The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a couple of questions about this.

First, does it make a difference if I've just taken a glyburide? I'm taking it before breakfast and dinner, and if it's going to make a difference I'm only going to be able to test foods at lunch.

Second, is there an amount of carbs I should be shooting for to get a good test result? I tried it at lunch today with 1/3 cup (cooked) brown rice, but that's only about 14 net carbs.

Third, for testing should I just eat the test food, or can I go ahead and eat a regular meal and add the test food in.

For lunch today I had that 1/3 cup rice and most of a chicken breast with a french style butter thickened sauce. My readings ended up 110 before, 103 after 1 hr, and 101 after 2 hrs.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Glyburide will not kick in full strength for a couple hours, so it doesn't affect your numbers if you've "just" taken it... timing can take a while to figure out with the gluburide. I had to take one in the morning (7am) and one at 5pm so that it worked for dinner (7:30pm) and didn't send me too low overnight. Even doing that, I had to eat at 11pm before I could go to bed.

It all depends on what you meter says... start with one serving (15g), then if that does well, you're good. Or if you're stlil too low (as can happen with glyburide), up it another 15g. Definitely eat it with the rest of your meal, you need the protein and fat to balance the digestion of the carb. I can eat a carb by itself and get a high number, but when I pair it with cheese, I get a normal number. Also, for rice and pasta type things, you don't want to double the serving... if 1/3 cup isn't enough, you would then do 1/2 cup, not 2/3.

But, if your numbers are lower after a small amount of carbs, I'd want to try lowering the medication before adding more carbs...if that makes sense? You're still working your pancreas with the carbs and glyburide just makes it work harder. So, in the long run, it's better to eat less carbs and take less of the glyburide, than to take more meds and eat more carbs.

How are your fasting numbers?

How many times a day are you eating?

Are you getting any lows?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glyburide will not kick in full strength for a couple hours, so it doesn't affect your numbers if you've "just" taken it... timing can take a while to figure out with the gluburide. I had to take one in the morning (7am) and one at 5pm so that it worked for dinner (7:30pm) and didn't send me too low overnight. Even doing that, I had to eat at 11pm before I could go to bed.

It all depends on what you meter says... start with one serving (15g), then if that does well, you're good. Or if you're stlil too low (as can happen with glyburide), up it another 15g. Definitely eat it with the rest of your meal, you need the protein and fat to balance the digestion of the carb. I can eat a carb by itself and get a high number, but when I pair it with cheese, I get a normal number. Also, for rice and pasta type things, you don't want to double the serving... if 1/3 cup isn't enough, you would then do 1/2 cup, not 2/3.

But, if your numbers are lower after a small amount of carbs, I'd want to try lowering the medication before adding more carbs...if that makes sense? You're still working your pancreas with the carbs and glyburide just makes it work harder. So, in the long run, it's better to eat less carbs and take less of the glyburide, than to take more meds and eat more carbs.

How are your fasting numbers?

How many times a day are you eating?

Are you getting any lows?
Fasting numbers for the last 5 days:
131 today 123 night before
143 yesterday 105 night before
134 Thursday 107 night before
147 Wednesday 101 night before
155 Tuesday 101 night before

Eating 3 actual meals per day, but snacking when I feel hungry. A stick of string cheese, some pork rinds, nuts, celery w/peanut butter.

No lows that I'm aware of, but most of those high morning numbers follow low bed time numbers. I've tried a bedtime snack with mixed results.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yeah, the reason I asked was if you are taking it with dinner, you may not have enough food in your system to keep you from going low overnight, then your liver would dump and give you a higher fasting. But, it may also be the medication wearing off overnight. I'd suggest testing if you get up at night to go to the bathroom and see what you're at. That would give you a better idea of what to do with a bedtime snack. I ended up having to move my bedtime snack from 9:30 to 11:30 in order to get a good fasting number...it was 8-9 hours before my wake up / testing time in the morning.

You've been on this a while though, yes?

Your post meal numbers look great... but the 110 before lunch is high (and you fastings are too)...not sure if that's leftover from a high number after breakfast or a snack, or if you aren't eating, it could be going to low and dumping. Glyburide can be tricky.

With breakfast, I had to make it carb-free or only have about 7g, b/c the medication had not kicked in yet, since I took with WITH breakfast...know what I mean? That gave me a good number after breakfast, then I'd have 15-30g carbs with my morning snack so that I wouldn't crash from the medication. I had to eat every 2.5 hours after I took my medication for about two meals...

Meds + Breakfast - 7:30am

Morning Snack - 9:30am

Lunch - 11:30am

Then it would calm down, so I think that was my peak, and I could push my afternoon snack further out.

Then I'd take meds at 5pm, eat dinner (45-60g carbs) around 7:30pm...then my bedtime snack around 11pm.

It took me a while to figure everything out since the timing mattered so much as to whether it would be working by the time I ate my meals and so I didn't crash. Probably a couple months before I got it pegged.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the reason I asked was if you are taking it with dinner, you may not have enough food in your system to keep you from going low overnight, then your liver would dump and give you a higher fasting. But, it may also be the medication wearing off overnight. I'd suggest testing if you get up at night to go to the bathroom and see what you're at. That would give you a better idea of what to do with a bedtime snack. I ended up having to move my bedtime snack from 9:30 to 11:30 in order to get a good fasting number...it was 8-9 hours before my wake up / testing time in the morning.

You've been on this a while though, yes?

Your post meal numbers look great... but the 110 before lunch is high (and you fastings are too)...not sure if that's leftover from a high number after breakfast or a snack, or if you aren't eating, it could be going to low and dumping. Glyburide can be tricky.

With breakfast, I had to make it carb-free or only have about 7g, b/c the medication had not kicked in yet, since I took with WITH breakfast...know what I mean? That gave me a good number after breakfast, then I'd have 15-30g carbs with my morning snack so that I wouldn't crash from the medication. I had to eat every 2.5 hours after I took my medication for about two meals...

Meds + Breakfast - 7:30am

Morning Snack - 9:30am

Lunch - 11:30am

Then it would calm down, so I think that was my peak, and I could push my afternoon snack further out.

Then I'd take meds at 5pm, eat dinner (45-60g carbs) around 7:30pm...then my bedtime snack around 11pm.

It took me a while to figure everything out since the timing mattered so much as to whether it would be working by the time I ate my meals and so I didn't crash. Probably a couple months before I got it pegged.
It could be liver dumping. I'm about to cook dinner so I checked my level and it's 81. I think I'm going to see about cutting back on the glyburide or changing to something else.

I'm a little leery about bringing it up though. I had an appointment with the nurse Thursday and expressed some concerns so she had the dr. call me that afternoon. He looked at my log and suggested switching to insulin, but he was only seeing the morning numbers. I think I'll make a more complete log and drop it off and see if he changes his tune.

As for how long I've been at it, 2 weeks. And I'm very low carb, not over 30 grams/day since dx and usually under 20 grams/day.

·
Registered
718 Posts
With you being so low carb and on 5mg 2x a day and still getting high numbers after a normal postprandial, I would suspect lows and liver dumps...but I could be totally wrong. You would need to test several times a day (every hour for one day?) and see what you're doing to know for sure - and especially in the middle of the night. 81 is a perfect before dinner number though. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I guess I can strike potatoes from my list. 12 french fries (15 g of carbs) with dinner tonight. 81 before, 132 after 1 hr, 138 after 2 hrs.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Well, I guess I can strike potatoes from my list. 12 french fries (15 g of carbs) with dinner tonight. 81 before, 132 after 1 hr, 138 after 2 hrs.
Were they fast food fries? Or did you make them at home from potatoes? :)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hope springs eternal?

Keep the faith, you'll find some the rest of us cannot eat, as we all have. Was that the only thing you had that could explain it. For me it would be, but there are other kinds of fries I can have in moderate amounts...for example, sweet potato fries.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yep, there's sweet potato or rutabaga fries... or you can make baked zucchini fries too...bread with a little panko crumbs, or other low carb breading mix... they're pretty good :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ore Ida golden crinkles. I also had 2 small cheeseburger patties and salad with ceasar dressing.

I'll try sweet potato fries later in the week. I'll see what I get from 1/2 cup of brown rice tomorrow.

I've had a bunch of zucchini in the last 2 weeks. It's kind of my go-to veg for a low carb side dish. I'll get some dreamfields pasta and see how that works, too. Maybe mac and cheese.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Next time try making your own fries... the frozen ones are processed, which means they are mashed up or flaked, mixed with other stuff, then shaped into "crinkles"

Ingredients:

POTATOES, VEGETABLE OIL (PALM, SUNFLOWER, COTTONSEED, SOYBEAN, AND/OR CANOLA), SALT, DEXTROSE, DISODIUM DIHYDROGEN PYROPHOSPHATE, ANNATTO (VEGETABLE COLOR)

Dextrose is glucose. So not only are they processed, they add sugar.

Try eating REAL potatoes and you may see a difference :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You've about gotten this drill down pat, Chris . . . your numbers look a lot like mine - nice & low at bedtime but high fastings. I haven't piped up because I know nothing about glyburide, but the morning liver dump is most aggravating. You're doing well & you're getting good advice - keep on keepin' on - you'll find the combination. (sorry it means no taters though - that's the pits, eh? ;) Good luck with homemade fries - it just might work! )

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Try eating REAL potatoes and you may see a difference :)
Hah! I never thought to check the ingredients, I just assumed I liked them because of the cooking process. I'll try real potatoes before writing them off completely.

You've about gotten this drill down pat, Chris . . . your numbers look a lot like mine - nice & low at bedtime but high fastings. I haven't piped up because I know nothing about glyburide, but the morning liver dump is most aggravating. You're doing well & you're getting good advice - keep on keepin' on - you'll find the combination. (sorry it means no taters though - that's the pits, eh? ;) Good luck with homemade fries - it just might work! )
Thanks Shanny. I can handle losing taters if necessary. A diabetes diet is not that much of a hardship for me. Now if I ever become allergic to cheese I'll probably spend my days running in circles screaming. :)

Reactions: ShireenNS

·
Registered
718 Posts
You & me too! I was just saying to D33na that I'd starve without cream cheese!
I eat that straight out of the package! :)

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I can strike sweet potatoes from the list. Lunch today I had 6 oz. (pre-cooked weight) sweet potato fries, barbecued chicken with this bbq sauce, and salad. Started at 72, 1 hr 108, 2 hr 101.

I've definitely got brown rice on the list, though. I had 2/3 cup with dinner last night and my numbers were 98 pre, 109 1 hr, 115 2 hrs. Between 1 and 2 hr marks I had some strawberries and blueberries in cream with splenda, though. Didn't even think about messing up my test. I had thought about trying larger amounts up to 1 cup but 2/3 cup turns out to be plenty.

I'll get some dreamfields pasta sometime this week and see how that goes.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I'll get some dreamfields pasta sometime this week and see how that goes.
You might want to take a reading at 3 hours w/ Dreamfields as well, even 4, because reports are it can cause a later spike.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would also recommend the 3 hours test with the rice as well, u just never know. Is it great to know what we van and cannot eat

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

1 - 20 of 28 Posts