The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I did a market research thingie online, giving feedback on a series of ads - which ones I liked most, least, what I liked about them, etc. I qualified by being diabetic and whatever demographics I fell into.

Anyway - the ads were for a drug that 'removes sugar' from your body after you've eaten it, up to something like 17 tsps of sugar that is then secreted through one's urine.

There's obviously no information on who makes this drug, if it has actual FDA approval (why are they doing ad campaign market research at this point? or have I just not heard of this wonder drug?) or anything else. It was real research because I got paid - but it surely was odd.

Anyone heard about a drug (in development even) that stops sugar in its tracks?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hey moon, are you allowed to share the link on the forum. I would like to check it out

Tony

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, there isn't a link, Tony. I was solicited by email to participate in this bit of paid market research, and can only tell you what the series of ads was for.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Unfortunately, there isn't a link, Tony. I was solicited by email to participate in this bit of paid market research, and can only tell you what the series of ads was for.
Oh that's ok moon. Lets see if this sees the light of the day..

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Google "dapagliflozin" for all the ins/outs/ups/downs on this drug. It sorta sounds like FDA rejected it, but has now been persuaded to review that decision. But of course! A cash cow like this would be?! :rolleyes:

New Drug for Diabetes Removes Excess Blood Sugar Through Urine. A promising new medicine for diabetes may soon be available. Short-term studies of safety are showing good results. The drug is called dapagliflozin. It lowers blood sugar levels by causing unusually large amounts of sugar to spill into the urine. But this drug does not correct the abnormal metabolism that causes diabetes. It also does not make glucose more available to the body as a fuel source. So it would not be an appropriate treatment alone for most diabetics. Lower blood sugar levels may help lower complications of diabetes. But more studies are needed to confirm this. A welcome side effect of the drug is weight loss. A report about the drug was released online by Lancet on June 24. <source>

Here is the Lancet journal article aforementioned: ScienceDirect - The Lancet : Effect of dapagliflozin in patients with type 2 diabetes who have inadequate glycaemic control with metformin: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Sounds like some of those starch blockers that are already on the market. But as Shanny said they don't correct the underlying problems of insulin resistance or insulin insufficiency. I don't believe any of these "miracle drugs" If they encourage you to eat foods that you shouldn't be eating, that is a bad idea. If you keep eating sugars and starches you will definitely put weight on which makes IR worse.

Reactions: foxl

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Thats a scary product, having your kidneys filter out that much glucose.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Shanny - your detective skills are far superior to mine.

Here's one from yesterday Bristol-AstraZeneca Diabetes Drug Revived as Doctors Urge Option - Businessweek

Financial bonanza is right if this is approved, and it looks like when not if.

The ads they wanted feedback on had visuals of sugar basically being poured out of the body (there were about 5 of them) - scary indeed, on many levels.

·
Registered
78 Posts
browsing through the abstracts in a Pubmed search, it would seem to be a relatively safe drug, although several papers did say more research was needed.

dapagliflozin works by inhibiting the sodium/glucose transport pumps in the renal tubules, where glucose is normally resorbed by the kidneys. stop the pumps and the glucose just flows on out through the urinary system instead of being sucked back in like it normally would be.

studies showed lowered HbA1C, weight loss, decreased blood pressure, reduced risk of hypoglycemia compared to other meds. No changes in renal function were observed, although most studies didn't last more than 12 weeks. the longest one i saw followed patients for 52 weeks.

several papers mentioned an increased incidence of urinary tract and genital infections

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks, Eugene!

browsing through the abstracts in a Pubmed search, it would seem to be a relatively safe drug, although several papers did say more research was needed.

dapagliflozin works by inhibiting the sodium/glucose transport pumps in the renal tubules, where glucose is normally resorbed by the kidneys. stop the pumps and the glucose just flows on out through the urinary system instead of being sucked back in like it normally would be.

studies showed lowered HbA1C, weight loss, decreased blood pressure, reduced risk of hypoglycemia compared to other meds. No changes in renal function were observed, although most studies didn't last more than 12 weeks. the longest one i saw followed patients for 52 weeks.

several papers mentioned an increased incidence of urinary tract and genital infections

1 - 11 of 11 Posts