The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I saw his diabetes presentation today, it was very well done! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I was reading emails during the show and I don't remember that part at the moment. I was impressed at his examining people on the street and esentially diagnosing them on the spot. Very impressive!

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Richard O, the word "cure" should be replaced by "reversal" in all your posts. Please refer to it as a reversal in your future posts. When a Type 2 diabetic can stop medication and have an A1c below 6.0 consistently then the diabetes has been reversed, but not cured. There is a big difference, as John has stated.

A Type 1 diabetic cannot ever stop taking insulin but reducing the amount of insulin needed and having an A1c below 6.0 is somewhat of a reversal. My A1c's have been below 6.0 for many years and my total daily insulin dosage is much less than it used to be, so there is a reversal in my case. If I get careless and forget my insulin before a meal then my BG rises abruptly. I am always aware my Type 1 is there.

Islet cell transplants have been in the news and in the websites for quite some time now but no newscast has said a "cure" for diabetes has been found. If there was a cure then all of us would know about it. I have read about some diabetics in South America who were given islet cells and their diabetes improved significantly and some people on insulin were able to stop insulin, but only for a while. Their diabetes returned later on. It was much like a Type 1 diabetic receiving a pancreas transplant. I know several people who have had transplants. They usually fail after some time has passed but no insulin was needed while the transplant was working properly. I would be willing to call that a "temporary cure". I have not read about any diabetic who had a pancreas transplant that worked properly for many years. That is why some diabetics have had repeated transplants. If I was offered a transplant I would refuse to accept. My control is very good and I have no complications after 64 years, so a transplant does not appeal to me. I do not need a transplant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.