Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Dumped Sugar Free

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rusticguy 
G
#1 ·
G
#2 ·
yeah I have a friend that gave up diet coke as it has aspartame in it... she read an article on it too. I've always been a bit weary of artificial stuff myself. I do carry Splenda with me but use it sparingly (actually more like rarely). My family continues to advocate "eat the real stuff" and I have to agree it's the better option. Here luckily if I want to add any sugar... I have a low GI sugar option which I do use. I think it's only sold on our shelves here though. I have found it doesn't spike me like normal sugar too. Of course you do have to be careful like with anything.

#6 ·
in Japan they have been using stevia (not an artificial sweetener) to sweeten sodas for ages now...its only just been allowed in Australia as an additive...still not as a sweetener...I figure there is a money angle...or else why wouldn't they ? Ah its a plant anyone could grow lol...no profit in that!

#7 ·
If everyone could grow it, I'd have a stevia ranch by now! :D

(... guitars gently strum near the campfire, restless greenery settles in for the night ...)

Ahem. There's also lo han (or luo han), made from a Chinese fruit. Stevia's good, but I like this in my beverages. It's a tad pricey, but can be found online.

But sometimes, even these sweeteners come with added sugars (!) such as maltodextrin, levulose ... sucrose, even. More packages to read.

#8 ·
I have no idea why it costs so much....baffles me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.