The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following the bubble in drug prices of all kinds. In a Bloomberg.com article today (mostly on cancer drugs & medical resistance to cost increases) there was this paragraph toward the end:

"This year, Express Scripts excluded certain diabetes drugs from Novo Nordisk A/S from its main formulary for the first time, including the insulin drug NovoLog, citing the availability of alternatives. Novo Nordisk cited the move on May 1 as a factor in lowering its 2014 sales forecast. "

Anyone had experience with this?

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Kaiser Permanente switched me from Norvo Nordisk (Novolin/Novolog) to Lilly (Humulin/Humalog) late last year. I believe other Forum members reported similar changes.

It seems the Norvo Nordisk products cost more than near-identical formulas produced by Lilly.

Their quality levels are very close, but -- to me, at least -- Norvo Nordisk was a notch more efficient.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shalynne, Kaiser Permanente just switched me from Lantus to Humulin N as well. They said I could no longer be on Lantus because of the Fed. government rules. Humulin does not work for me at all.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Yeah, Express Scripts dumped my beloved Accu-chek Aviva meter in Jan this year. Switched me to One Touch Ultra2. Fortunately I had a huge backlog of strips so I am still using my Accu-chek. What is odd is that they still provide the lancets for the Multiclix device which is made by the same manufacturer as the Accu-chek. :confused:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shalynne, Kaiser Permanente just switched me from Lantus to Humulin N as well. They said I could no longer be on Lantus because of the Fed. government rules. Humulin does not work for me at all.
Don't give up quite yet. If you & your MD can document that the switch to Humulin led to failure to control your BG, it is quite possible you'll be able to switch back to Lantus as is done sometimes when generics fail after switching from brand name drugs.

Federal guidelines often include options like this. But I'm sure that blood work documentation (lab fbg, a1c) would be necessary, not your meter readings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts