The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew it tasted too good to be true :p

Cooked it as per instructions...maybe even a bit undercooked. I know it says on the package there is only 5gm "digestible carbs" but there was no way I going to trust that and only dose for 5. So I compromised and dosed for half the amount of carbs if I were counting them all (which is listed as the standard pasta 41 per serving). I figured if it was even half, that would be better than regular pasta and would be worth the extra expense.

Results:
premeal: 117
2hr post: 150
3hr post: 180

At that point I couldnt stand it anymore and gave myself a correction bolus. Looks like it affects me pretty much the same way as regular pasta does. Too bad :(

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
That hurts! But I'm glad you corrected at three hours, because the link Breeze posted to BS101 sez it can keep rising for many many hours! I'm definitely curtailing my consumption - not curbing completely - just curtailing . . . :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Have you tried the shiritaki noodles? I haven't yet but am waiting for someone to tell me how they taste.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OMG! I swear I am never eating this stuff again. I am now at 5.5 hours after eating it and my blood sugar is 203! At least with normal pasta I can cover it because I can predict the spike :( *sigh* lessons learned...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Dreamfields works for me. I had a 141 before dinner (liver dump, no pm snack) and a 95 two hours later. Next morning was 129, but I always run high in the morning. This was maybe 5 points over my average. And if my blood sugar had been climbing for 5 or more hours after dinner, then I wouldn't have got the 2AM liver dump to raise my blood sugar, right? Unless the 129 was all the rise I got after like 12 hours, which seems unlikely.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
OMG! I swear I am never eating this stuff again. I am now at 5.5 hours after eating it and my blood sugar is 203! At least with normal pasta I can cover it because I can predict the spike :( *sigh* lessons learned...
Thanks for info. I think I will stick with normal pasta as well.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Joshua? The shiratakis are okay, but don't expect them to be like ordinary noodles. They're a little chewy in texture, which I didn't mind, and they take on the flavors of what they're cooked with, so when I do the parboiling, I often add bouillon to give them a little "oomph".

I've heard others describe them like eating rubber bands, but I don't think it's that bad, unless you have a real thing about texture. What I did learn is to cut through them with scissors several times, because they're quite long, & they don't cut through readily with the side of your fork or a spoon.

Pam, I'm so sorry you're still climbing . . . this is a real hard lesson learned & I'm partly at fault for praising it so highly before. :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Well I might have to try some at some point. I have been able twice to get away with simply eating a small amount of pasta and no other carbs with my regular insulin bolus. I don't really have a strong noodle need, except for mom's chicken and noodle when I am sick, so I might be able to get away with the occasional taste.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ok, did the Dreamfield thing again. No before dinner number, but 2 hours later was 90. 4 hours later, bedtime, was 125. 6 hours later (2AM) was 137. 8 hours later (4AM) was 115. 5 hours later I woke up at 114. Now, I did eat an Eggo waffle (Nutrigrain whole grain) with Smuckers no sugar added jam just before the bedtime reading. quite frankly, it looks like I need to eat Dreamfield pasta for my dinner to avoid the rebound.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You arent at fault at all Shanny. I wanted to see if they would work for me...and they didnt :) Everyone handles carbs differently and this is how we learn :) I think the problem for me was it does exactly what it says it will do. It breaks down later at a slower rate. Since I dont make the insulin to cover it later, it spikes me. I think if I set my pump to bolus me over a long period of time...say 6 hours it would probably work. But honestly, for me its easier to predict that fairly quick spike with normal pasta and just cover it with insulin and be done with it :) Just one more way we are all different I guess!

·
Registered
213 Posts
You arent at fault at all Shanny. I wanted to see if they would work for me...and they didnt :) Everyone handles carbs differently and this is how we learn :) I think the problem for me was it does exactly what it says it will do. It breaks down later at a slower rate. Since I dont make the insulin to cover it later, it spikes me. I think if I set my pump to bolus me over a long period of time...say 6 hours it would probably work. But honestly, for me its easier to predict that fairly quick spike with normal pasta and just cover it with insulin and be done with it :) Just one more way we are all different I guess!
Could this be a difference between those of us who are insulin-dependent and those of us who aren't? The oral meds are still there working hours later, lowering our insulin resistance, so we can handle that slower metabolizing. But with the pump, or injected insulin, you'd need to adjust the basal rate or the slow-acting insulin dose to cover those slow carbs. You're right, Onaughmae, it's simpler to adjust the mealtime dose of fast-acting, and less dangerous, too.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines last night . . . that for people using insulin, Dreamfields can create more problems than it solves! I have had the same experience as you, Cathy, in that my levels will even drop, in the first hours after a Dreamfields meal. That gave me a false sense of security, so I was exercising a lot less portion control. :rolleyes: I'll continue to use the product, but in smaller portions and perhaps less frequently! :tongue1:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm not a huge pasta fan, except maybe in mac and cheese. The 2 ounce serving is perfect for me using it as a side dish with a meat and veggies. Sweetie loves spaghetti, though, and considers anything less than a 6 ounce serving wholly inadequate, preferably with a meatless spaghetti sauce. That will have to change. He was happy with the 2 ounce rotini servings he's had, but he's not had the spaghetti yet.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I just bought a vegetable julienne slicer to make "noodles" from zucchini, et al.

I have read recommendations to use zucc, rutabaga, carrots (smaller amts) etc., vs. my fave stand-in the spag squash. Anyone else tried this?

I appear to tolerate 2 oz at a time of Dreamfields, but want to cut down on wheat exposure since my D is autoimmune.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Cathy, I think you're onto something. I'm a non-insulin dependent Type 2 and I had great success with Dreamfields. I tested 2-3-4-5 hours out because so many people told me that there would be a delayed spike, but the spike never came. Real spaghetti affects me much, much more than the Dreamfields. I just make sure to cook al dente and not eat more than the serving size.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I haven't tried this, Linda, but I found a blurb in LHJ from Ree Drummond - the Pioneer Woman - who deep fries her zucchini "noodles" for beautifully crisp fries.
  • Run a zucchini lengthwise over a fine julienne slicer, discarding the seedy center.
  • Blot the thin strips lightly between paper towels to remove excess moisture.
  • Working in batches, drop the zucchini in a pot of canola oil heated to 375°F; deep-fry for 30 seconds or less.
  • Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towel and sprinkle with kosher salt.
Wish I could find a link at their site, because the picture was great!
(edit: Okay - found a picture on her own website - obvious which ones are the crispy fries - http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen-blog/files/2010/08/4927648759_364f423290_o-550x366.jpg)
I just bought a vegetable julienne slicer to make "noodles" from zucchini, et al.

I have read recommendations to use zucc, rutabaga, carrots (smaller amts) etc., vs. my fave stand-in the spag squash. Anyone else tried this?

I appear to tolerate 2 oz at a time of Dreamfields, but want to cut down on wheat exposure since my D is autoimmune.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you tried the shiritaki noodles? I haven't yet but am waiting for someone to tell me how they taste.
I have tried the Shirataki noodles - I am Asian so use them with an Asian fish broth and I like it. Not the same as the regular noodles - but it is okay. They are tasteless so whatever sauce you use will be the predominate taste. The texture is different though. I haven't tried it with Italian sauces for spaghetti type dishes because I thought the texture would be just a little too weird for me. Also, there is an unusual odor to the noodles when you take them out of the package - but I boil the noodles for about 5 mins, rinse with tap water and the odor is usually gone. I tested the first couple of times I ate the noodles. I tested at 1 hr and 2 hr and never had any jump in BG levels. I hope this info helps. Also, I found the noodles at Whole Foods.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts