The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... according to Reader's Digest.. "Basically, Dr. Atkins got it right with the Atkins diet, although he didn't get all the science right."

This is a interesting read in this month's Reader's Digest. Written by award-winning science journalists Gary Taubes. It's basically explaining why a low carb, high fat diet is really good for you and losing weight.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I like the New Atkins! They offer a LOT of good publication citations, and a great array of recipes and menus, even for vegans and vegetarians, in a range of carb levels.

Glad to see it showing up in a mainstream publication.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Well, when dieticians jump on the low carb bandwagon, I will be convinced. They are still handing out high carb, low fat diets to newly dx'd patients telling them without carbs they will die. I have lost lots of weight incorperating low carb and most of my friends think I am crazy. They think I am starving myself. When I try to explain what I eat everyday, they just don't understand. I was playing tennis yesterday and was getting burned in the alley with some wicked shots. One of my tennis friends on the changeover tells me she thinks my low carb diet is affecting my tennis game. Well yesterday morning I ate a higher carb breakfast with 2 pieces of Eziekel toast, almond butter and jam, for about 30 carbs. I was just having a bad day at tennis.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found my old Atkins book I bought many years ago and decided to refresh my memory. There is really some interesting information there. I found some good recipes and in fact ate microwave eggs and bacon which I remembered was one of my favorites when I was on the diet. I may buy the New Atkins diet just to check out the recipes.... Thanks for the info Fox...!:)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Bugg, the new one incorporates MUCH more vegetables, and has mostly recipes for sauces for meat (or analogs) in back! I really rely on it to guide me if I am unsure ... it does provide some limitation / restriction of calories, too. Which I seem to need, alas ...

jwags, your friend is BRAINWASHED. How insulting, though ...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I bet this is a universal experience - no matter what kind of diet/meal plan we are on, someone in our life will pan it, tell us it's bad for our health. Are most of those people overweight? You bet they are!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This is a interesting read in this month's Reader's Digest. Written by award-winning science journalists Gary Taubes. It's basically explaining why a low carb, high fat diet is really good for you and losing weight.
Taubes has written several books too, if you're interested in reading more . . . he's really good. There are videos too - search YouTube for Gary Taubes. Glad to hear RD picked up on it!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I always liked Atkins... not all the "low-carb food" they started pushing... but I think he got a lot of flack b/c nutritionists were saying he encourages you to eat a jar of mayo and lb of bacon every day - which is total bull. I have one of his earlier books and the recipes are full of vegetables, lean meats, seafood, etc.

My mom believes in starving herself b/c it's what she's been told by doctors - less fat, less calories, less salt... and she's STARVING her body. She's been doing this her whole life and has heart disease...so obviously it doesn't work to "cure" heart disease. Our bodies need to be nourished, yes we even need salt and fat... She's incredulous that I can lose weight and eat what I do, plus my bp and cholesterol are fine. This sugar thing is hereditary, I was first diagnosed insulin resistant in my late teens when I was a ballet dancer and very healthy... just like my hypothyroidism (dx at 10yrs old), I get it from my grandmother.

It's always made more sense to me to eat as close to the source as possible - whole foods, not processed... and that's really the basis of low-carb - the way I see it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Well, when dieticians jump on the low carb bandwagon, I will be convinced. They are still handing out high carb, low fat diets to newly dx'd patients telling them without carbs they will die. I have lost lots of weight incorperating low carb and most of my friends think I am crazy. They think I am starving myself. When I try to explain what I eat everyday, they just don't understand. I was playing tennis yesterday and was getting burned in the alley with some wicked shots. One of my tennis friends on the changeover tells me she thinks my low carb diet is affecting my tennis game. Well yesterday morning I ate a higher carb breakfast with 2 pieces of Eziekel toast, almond butter and jam, for about 30 carbs. I was just having a bad day at tennis.
Hi jwags! Where do you buy almond butter? Are there different types and what is the best?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi jwags! Where do you buy almond butter? Are there different types and what is the best?
I saw some in Costco today at a decent price.

Personally, I'd use a good food processor and make my own - it worked for making peanut butter...

