1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
All I did was go on LCHF and all my GERD/IBS/reflux symptoms departed - no special tweaks, I just realized one day that I was no longer suffering those gastric problems. If LCHF needs modification for these specific conditions, I must have done it inadvertently, because nobody was more surprised than me to find such awful issues missing entirely! So what are these modifications, anyhow?

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Initially low-carb helped my GERD. It got me off of PPIs which I had been taking for a decade. However for the past year I have had trouble again with acid reflux.

I take Tums a few times a week now and nothing stronger because I have learned that the side effects of PPIs are bad and long term. It would be nice to completely beat the GERD. I have always assumed that SIBO or something similar is what's causing it but never have had a good doctor to look into it further.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I used to have a real problem with GERD and my Gastroenterologist prescribed a PPI and I have been taking it for two years. I have not had a problem since with heartburn or GERD but when I heard that people found LCHF solved their problems I was hopeful that I could stop the PPI. I tried about a month ago and the next day after I stopped taking it I had heartburn all day and a reflux at night so I started back on it. I am hoping that maybe after longer on this WOE I can try again with better success. I'm going to try anyway and maybe try probiotics also.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have issues with IBS on and off, and only had occasional heartburn. When that occurred, usually Tums or Pepcid Complete would take care of it. It also seemed to be worse at a certain point of my cycle (like ovulation), but now it is somewhat rare. I still experience problems with IBS, but it is on and off, and when it is acting up, I will get gassy and tend to either burp or just have a lot of air in my system that comes up on me (not a burp, not a belch...don't know what to call it). I take Align probiotic daily, and if antibiotics are needed I use Florastor to help counteract the removal of the good gut bacteria. Seems to work pretty well.

I have noticed that I have less flatulence since eating lchf (TMI?). I also have found that with the elimination of processed foods I have normal regular bowel habits. Again TMI? :)

Reactions: Shanny and Daytona

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
No such thing as TMI around here! My GERD went bye-bye with LCHF, too ... but I did add a probiotic; it keeps other issues at bay.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
WalkerWally, going off the drugs can have the effect of making heartburn worse for a while. You need to tough it through that part (use Tums or Gaviscon) and then you'll be ok.
Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking and I think it's time to try it again. I used to have a bottle of Tums in my bedroom and my car and had a pocketful with me every day so I'm used to it. I'll see once more how it goes.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
DH and I have been eating lc/hf for a couple of years. His acid reflux is better, but still there. I hear that losing weight can help with reflux, and he lost a lot.

Hate to be a wet blanket here, but my reflux started about 3 weeks ago (while eating low carb) so I have been taking Pepcid OTC which helps some. I have a doc. appointment on Monday and I'm sure he'll put me on a prescription drug. I have had pretty severe dryness, soreness and burning of the throat and roof of the mouth, and understand the acid can cause throat caner and I don't want that, so I see no choice but to take the meds.

It also recommends a low carb diet, with some modifications for those with GERD, acid reflux and IBS.
Wonder what the modifications are.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I stopped taking the PPI I'd been on for years after starting lchf and I now need an antacid tablet once a month or so. Before eating lchf I had to use antacid tablets, as well as the PPI, a couple of times a week. My whole digestive system seemed to calm down with lchf.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I am in the same boat as you Gizmo. Would love to hear a concrete answer on what we could do differently with LCFH but in the meantime, the damage from the GERD has to be dealt with somehow.

DH and I have been eating lc/hf for a couple of years. His acid reflux is better, but still there. I hear that losing weight can help with reflux, and he lost a lot.

Hate to be a wet blanket here, but my reflux started about 3 weeks ago (while eating low carb) so I have been taking Pepcid OTC which helps some. I have a doc. appointment on Monday and I'm sure he'll put me on a prescription drug. I have had pretty severe dryness, soreness and burning of the throat and roof of the mouth, and understand the acid can cause throat caner and I don't want that, so I see no choice but to take the meds.

Wonder what the modifications are.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
A condition called Barrett's Esophagus can develop from long-term reflux disease; so if you have concerns, you could always be tested for it. It's a type of displasia.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
A condition called Barrett's Esophagus can develop from long-term reflux disease; so if you have concerns, you could always be tested for it. It's a type of displasia.
Wow, that's scary. But I don't have any of the symptoms...
frequent and longstanding heartburn
trouble swallowing (dysphagia)
vomiting blood (hematemesis)
pain under the breastbone where the esophagus meets the stomach
unintentional weight loss because eating is painful

Even though my throat burns, I never have heartburn. I'm sure the doc will have me get an endoscopy. Really looking forward to that.

My self-diagnoses is that I have Silent Gerd.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just my personal opinion, but:

If your "acid reflux" was made better by a low carb diet, then it most likely was not acid reflux. When on a lower salt diet, the stomach often can't make enough acid to inhibit candida from multiplying in your stomach which can cause serious distress, and a lower carb diet reduces the amount of sugars for the candida/H. pylori to grow and multiply in.

just saying... :)

You Need More Salt

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
WalkerWally, going off the drugs can have the effect of making heartburn worse for a while. You need to tough it through that part (use Tums or Gaviscon) and then you'll be ok.
I just thought I would update this post. It's been a week since I stopped taking the PPI and so far I have had no heartburn or acid-reflux :D The last time I tried this about a month ago I had an immediate reaction with heartburn and reflux that night so this time, cross fingers, it looks much better. Thanks for giving me the boost.
:whoo:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts