The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmmm...except for decaf, which I started drinking about 6 years ago and my diabetes started about 2 years ago. Anyway, here's an interesting article by Dr. Andrew Weil:

Can Coffee Prevent Diabetes? - Dr. Weil
A number of studies have linked coffee consumption to lower rates of type 2 diabetes. The latest one, from the University of California, Los Angeles, sheds new light on why coffee may be protective. The investigators focused on a protein called sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), which regulates the activity of testosterone and estrogen, hormones that are both believed to play a role in the development of the disease. The research team determined that coffee boosts blood levels of SHBG and found that women who drank at least four cups daily had less than half the risk of developing type 2 diabetes as those who didn't drink any coffee.
Your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I wish this was true. I have been a big coffee drinker for the past 30 years and even though I am fairly thin it didn't help me from getting Type 2. I also ate a ton of almonds another thing they said will help prevent Type 2. I really think this is one of those causal relationships.

G

·
I've heard of this before... I'm sure it has some health benefits... but I'm not sure about prevention as such as there is so many factors that influence whether or not we get diabetes. I tend to be a coffee drinker mostly, but I limit it to 2 cups per day, and I usually have those in the morning. I may break out and have an extra cup sometimes, especially if I'm out having coffee with others.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Lifelong Coffee Fiend checking in ...

With my family history, it was gonna happen sooner or later.

The Good Stuff may have delayed my onset, but my time machine's in the shop, so I have no way of knowing for sure. If nothing else, it's made the trip a bit more pleasant.

Diana -- "Rebel with the Pause," huh? Love it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's funny because every now and again they come up with something that coffee can either cure/help or hinder/make worse - I'm getting rather dizzy with it all :)

If it's true then great news!

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's funny because every now and again they come up with something that coffee can either cure/help or hinder/make worse - I'm getting rather dizzy with it all :)

If it's true then great news!
ALL i am saying is I am going with it!! Coffee is GOOD Coffee is GOOD

:smile:

Don

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did not become a real coffee drinker until I was about 56 and now sad to admit, I drink 8 cups of coffee ( 3 large mugs ) every morning. It's what makes getting up in the morning worthwhile --:D I LUV it !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unless the centers for disease control come right out and say give it up, I am not going to..coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Oddly, it spiked me at first, but I haven't checked it lately. Maybe I should? I miss it, but drank a Coke in the morning for years for the caffeine in it.

Hmm....

G

·
We also produce excess cortisol when we eat or drink stimulants like coffee, caffeinated tea, sugar, or chocolate. This excess cortisol in the system interferes with the production and efficacy of other hormones in the body.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yes if you look up caffeine and cortisol, it is worth a read.

I am cutting back on coffee to see if it helps my Bg's -- albeit indirectly.

Taxes this year really messed them up!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
My endo checked my cortisol level last fall and it was incredibly high when I woke up and dropped to almost nothing late in the day. Wonder if I should have it checked again. I haven't had coffee or even the rare decaf in months now. Is there a way to check it other than the saliva test she had me use?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I wondered why my fasting bg was so high this morning... 98. After spending most of yesterday evening experimenting with cocoa, trying to make decent tasting chocolate candy (which was almost like eating cocoa straight from the can) I'll bet cocoa is VERY high in caffine. High bg explained.

There are no greater coffee hounds than my husband and me, for over 47 years, and we both have Diabetes. Ain't it amazing how the studies show us one thing and we know from experience that just the opposite is true.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Cocoa is not very high in caffeine. It has theobromine, but in small amounts.

It does have some sugars though.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I know someone that says she has no personality without coffee lol

I also remember reading somewhere that it can give you a quick spike...but I drink it all the time so I think my blood is part coffee anyway

Reactions: Diana
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.