The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a new way to enjoy my eggplant. Got the idea from show I was watching.

Peeled the plant, sliced a little less than a 1/4 " thick. Took two slices and placed a thick slice of mazz cheese between them. Dunked them in an egg wash, then low carb breading, threw in hot coconut oil. Fried on each side for minute or two then placed them on cookie sheet and baked at 350 for 15~20 minutes. Let them cool for while that hot cheese will burn the bejesus out of your mouth, experience speaking here.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
WOW!!! that sounds good. Did you let the slices of eggplant sit on a rack to get the bitterness out like you do for other dishes? I would have never thought to fry the whole bundle.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just peeled, sliced, and fried, the cheese seems to take out the bitter flavor.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Eggplants that need salting are pretty much gone. The newer hybrids do not have that bitterness.

This sounds lovely, Marty -- thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
All of you are brave IMHO as I have never tried eggplant in my entire life. Never knew how to prepare it either.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They taste similar to fried green tomatoes, or fried squash. Eggplant is a really good alternative to noodles in making Las. Peel, slice long ways about 1/4" thick, brush one side with Olive oil and a little salt, place them the oven rack oil side up and bake at 350 until brown and dried up a little. Use them in place of your noodles.

All of you are brave IMHO as I have never tried eggplant in my entire life. Never knew how to prepare it either.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
OMG - I wish someone would serve these to me - right now!

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I LOVE eggplant! And moussaka, and ratatouille, and eggplant parmesan, and plain old breaded/fried slices (LC breading of course), and, and, and . . . This "mozzarella melt" will be wonderful! Thanks, Marty!

Save time by getting the oriental eggplants if they are offered; they are thin-skinned & not bitter . . . they don't need salting down or peeled, & you can still get a good-size slice from them by slicing diagonally.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am taking this to the next level tonight. Thin sliced, one slice then moz. cheese, then the other layer, brushed with CO, covered with parm cheese. Baked at 450 till brown, turn them over, brush with more CO, then more parm cheese, back into the oven they go. I'll let you know.

Reactions: moon

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am taking this to the next level tonight. Thin sliced, one slice then moz. cheese, then the other layer, brushed with CO, covered with parm cheese. Baked at 450 till brown, turn them over, brush with more CO, then more parm cheese, back into the oven they go. I'll let you know.
To my suprise they came out even better than yesterdays. If I wasn't the one who made these I would have sworn they were potato skins. Really crispy\crunchy on the edges, soft chewy in the middle. Minds racing, I'm thinking bacon bits, green onion, and sour cream, I've made myself hungry and I just got done eating.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got back from the store with everything I need to make my fake potato skins, can't wait.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Tomato basil soup ? Where ? Omg........I dearly love tomato soup ...slurp...slurp :)

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Wish I lived closer. Tomato basil soup tonight (not Sybil's recipe) and it was very good, but I'm still a bit hungry!
You have this recipe.......please.......please......:) :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts