The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this in an email:

Have type 2 diabetes? You may have noticed that your blood sugars tend to be higher after breakfast than other meals. This is called the "Second Meal Effect".

Thankfully, researchers revealed an easy way to counteract the effect in the latest issue of Diabetes Care. They theorized that a high-protein snack before breakfast would counteract this effect. And they were right.

When study participants had a high-protein snack before breakfast, their blood sugars were 40% lower than when they didn't snack!

For the study, the snack was 75g of yogurt and 25g of soy beans. That's about 15g of protein, 15g of carbs, and 6g of fat.

Your Turn:
This is an approach you can easily verify yourself. Simply select two days where you wake up with the same blood sugar and can have breakfast at 10am.

On day 1, have a high-protein snack at 8am. On day 2, skip the snack.
On both days, test your blood sugar before and two hours after breakfast.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Why not just have a high-protein breakfast? My BG doesn't rise after breakfast because what I have is sausage/ham/bacon & eggs, topped off with a pint of coffee with real cream . . . it's very filling and no carbs whatever to drive up my BG.

Other days I'll have avocado or guacamole & cheese crisps . . . again, no carbs, no rise in BG.

·
Registered
165 Posts
+1 mid morning is usually my worst #'s of the day. I have to go no carbs in the morning (i.e. eggs, sausage, bacon, ect.) and no coffee (for some reason the first cup of caffeine is not my friend but is ok after the midmorning hump)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
+1 mid morning is usually my worst #'s of the day. I have to go no carbs in the morning (i.e. eggs, sausage, bacon, ect.) and no coffee (for some reason the first cup of caffeine is not my friend but is ok after the midmorning hump)
Attention to the details like this is what brings success in controlling this cussed disease. Good to hear caffeine isn't off your menu completely . . . that would be a bummer.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I have been putting CO in my morning coffee ... and skipping all else until lunch!

And my BG at lunchtime (11 am for me) today was 76!

And that was with no morning insulin ....

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
For a long time I would always get a second spike 10am -noon. At first I thought it might be coffee, so I gave up coffee. Then I thought it was exercise, because I always exercised in the morning. I finally figured out it was my Diabetic body responding with liver dumps. What I found that worked was to change my metformin to 3 x a day. I take the first 850 when I wake up, the second around 10:30-11 and the last right before bed. This way I take most of the metformin in the morning when I spike. Sometimes I am not real hungry in the morning and will just eat nuts or some sprouted toast with Coconut Oil and almond butter spread on it. I can't face eggs that early in the morning but usually have them later in the day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts