (blood work). The next day his nurse called and told me I am diabetic. BG was 348 and so she ran an A1C and she said my 90 day average was 255. She told me "Don't eat any syrup or honey and come back to see the Dr when he gets back on the 29th." I got a meter and took my blood sugar . It was 394. I started a low carb diet right then, and went to the web to do research. Yesterday I saw the Dr and he sat me down and explained I am diabetic and started to write prescriptions. I pulled out my blood glucose readings for the last two weeks and he was pleasantly surprised. He did give me a prescription for Metformin 500 mg daily and said to fill it if I couldn't keep my BG under 130 with diet. This forum is one of the resources I used for information. I appreciate the help.
I think we maybe forcing some doctors out of business !!

Good job on the flying start !

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
. I wonder if that will change as I am on the diet longer?
I think that will improve, with reducing glycogen stores in the liver. I think if you continue on a low carb diet and continue to exercise for long the glycogen reserves (causing the liver dumping) should reduce.

This is not a medical advice but has worked for me and my mom. Your results may vary but somehow in a crude way it sounds logical to me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts