The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
I am not a doctor, but I do not understand why they don't want you to correct a high. Novolog is used to control meal time blood glucose and to correct a high. You can always adjust your insulin at your next meal, but if you have already had your last meal of the day, that would mean that you would stay high overnight. I guess you can try drinking the extra fluids to help bring down a high but I have never had any luck with it. I know that exercise will help some in lowering your blood glucose, but if my blood glucose is high (over 250) I am not about to go out walking and run the possibility of getting too sick to make the trip back home. Let us know if you have any luck with the extra fluid intake if you are high.
I am not a Doctor either, but as I understand it, although you eat extra to treat a hypo, the body's counter-regulatory system is also (eventually) triggered, and you use up normal reserves creating that bounce-back high after a hypo. Ignore a high following a low & drink extra (to counter the extra urination) because if you increase your insulin, you can easily cause another low, and you will probably end up 'chasing your tail' with insulin adjustments.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.