G

·
I'm a big believer of having all food in moderation. I really can't get my head around increasing fat intake in your diet as a good thing. I also think limiting carbs per meal is a good thing, but I don't agree with this extremely low carb theory. I think it's a case of finding what works for you individually though as if it works well, and you don't get hardened arteries and the other nasties... then go for it. Here they teach you to use the plate and fill half with non starch vegies, then quarter with carbs, then quarter with protein. I find that works well for me when I follow that guide.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I guess I don't see Atkins as increasing fat. I don't intentionally add fat to my diet, I just don't restrict it or eat the reduced fat products b/c they have additional things added to them. I eat butter b/c I know what's in it - cream and salt. I won't eat margarine b/c it's made up of chemicals and fillers, and some are hydrogenated. I don't eat fake food, I think that is much more detrimental to our health than fat. We don't eat a pound of bacon a day, or even a couple slices daily... we have it maybe twice a week. I don't fry in oil or slather things in mayo or butter. I rarely use any kind of fat when cooking - we bake and grill most of the time. I do use butter or salad dressing with vegetables, because your body needs fat to help digest them.

I don't see anything wrong with eating whole, healthy foods, and that includes fat. We need fat, it has an important role in our bodies, as does salt. Of course you don't want to overindulge, but I don't think we need to restrict it to be healthy either.

So I think his diet gets a bad rap for the fat thing. I'm sure some people DO indulge in excess fat while doing low carb...because they can. But he in no way tells you to do that.

But yes, I agree, you have to find what works for you. :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Before I was dx'd with diabetes I ate a very low fat, high carb diet. Even though I was eating healthy fruits, veggies and whole grains I still got diabetes and my fastings were very hard. I think when you get diabetes it messes up your endocrine system. It took me several years of experimenting to find that adding fats really helps me metabolise my food and lose weight. I eat more meat now, most of it free range, but don't shy away from bacon, cheese, butter or full fat sour cream. I still eat some carb at each meal , usually 15 or so per meal, mostly from veggies or bran crackers or nuts. I started using the Coconut Oil last fall and have noticed so many benefits with bgs and my weight. I now try to add it to every meal.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I firmly adhere to "eat to your meter". If your BG is all over the place, then perhaps a few adjustments are in order regarding what is on your plate. Whatever else I've been advised by my doctor or taught in some other milieu, it all takes second place to what my meter tells me - every time. My meter rules.

G

·
@shanny - my BGLs all over the place atm and it's nothing to do with food. I can eat exactly the same meal twice in a row and get a perfectly fine BGL and then a not so good BGL the next time I eat it. I think I commented before that not only do you need to know what foods are best for you & eat to you meter... but you really need to know what else is going on that is affecting your BGLs.... so many other things affect it. Sometimes it just is out of your control as it is with me at the moment.... I have a sore head right now and have had it for days and I know what has caused it. :(
example of last night with food... I had sufficient carbs (mixed corn & potato -I'd normally get good reading with that) and still managed to plummet to 3.7 in less than 2 hours. I took one unit less insulin than I usually take and I would normally be sitting on anywhere between 6-10 after a meal... sometimes even higher. It could partly be this FODMAP diet I'm on that stuffing me around too on top of other things.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My apologies Mep, I wasn't targeting you. You have multiple gastric issues which your medical team is STILL trying to sort out.

The people I was talking to in my post are the newer patients who don't know yet why they can't get control, but who are reluctant to give up their corn and potatoes. Since you already know that corn and potatoes don't bother your BG, then you are exempted. But do please recognize that you are the exception. Most ordinary type 2 diabetics and many type 1 diabetics with insulin resistance, need to assess their diet before going off squalling that they can't gain control. For all of those who are still eating their bread/potatoes/rice/corn/etc., and can't figure out why their BG is still running high, make some adjustment on your plate until your meter gives you the numbers you strive for.

@shanny - my BGLs all over the place atm and it's nothing to do with food. I can eat exactly the same meal twice in a row and get a perfectly fine BGL and then a not so good BGL the next time I eat it. I think I commented before that not only do you need to know what foods are best for you & eat to you meter... but you really need to know what else is going on that is affecting your BGLs.... so many other things affect it. Sometimes it just is out of your control as it is with me at the moment.... I have a sore head right now and have had it for days and I know what has caused it. :(
example of last night with food... I had sufficient carbs (mixed corn & potato -I'd normally get good reading with that) and still managed to plummet to 3.7 in less than 2 hours. I took one unit less insulin than I usually take and I would normally be sitting on anywhere between 6-10 after a meal... sometimes even higher. It could partly be this FODMAP diet I'm on that stuffing me around too on top of other things.

G

·
thanks Shanny :)... I did assume it was directed at me, my apologies for misunderstanding you. I'm feeling rather sore & tired at the moment... I agree with you re: diet. Very important to get that right first. It's after you have figured that out and you still get the crazy BGLs that it gets frustrating. I've had a crazy week... I can't remember last time I had hypo everyday. I'm not working today and all I feel like doing is going to lie down and sleep... but staying up and keeping busy for now. Maybe just these health issues I'm dealing with wearing me down.

·
Registered
718 Posts
It does take a while to figure out what works for you. It's been 6 months and I feel like I finally have a handle on what to eat, when to take my meds, etc.

(I've been insulin resistant since my teens, but was dx with type 2 right before I got pregnant. I'd do the right thing and eat well with my previous two pregnancies, but when I wasn't pregnant it was off and on that I followed any kind of meal plan. A1c was 9.1 the month before I got pg, then 7.1 at six weeks, then 6.0... will be testing it again next week. I'll be 30wks pg then and have lost 20lbs since getting pg.)

Anyway... re: eating to you meter. My husband has expressed that he feels like that is cheating somehow. Not in a negative way, just as an observation. He likens it to deep breathing and relaxation before having your blood pressure taken. I explained it to him and said, if you are able to make yourself relax and drop your BP, then you don't have high BP, and it's not cheating. If you tried to relax and your BP was still high, then it would be a problem. I told him the goal with diabetes is to get the best readings you can... if that means adjusting meals and when you taken your meds, then that's what you have to do. I know that if I eat my bedtime snack 8-9 hours before I wake and test, my fasting is in range, but if I sleep in or eat it earlier, my number is over 100 - (caused by the glucose dump or dawn phenomenon?) That's not cheating, that's just timing meals and meds so that my number doesn't go too high. I moved my 2nd dose of meds back one hour because my 2 hour dinner numbers were a little too close to 120 for my liking, with a couple in the low 120s (recently learning about the importance of one hour numbers, I am glad I did this b/c I'm sure at one hour they were too high). I don't think it's cheating, I think it's realizing that I need help controlling those numbers, and having the meds in my system for a longer period of time before I eat helps with the control. I end up eating dinner when my meds start to peak.

I'm one of the few who can eat potatoes, and they have very little effect on my blood sugar. Corn on the other hand... took me months to figure out why I was getting numbers in the 160s... finally put it together that every time I got that number I'd eaten something that had corn in it - corn chips, taco shells, corn bread... I can eat popcorn or corn on the cob just fine, but processed corn is horrible to me. I'm so glad I can eat potatoes though. Pasta, even healthy pasta still affects me more than I'd like... and brown rice doesn't bother my numbers either. Bread does though, but I don't eat much of it - and BOY DO I MISS IT! LOL I used to eat 1/2 a loaf of fresh baked french bread with butter and not think anything of it. I can have my serving of bread, but my number will be at the upper limit. So I don't eat it often.

Boy I'm rambling today - sorry! I'm just so excited to have found people to talk about this with as crazy as that sounds. I get a little obsessive about my blood sugar...one day my readings were higher than usual and I freaked - going out and buying a new meter to see if it was me or my meter. It was me...but the next day everything was back to normal. I think it's the fact that there's no such thing as perfect control when it comes to this stuff, and the inaccuracies of the meters, and everything that goes with that...it annoys the heck out of me.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think the most frustrating thing about Diabetes is how it is so different in all of us. Some of us can eat almost anything and keep good bgs. I look at a carb and spike to 200+. For a long time this made me angry, but I am coming to terms with it now. I eat low carb because I have to in order to keep bgs down. If I ate the diet given to me by my dietician I would be 40 pounds heavier and my HbA1c would be over 8 most of the time. I suggest everyone find what works for them and do it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm just so excited to have found people to talk about this with as crazy as that sounds. I get a little obsessive about my blood sugar...
LOL Stephanie! I think we're all right there with you - it's such a relief talking with people who actually UNDERSTAND! And maybe we're all obsessive about BG, but we HAVE to be - there are darn few docs/agencies/other providers who get worked up over high BG - why that is I can't imagine. Keeping our levels low is what will save our lives and prevent complications.

Sometimes I think the ADA needs a swift kick in the backside to tighten up their guidelines. They aren't helping ANYbody with the advice they give - least of all new PWD who don't have any idea what to do next.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts