The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister is type 2, recently diagnosed and is thinking about having her ears pierced. She knows small sores and cuts can be a big deal for a diabetic so wants to know whether or not ear piercing is advised for diabetics.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I can't imagine why it would be an issue for an in-control diabetic. It's not much more than a finger-prick really.

That said, you probably want to hear from someone who has more than an opinion, by that I mean actual knowledge :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think it shouldn't be a problem, but make sure she follows the cleaning instructions with alcohol every night. Also make sure she gets good quality ear rings. My daughter got some cheap ones and got a terrible infection that took months to clear up.

G

·
well I've actually had my ears pierced 3 times in my lifetime..... the first 2 times I wound up with infection and had to stop wearing earings and let the holes close up... that was when I was aged 9 and then 14. When I hit 21 I went and had them done again and I followed the cleaning instructions... but I cleaned twice dailiy with the recommended solution just to be sure. Also I made sure I didn't get cheap earings. Also I didn't take my earings out until the wound was healed properly. I still can't tolerate cheap earings very well or for very long and wear gold earings mainly. I'm sure your sister should be fine if she keeps ear lobes cleaned, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My sister is type 2, recently diagnosed and is thinking about having her ears pierced. She knows small sores and cuts can be a big deal for a diabetic so wants to know whether or not ear piercing is advised for diabetics.
I'm a type 1 diabetic with average glucose control and I got my ear pierced about 2 years ago and I never had a problem. The key thing is to follow the cleaning instructions, as others have stated. Go someplace sterile...don't like do it wham-bam in a neighborhood garage. I got mine done at a reputable piercing/tattoo studio...double the price, but double the cleanliness. (That's good to follow for ANYBODY getting their ear pierced..not just diabetics).

The only problem I could see is getting an infection which could possibly cause some adventurous blood sugar control problems, although I'm not sure a small infection on the ear would cause too many problems. Keeping the area clean will prevent any concerns though.

I don't think small cuts and sores would be too much a problem on that part of the ear (can't remember what that little skin flap is called). I could be wrong, but I imagine it would be no different than like getting a hang nail or a zit or cutting yourself shaving. The feet are really the spot she needs to watch out for.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I've had many piercings :) um a suggestions I'd make is to take some extra strength garlic capsules (natural antibiotic) for a few days b4 the piercing and a for a week after. All that will do is boost her ability to fight off any infection. I can't see any other problems if she is in control.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts