The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have been following the "eat to the meter". Sometimes even being a little fanatical about it, measuring more than I need to (with my Relion). Usually it has been fine. I decided to try a piece of pizza that they had at work. It was big so I cut it in half and ate just one half. I forgot it is probably double dough. I checked two times with a short time span and the level was 164 and then 200. OK, not doing that again.

The strange thing was, every 45 minutes or so after that I checked again. It went back to like 132, then 98, then 85, and then I felt strange and checked again and it was 62.

I can't figure out how it would go from > 200 to 62 in just a few hours? I had to eat a snack which brought it up again to like 140. Then later that night after a pork chop it went back to around 89.

But I still can't figure out the drop.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Hi

I have been following the "eat to the meter". Sometimes even being a little fanatical about it, measuring more than I need to (with my Relion). Usually it has been fine. I decided to try a piece of pizza that they had at work. It was big so I cut it in half and ate just one half. I forgot it is probably double dough. I checked two times with a short time span and the level was 164 and then 200. OK, not doing that again.

The strange thing was, every 45 minutes or so after that I checked again. It went back to like 132, then 98, then 85, and then I felt strange and checked again and it was 62.

I can't figure out how it would go from > 200 to 62 in just a few hours? I had to eat a snack which brought it up again to like 140. Then later that night after a pork chop it went back to around 89.

But I still can't figure out the drop.
Congrats! You're still making pretty good insulin. This is a normal reaction, especially if you've been reducing carbs prior to that. There's nothing wrong with 62. But, when you just came down so rapidly from over 200 it might not FEEL very good. The way to dampen the lower end of this swing if it happens is the same way you reduce the upper end of the swing: stay away from carbs.

BTW, when folks around me eat pizza, I take a few slices and pull the toppings off and eat that. That's where all the flavor is, anyway. When I'm done, I can no longer tell that state from having eaten the whole thing. The bread doesn't really add anything except for hardship - at least for us diabetics.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually did that in August at the Clover Bar in Grand Haven, MI. I ate like 5 or 6 pieces but only one with the crust. For the other pieces I removed the crust and ate just the cheese/ green peppers/ sausage. I could not really tell the difference and it did not affect my sugar.

Fricano's in Grand Haven, has really thin crust so there probably are not too many carbohydrates in that.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Or... the high fat of the toppings delayed the spike from the crust, so you didn't catch it. Can happen anytime up to 5 hours after eating.

Pizza, with crust, is usually problematic for diabetics - especially because of the delayed carb digestion.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
What VeeJay said.

Congrats on having a strong insulin response! Sympathies for zooming up to 200 then down to 62. That kind of dance would leave me feeling weak/sick for hours afterwards.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can your (normal) body/pancreas sense the sugar level and adjust the insulin or does it always inject a fixed amount?

·
Registered
105 Posts
So if that had been me mine would probably not have gone that high but it would NOT drop either. At max it would probably go 150 then take forever to come back down. I don't get it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
As John said, non-diabetics have a finely tuned mechanism which delivers exactly the required amount of insulin at exactly the required time to deal with surges such as these little pizza episodes. We insulin-challenged ones will always be a day late & a dollar short.

Since each of us has our own individual mixed up issues, there's no telling which combination of impaired pancreas, faulty signalling system, and other defective mechanisms causes any given spike and/or ensuing response. Which is why we find it easier to just not eat these things that play such havoc with our blood sugar.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Since each of us has our own individual mixed up issues, there's no telling which combination of impaired pancreas, faulty signalling system, and other defective mechanisms causes any given spike and/or ensuing response. Which is why we find it easier to just not eat these things that play such havoc with our blood sugar.
These are wise words, indeed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts