The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The people that I frequently use for additional sample analysis raise their own chickens. She has been giving me a dozen or so every couple of weeks of range free eggs. They are really good. But this hot weather has gotten them just a laying right now, she has 4 dozen waiting for me. What am I going to do with 4dzn eggs.

How does everyone boil their egs as to be able to get the shell off with out destroying the egg. Its a hit or miss for me, sometimes its like they fall out of the shell other times I got to take a spoon and scrap them out.

Looks like sticky Pete rides again after I finish off 4dzn eggs.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
What am I going to do with 4dzn eggs.
Can use a dozen doing a breakfast casserole and then freeze the squares. I love having those around.

But mostly, pls note, FedEx serves California.

Reactions: Shanny and MCS

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Oh, whoopee, at last I can help you...

From Heloise years back....

for perfect hard boiled eggs....

Cover your eggs in cold water, bring water to a boil, cut off and put lid on....set timer for 15 minutes. Pour water off eggs when timer goes off. Sling eggs around in pan until shells break in several places. Take one at a time and peel easily under running water...keep others hot in pan until you are ready for another.

Works like a charm!

Now, do I get the prize of a dozen of those beauties?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
When I do mine once they come to a boil I boil for 13 minutes. Turn off. Put a lid on them for 10 minutes. Then put in an ice bath. Works most of the time. I have some stubborn ones on occasion :) Learned this from the "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef" Anne Burrell.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am terrible at peeling eggs, thanks for the suggestions. As for all those eggs I would make some of those quiche like egg muffins and pop in the freezer. I'm sure there are lots of recipes that use tons of eggs. Those cream cheese muffins use about an egg per muffin. I would assume you could freeze them. How about making some cheescakes.

Reactions: MCS and Carolina

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I do eggs the same way you do, Pat, but ... I find inconsistency still. Very fresh eggs can be difficult - older ones are easy.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I have tried a bunch of different ways. Since I make 3 dozen hard boiled eggs a week... I finally found something that worked well for me every time.

1. Use old eggs. I let them sit in the fridge for 5 days.
2. Poke a hole in the fat end with a pin. That lets water in between the egg and the shell.
3. Cover in cold water and let come to a boil. Turn off heat, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
4. Put eggs in ice bath for 5 minutes.
5. Crack egg in a few places and then roll on the counter under your palm.
6. Start at the fat end and start peeling. If you are lucky it comes off in a single strip.
7. I like to dunk it the water bath after peeling to get any remaining little bits of shell off.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'd be making lemon curd . . . so yummy!

5 whole eggs
5 egg yolks
2 cups sugar or equivalent in sweetener
1 cup lemon juice
2 tsp. lemon peel
1 stick sweet butter

Combine eggs, egg yolks and sweetener in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Add the lemon juice and lemon peel and mix. Place the bowl over a pot of boiling water or in the top of a double boiler and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens. This mixture will not curdle, so don't worry about overcooking it a little. Remove the bowl from the boiling water and stir in the butter until melted. Keep refrigerated.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks I will be giving these methods a try. That lemon curd does sound good.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The fresher the egg the harder it is to peel. This may sound bad to some but we will buy the eggs that are still in date but the closest to going out of date to use for boiling. I think maybe the membrane is a little dryer and releases the egg easier.

Reactions: Daytona and MCS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Humhum said:
The fresher the egg the harder it is to peel. This may sound bad to some but we will buy the eggs that are still in date but the closest to going out of date to use for boiling. I think maybe the membrane is a little dryer and releases the egg easier.
That's true about fresher the egg harder it is to peel. My Aunt had a poultry farm and fresh eggs are impossible to peel. As the eggs ages air escapes and the egg shrinks from the shell. For years in stores I would shake an egg next to my ear to hear if it sloshed around, if so I knew it was fresh or not. One day someone asked me what I heard so now I look around before checking.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Perfect hard boiled eggs. Use a pressure cooker. Place room temperature eggs on low bottom rack. Thirteen fit in one layer in my pressure cooker. Add water just to bottom of eggs. Bring to pressure and cook for only six minutes. Reduce pressure under cold water. Slowly fill pan with cold water. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Remove eggs. Dry. The shell separates during pressure and the shells just fall off when you peel them. Best eggs - always. And no, they don't explode. Let me know if you try this. You young 'uns who have never used a pressure cooker sure miss out! There are so many uses.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts