The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am a 29 year old female, who was diagnosed 1.5 years ago with an A1C of 11.0.

I’m currently on a very low dosage, about 6 units of Lantus every night, and 1 unit of Humalog for every 20-25g of Carbohydrates. I’m petite, about 5’2 and 110 lbs, and also very active. I have also noticed that I have lots of hypos with physical activity (running, tennis, even walking). I usually don’t take Humalog with my meals if I am running afterwards. Example: eating 45g of carbs and running for about 25 minutes will result in a BG result of 3.7!

My endo said this is very low for adults. In fact it is equivalent to the dosage in babies or small children. He asked if I had ever considered going off the Lantus.

Is this safe to try, while monitoring my glucose levels frequently? Could this mean I’m still in Honeymoon? How long does this last?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Stella, welcome to our community! It does sound like you may still be experiencing a honeymoon period. 1.5 years does seem rather long for a honeymoon but it has happened with some other type 1 diabetics. I think your cutting your Lantus dosage in half for a few days might b a good idea. If yu still have lows then stopping the Lantus like your doctor suggested might work. Has your doctor considered the possibility that you might be type 1.5 instead of type 1?

I have been type 1 for 64 years and I am very healthy. we can have long, healthy lives if we have good control!

Richard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts