1/4 cup erythritol crystals
5 drops EZ-Sweetz drops
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. butter
3 egg yolks (jumbo eggs)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped & sweetened a bit

Dissolve gelatin in cold water. Set aside.

Scald diluted cream (one minute on high in microwave) and add sugar, cornstarch, salt, gelatin (one or two more minutes on high in microwave, stirring at 40 sec. intervals). Add butter & beaten egg yolks, and cook one more minute on high in microwave. Cool.

Add vanilla to eggs mixture and fold in the whipped cream. Pour into a nut crust or baked pie shell if desired. Sprinkle generously with fresh grated nutmeg. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.

One serving = 1/8 of pie
filling only:
calories per serving: 185
calories from fat: 170
total fat: 19g
saturated fat: 12g
trans fat: 0g
cholesterol: 69mg
sodium: 51mg
total carbs: 2g
dietary fiber: 0g
sugars: 0g
protein: 2g
vitamin A: 15%
calcium: 3%

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i don't have ez drops or erythrotol :(

is that crust a reg flour pie crust?
Yes it is. Because I was trying to duplicate what our daughter tried last week, I put it in a regular crust so we could give her some hints on how to get it right. She said she wanted to give the recipe to someone who knew how to make it & could tell the difference between whipping cream & table cream! (she tried to whip table cream & finally gave up after half an hour . . .)

But the nutritional values are for the filling only.

Go ahead & use whatever sweeteners your accustomed to using . . . her recipe called for sugar, so I just swapped that for what I normally use, which is erythritol for cooking.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Is the milk that you scald the 1/2 cup cream and the 1/2 cup water mixed? Confused..nothing new there though :p

·
Registered
916 Posts
Is the milk that you scald the 1/2 cup cream and the 1/2 cup water mixed? Confused..nothing new there though :p
hhaha I think its the 1/2c cream. the 2T water is for the knox. IDK maybe we should wait for the right way lol. I don't see where the 1/2c water is added.?? Not only that my sweetner has corn starch in it so I am wondering if I shoud add more.(splenda)

:noidea:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Please forgive me the mess I made converting this to low carb - at least the mess I made conveying how to do it! I've tried to edit the recipe, so tell me if it's clearer than mud now, okay? :eek:

<later>

I have also discovered the origins of this recipe . . . a 1979 cookbook from the San Francisco Junior League named San Francisco A La Carte. (Full disclosure: The junior league adds a tablespoon of bourbon to the mixture.
)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Please forgive me the mess I made converting this to low carb - at least the mess I made conveying how to do it! I've tried to edit the recipe, so tell me if it's clearer than mud now, okay? :eek:
[/SIZE]
Makes perfect sense now, thanks Shanny :)

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
[/I](Full disclosure: The junior league adds a tablespoon of bourbon to the mixture.
)
Ahh, I'd be =increasing= the font on 'bourbon' vs the other way around. I see a mini-bottle of bourbon just for this recipe in my future - sounds delicious.

Now I wish I was at home and could check how that old family Sherry Pie recipe was made. I'm a little afraid there were marshmallows involved - but thinking throwing in the usual suspects for a cream pie - and adding sherry - should do it. I googled and found this one Sherry Cream Pie Recipe, How To Make Sherry Cream Pie, Pie Recipes which looks good. How to get around the milk? Would a 1:1 cream:water work, you think?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Wondering if, given the eggs and gelatin, one even needs to 2T cornstarch?

Basically any custard pie recipe, with bourbon and nutmeg added, would work.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And I was wondering about YOU, whether with the eggs & cornstarch you couldn't get by without the gelatin! I'm betting either way would work . . . add an extra egg yolk for one thing - oughta compensate for either the gelatin or the cornstarch. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts