The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard several books about diabetes mentioned here and quickly poo-poo'ed. Is "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" one of those, or is it a good read? :confused:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've heard several books about diabetes mentioned here and quickly poo-poo'ed. Is "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" one of those, or is it a good read? :confused:
Dr. Bernstein is highly respected in many quarters, but of course there are always some who disparage his ideas.

I haven't read the book cover-to-cover, but what I've read makes sense to me, and he has put most of it online for public access, so he isn't trying to separate us from our money, like many of these diabetes diet gurus do.

If people look at it as a stern directory which must be followed to the letter, they may think it's too harsh (he hasn't eaten a piece of fruit in umpteen years), but if approached as guidelines - from a practical perspective of trying what has worked for him to see if it works for you - it's an incredibly informative book. Definitely take some time to read it.

He also has seminars & webcasts . . . http://www.diabetes-book.com/

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I just bought his book (my daughter works at a bookstore, gets a discount, lol...) and I'm quite impressed with what he has to say.

He's spot-on on LOTS of information.

The information in the book is great, but yes, his diet is VERY restrictive. But then again, he's about VERY TIGHT CONTROL of diabetes, so it makes sense in that regard.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I bought the book 4 years ago and have read most of the chapters several times. I actually go through it with my highlighter and highlight the important segments. I use it as a reference book. I feel it is the best book that really explains how a diabetic body works. His approach to treating diabetes is managing your bgs by managing your insulin response or use of injected insulin. He feels with a lower carb diet you don't need as much insulin to push it through the cells for energy. Following this diet has allowed me to get back to my college weight and now my bgs are in a normal range most of the day. He does require lots of testing and bg logging. But I think it is worth it. I would love my doctor to be Dr Bernstein. He treats each patient as an individual and designs a treatment plan depending on what time of day they spike. After a few years I have tweaked his diet a little to fit my needs but I do use his carb limits as a guide ( 6-12-12) . There is also a Bernstein forum that I frequent. Everyone on there follows his plan. It is a good place for recipes, too. This is a WOE
(way of eating) you can do for life. I even have my husband eating this way, now.

Reactions: tim27818

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
His diet is restrictive but many of us use it as a baseline and add or subtract carbs depending on our bgs.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
His diet is restrictive but many of us use it as a baseline and add or subtract carbs depending on our bgs.

I'm actually reading his book at this very moment - I haven't been able to put it down all day. I'm learning so much. I feel like fire-bombing the ADA! :mad:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds like a book i should pick up.
I do not really want to live low carb, but sometimes you lose options as life moves forwards
Right now I am doing well and losing weight on 150 - 200 g carbs per day, but that number will i am sure need to come down

Good luck with it
Don

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was just reading a post on the Bernstein Forum about how a Type 2 who was very out of control dedided to schedule an appointment with Dr Bernstein in NY. Her first appointment took almost 3 days. Can you imagine any doctor spending that amount of time with a diabetic patient. He totally changed her meds and types of insulin and of course the diet. Within a month her bgs had come down a lot. Most of us don't live near NY so we can't see him but we can follow the advise in his book. I don't do quite as low carb as he recomends, but am wondering if I should start. I have gotten my HbA1c down to 5.3 but I think Dr B's HbA1c is in the mid 4's and it has been this way for years with no lows.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just reading a post on the Bernstein Forum about how a Type 2 who was very out of control dedided to schedule an appointment with Dr Bernstein in NY. Her first appointment took almost 3 days. Can you imagine any doctor spending that amount of time with a diabetic patient. He totally changed her meds and types of insulin and of course the diet. Within a month her bgs had come down a lot. Most of us don't live near NY so we can't see him but we can follow the advise in his book. I don't do quite as low carb as he recomends, but am wondering if I should start. I have gotten my HbA1c down to 5.3 but I think Dr B's HbA1c is in the mid 4's and it has been this way for years with no lows.

I love this book. Just by the way he writes AND the fact that he himself is a diabetic, you know he really cares about people with diabetes. I thought I had been doing okay until I read about the sugar alcohols in "sugar free" products, so I replaced all of those today, thanks to this book.

The only thing that dismays me about it is the advice he gives on foot care - it is INCREDIBLY restrictive. Cold showers, can't go swimming, can't walk on the beach barefoot, can't take a relaxing hot bath - I can't live like that.

·
Registered
54 Posts

I love this book. Just by the way he writes AND the fact that he himself is a diabetic, you know he really cares about people with diabetes. I thought I had been doing okay until I read about the sugar alcohols in "sugar free" products, so I replaced all of those today, thanks to this book.

The only thing that dismays me about it is the advice he gives on foot care - it is INCREDIBLY restrictive. Cold showers, can't go swimming, can't walk on the beach barefoot, can't take a relaxing hot bath - I can't live like that.
I am with you - there is living and then there is life! as long as i can hold onto the small things that bring joy, i will!. I am not a hedonist, but I do believe in living life to the fullest, If I can get my A1c's into the 5's without giving up many of the things i enjoy, I will, BUT, i will give up what i have to to be healthy

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
That's my whole argument in favor of Bernstein's methods. He has provided a strong albeit rigid framework that's been proven to WORK. People can read it - think for themselves, take what works for them, leave what they feel is overkill, and figure out their own individual ways of life. I will never understand the need to be spoonfed each bite the way some programs dictate.

Years ago before my diagnosis, we bought the South Beach diet book. Every page directed us to particular ingredients, specific brands, etc., many of which weren't to be found in our rural area, and if they WERE found, the prices were higher than we could afford. I get that many people don't have the knowledge of foods/cooking/nutrition that I have, but that knowledge can be acquired too. We diabetics need to educate ourselves, because at this point, our medical professionals are dropping the ball.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We clearly have to be informed to have the best chance of success, but it is often hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. I recognize that Dr Bernstein has a large following and probably has some very good things to say ( I really need to read his book )

I guess at its heart it is so frustrating that there is so little that is really known about diabetes. I talk with my Dr and he clearly knows a lot that i do not, but about diabetes he is not guiding me, my treatment depends on me, I would like to have a much larger consensus on how to treat diabetes than exists today..

At least we know more than a decade ago

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We clearly have to be informed to have the best chance of success, but it is often hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. I recognize that Dr Bernstein has a large following and probably has some very good things to say ( I really need to read his book )

I guess at its heart it is so frustrating that there is so little that is really known about diabetes. I talk with my Dr and he clearly knows a lot that i do not, but about diabetes he is not guiding me, my treatment depends on me, I would like to have a much larger consensus on how to treat diabetes than exists today..

At least we know more than a decade ago

My GP is an annoying woman who rolls her eyes at me when I'M the one with the diabetes and she ISN'T, yet she continues to tell me to add fruit to my diet. I trust Dr. Bernstein for the simple fact that he himself is a diabetic, whereas my own doctor, the only wisdom she has to impart is the stuff she learned from Ancel Keys and his froot loop food pyramid.

Dr. Bernstein's book is available for download for 5 bucks at Ebooks | BooksOnBoard | Online eBook Store, Downloadable Audio Books, Digital eBooks | Ebooks | BooksOnBoard and there are also a few free chapters online. Check it out, definitely!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.