The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the storms across the south and severe weather in some sections of the United States, our support group started discussing whether we needed emergency diabetes kits that could be taken with us if we needed to leave our homes and apartments. I kept a diabetes emergency kit for several years, but three years ago, I cleaned it out and stopped keeping one. Any ideas?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks skb, Maybe this one need to be frozen or deleted.
A lot of people have joined the forum since "some months ago". Not a bad idea that a subject like this can't be revisited at this time of the year. Kinda like being told every year to set your clocks back. I mean...who really remembers what day to do that?! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
195 Posts
This is always an important topic (emergency kits in general). I do not have an emergency diabetes kit. If I suddenly had to vacate my home, then I would be able to quickly grab my current diabetes supplies and toss them into my overnight bag. But I have not planned for an emergency happening while I was away from home (at work for example) and not being able to get back home to pick up some emergency supplies. At this point, I am only taking one medication - Metformin one tablet, at dinner time. I should probably pack 10 pills in a ziplock bag and place them in my glove compartment. That way, I could at least be sure I'd have that ten-day supply, even if I didn't have my testing equipment.

·
Super Moderator
9,940 Posts
Is there a shelf life and is it affected by heat and cold? Not just meds, but testing supplies as well.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Is there a shelf life and is it affected by heat and cold? Not just meds, but testing supplies as well.
I think there's a dynamic to 'diabetic emergency kits'. By dynamic I mean...your spare tire has a 6-year shelf life before it's considered 'questionable'. Rubber has a shelf life. All tires, therefore, have a 'born on date code' right on the sidewall. The lug wrench that you use to loosen and tighten the lug nuts to change the tire...that probably has a 100,000 year shelf life.

In other words...pay attention to your medication and testing supply's expiration date and rotate those with new supplies. It's not an emergency kit if it doesn't work.

·
Super Moderator
9,940 Posts
I knew the answer. I just sometimes try to make a point by stating it as a question.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts