The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We decided to spend the weekend in Oklahoma. We have relatives there and my husband wanted to see an OU game. We had a great weekend catching up with family. We were watching football games last night when the dog started to bark and then the floor started to move. We heard a big boom and it sounded like a car might have crashed into the house. It lasted for about 5 minutes. The chandalier swayed for about 10 minutes. It was a freaky experience. We were staying at my niece's mom's house and when we got home the Grandfather clock started to chime. She then informed us that the Clock hadn't worked since she moved in 7 years ago. I guess the Earthquake awoke sleeping spirits. The good thing is no damage and no one got hurt. In Oklahoma you expect Tornados but not Earthquakes.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I'm glad everyone is okay! Earthquakes scare the bejeesus out of me, at least with a tornado you can hide in the cellar...

Hopefully the rest of your trip is uneventful. :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normally you don't think Earthquake when you think Oklahoma. I always assumed with Earthquakes the walls would shake and things fall on top of you. This was the wierdest sensation like the floor under you was moving in waves. My niece's kids were really freaked out. I guess there is no place that is safe from disasters. Here in Ohio , I know we have fault lines running under Lake Erie but I have never felt an Earthquake. I know they will report one on the news every so often but they are so minor. This one was the real deal. I guess if I lived in California I would be use to them.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I guess if I lived in California I would be use to them.
My first earthquake was in the late 70's when I moved here. It also was a 5 point something. I was babysitting for a friend, two 7-yr olds. We were sitting on the floor playing cards, I was dealing. The house started rumbling and I freaked! Is this the Big One? What do I do? How do I protect the kids? Is there something about door jams we should be doing? I have to breathe, not scare the kids, be the calm adult ... My mind was racing a million miles an hour and while it was I froze.

One of the California kids said, "Keep dealing - it's just an earthquake."

Reactions: jwags and Shanny

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about the door jam thing, too. My oldest daughter now lives in LongBeach, CA. She said the same thing. The first time she totally freaked out and everyone just went around oblivious. We were watching the end of the Oklahoma State game and they had just won and the people in the Stadium thought it was the fans celebrating.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
There's something about games and earthquakes. The Loma Prieta quake in 1989, now that one did scare the )(*$%@)(*& outta me. It was during some sports game or another, oh right, the World Series. :)

I had gotten home from work early, was changing clothes, and my cottage at the time (above a creek on stilts) began to swaaaay like a lantern. Door jam? To hell with everything I had learned, I wanted out of there! Trouble was, I couldn't make it so had to settle for the nearest one and be grateful.

Everything crashed. I can hear the smashing glass to this day. Furniture went over, hutches, bookcases, even the glass flush to the ceiling in a kitchen light fixture came out and crashed. Oh man. I was naked in the doorway. When it stopped I wanted out.of.there. Naked, but convinced this was The Big One. Pride. Life. Pride. Life. Made a beeline for it. Fortunately I lived in the redwoods and not on Main Street. Had some shorts and a tee in the trunk and put them on once outside.

Doorjams my patootie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts