The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this recipe from my sister- and brother-in-law in Phoenix. A friend of theirs actually thought it up. It was great! And it clocks in at about 7 net grams of carbs depending mostly on who makes the chorizo. Four servings are quite generous; I'd say you could get 5 or 6 servings out of the mixture easily.

Egg and Spinach Brunch

8 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
avocado oil to saute, separated
1 lg white onion
2 garlic cloves
8 oz [200 g] box white mushrooms
2 Roma tomatoes
10 oz [300 g] package fresh spinach
2 slices of cheese (I used 1 slice of Havarti; you could use Cheddar, Colby, Jack, whatever)
1 avocado (garnish)
1 lb [400 g] bulk (i.e., not in links) chorizo (optional but you'll get fewer servings if you leave it out)
hot sauce

If serving with chorizo, prepare this separately and set aside.

Chop the onion into large chunks. Mince the garlic. Cut the mushrooms into chunks (or just buy sliced mushrooms). Slice the Roma tomatoes thinly (1/8 inch [3 mm] or thinner if you can manage it).

Saute the onion until it starts to brown (about 8 minutes). Add the garlic and saute another 2 minutes. Stir and add the tomatoes and saute until they start to break up when moved around the pan (a few minutes; I didn't write down that time). Stir and add the mushrooms and saute another 4 minutes. Stir again and dump the spinach on gradually, in layers. Let a layer go soft and dark green before you add the next layer (or they'll all clump up). Each layer should take only a couple of minutes. Turn the heat to Low or Warm.

Fry the eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste. The recipe I got calls for the eggs to be done just enough to leave the yolks runny because the yolks will thicken the sauce/spinach mixture, but I hate runny eggs. So fry the eggs as you like them; they came out fine.

On each serving plate, make a nest of equal portions of the spinach mixture. If serving chorizo, put a portion on top of the spinach mixture. Place a slice of cheese on top of that. Then place the eggs on top of it all. You can put on some avocado slices as a garnish and/or toss on some hot sauce.

This was terrific! Kind of a sweet (carmelized onions/tomatoes) - salty (cheese, chorizo) - spicy (chorizo, hot sauce) combination and not too much of any one of them. And very filling.

This recipe is easy to mess with. Adjust the ingredients as you have on hand or as you feel. Leave out the chorizo. Use a little less spinach if that's what you have. Serve only one egg per person if you have the cheese and chorizo on hand. Or leave out the cheese. Whatever.

And please pardon the plate (it's the grandkids'; apparently all of the grownups plates are in the dishwasher). Let me know if you make this and what you think of it.

Tableware Food Dishware Plate Table

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts
That looks like something I would love, even on a kids plate. Its gonna have to wait until after the next grocery trip though.

Reactions: MaJoie
1 - 4 of 4 Posts