The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be the right forum for this question, but maybe I can be directed to the right place if not.

I frequently wake and feel sorta cold and doze on and off for awhile. Then, I begin to feel hot and throw the cover off and that's when I get up. I know from some other endo tests that I have a high cortisol in the mornings which drops all day long. I read something by Jwags about this maybe and wonder if my FBG goes up then also. Should I try to make myself wake enough to take it when I'm still feeling slightly cold before the 'hot flash' feeling occurs?

Has anyone else felt this and knows what it is? I hesitate to sit up and take it because I love the early morning dozing and would hate to miss it, but I sure could do it if it would be helpful...for a day or so anyway.:confused:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I get a lot of those hot flashes and for sometime I just assumed they were from menopause but I am way past that. I go hot and cold all night. I now use a separate blanket than my husband so I don't disturb him with the throwing the blanket on and off all night. From what I have read different hormones surge at different times. If you are sensitive to these hormones you might even feel a jolt once in awhile. Sometimes I will wake up from a deep dream state with a jolt. On days when I have worked out a lot, it seems I get surges of growth hormone in the morning which raises bgs. I really don't know how to control it. If you have any ideas, let me know. Sometimes even during the day I will get that hot feeling and test and find I am higher. I think it is my body self regulating glucose levels.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspect it is my cortisol, but I may try testing to see if I can catch it prior. I do know that Cymbalta caused me to get hot and then cold, just like menopause did, but since I was taking it for pain relief I quit and now I stay coldish until the early morning rush. I'll ask my endo when I see her next and see what she says about it. Maybe she'll have a thought about it.

Funny no one else feels it tho'.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ooooooh I get the hot flashes too......

I got all my hormones tested , thinking it was early menopause (I am 36) but apparently not...I never thought it could have something to with diabetes....

What a great post! Thankyou!

G

·
have you ever woken up at 3am to test your BGLs at all? Apparently that's the time most people have a drop in the BGLs (you could test other times between midnight and 4am). If you notice a low BGL and a higher one in the morning then it could perhaps be the liver dump that is contributing to the temp changes? Just a thought. :) I have noticed I get hot when I have hypos at night.

·
Registered
261 Posts
When I first lay down I'm hot. A little later I get really cold then wake up and have to get up and cool off usually sitting in front of the fan. Then when I lay down again I'm cold again.........I did notice that before my BGL was more under control it was much worse.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
YEEEEP, nothing like the cold-and-clammy feeling AFTER the hot flash.

It could be cortisol, too -- I am lowering my caffeine intake with some success in my Dawn Phenomenon BG readings ... might be worth taking a look at your numbers when clammy and again when hot.

I feel nauseated when chronically (like all day) low -- pumping out glucagon or something.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sometimes when you think something is only happening to you, you just keep your mouth shut and deal with it. I am so glad to know that this is happening to other people and what the possible causes could be. Don't get me wrong, I'm sorry it's happening to you, but I'm glad I'm not alone.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm also long past the age of menopause and I still experience these feelings of cold, then hot and then cold again. Since I wear a CGM almost constantly I can download the information from it to see if I happen to have a low blood sugar anytime during the night. What I've learned personally is that 3 times out of 4 when I'm feeling that cold, clammy then hot thing is - that I've gone pretty low at some point during the night. I try to wait until I see a definite pattern before I change my basal rates on the pump. Then of course the next night will be a 'normal night' (whatever that means). Sorry you are experiencing this Pat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am also getting these freaky feelings. My GP said it was Menopause because he didn't know what else to blame it on. Another Doc told me it was all in my head and I should go see a therapist.

My Endo told me that it is indeed the Cortisol & the adjustment of the natural insulin in the body. (That is contributing to my belly fat).
When I wake up with a jolt, that is the Cortisol & my body's other hormones shifting. It feels like the DP as well. She didn't give me any specific soloutions on what to do when this happens yet because she also found that my Thyroid is enlarged and there is a nodule on it. (I had an ultrasound this morning).

As soon as I find out I will post here so everybody knows.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let us know how your ultrasound goes, Madea. I'm glad you know what I'm describing...the jolt. Once it happens I can't go back to sleep...night's over for me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts